User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

Apple goes vertical?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Apple goes vertical?
cosus
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to cosus Send a message via AIM to cosus Send a message via MSN to cosus Send a message via Yahoo to cosus Send a message via Skype™ to cosus 
2010-02-02, 15:27

Vertical integration that is.

I watched the video of the iPad and less the actual fabrication, Apple has made everything themselves. That's how they got the price to be under $500. This all spells out that they'll have incredible profit margins on their new devices. A strong likelihood that the chip will be in the new ipod touch and iPhone. No need to buy a Qualcomm chip like the Nexus or an ARM. No more using different chips for all their products. For the moment 1ghz on these devices is the Cadillac of the mobile device world. For the moment, they just are like a chipmaker for game consoles, a couple years of this speedy chip being made, price of making the chip will go down, but the price of the device will remain the same. As the competition catches up and when they need a faster one, they could always relegate the old chip into a cheaper device, similar to when the iPhone3G was replaced by the iPhone 3GS.

On top of all that, they're developing their product to be able to compete with computers. An ecosystem of software and hardware to make it function more like a laptop. Developing iWorks for the iPad, selling accessories like a keyboard and a USB/SD dongle for cameras, making the feel iPad more like a laptop. Who know what other devices can be connected considering the accessories already provided. As for software, I doubt they'll stop there. Perhaps light version of their professional programs, something at 1.5lbs and just need to load photos and use "Aperture lite".

The Apple ecosystem, just another way of saying vertical integration with people.

This tablet will is great for apple and as I said, with their own chips, they'll have fat margins regardless of success. What is it they said, they plan to sell 9 million? Well, there are times I find a laptop quite clumsy with the tablet they offer the convenience of both worlds. Hell, my netbook really can't do anything other than type or surf the web, video in my experience is totally out of the question.

To be honest, I like Apple's way customization. I like the simplicity which make me just a bit more care free. Though I hate I can't that I can't just switch sim cards on an iPhone when I need to travel international... that makes me want to get the Nexus.

Retired 8 years ahead of schedule.
¡Damned!

2010-02-02, 15:58

Chicken Little, thy name is *insertnamehere*

Nothing is going to change for fuck's sake.

The iPad is a device. With higher-res. People may now need to re-design their beer apps to accommodate a pitcher.

Honestly, I read the whole OP, and I came away with ..... Bleh. Nothing new. Just another bleh.

I'm getting really fucking sick of the whole "iPad is teh debbil" bitch.

It's a fucking hi-res iPod. People are going to make tons of money developing for it.

It's NOT the end of OS X you fucking retards. Fucking Christ. Get your shit together.

So it goes.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2010-02-02, 16:05

GAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!
Run for the hills!!!

:: Drew runs through room dressed in feathers and squirting mustard out of a caulk gun ::

cosus
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to cosus Send a message via AIM to cosus Send a message via MSN to cosus Send a message via Yahoo to cosus Send a message via Skype™ to cosus 
2010-02-02, 16:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
Chicken Little, thy name is *insertnamehere*

Nothing is going to change for fuck's sake.

The iPad is a device. With higher-res. People may now need to re-design their beer apps to accommodate a pitcher.

Honestly, I read the whole OP, and I came away with ..... Bleh. Nothing new. Just another bleh.

I'm getting really fucking sick of the whole "iPad is teh debbil" bitch.

It's a fucking hi-res iPod. People are going to make tons of money developing for it.

It's NOT the end of OS X you fucking retards. Fucking Christ. Get your shit together.
Actually I was pro iPad and said nothing of OSX. It was more about the brilliance behind vertical integration rather than wasting money on buying some generic chip. Apple certainly sells enough mobile devices to warrant making their own chips.

Retired 8 years ahead of schedule.
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2010-02-02, 16:11

Hasn't Apple always had a vertical business model? How is this new?
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2010-02-02, 16:14

I think 709 is posting in the wrong thread.
¡Damned!

2010-02-02, 16:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosus View Post
Actually I was pro iPad and said nothing of OSX. It was more about the brilliance behind vertical integration rather than wasting money on buying some generic chip. Apple certainly sells enough mobile devices to warrant making their own chips.
Whoh.

Then I totally misread. I will re-read, an issue an apology if warranted.

That said, a fucking "return" once in a while would've been OK.
¡Damned!

2010-02-02, 16:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcimedes View Post

¡Damned!

2010-02-02, 16:24

Oh god. My profuse apologies cosus.

Totally knee-jerk reaction on my part. I read the OP, but apparently the angle you took didn't stick. I saw keywords and just kind of freaked out. My deepest apologies, again.

I guess I'm just sort of full. The iPad is what it is. Everyone knows that, so I'm tired of the bullshit.

Wrong thread for my awesome rant, as it were.

Again, apologies to you. Death to the whiney bitches.

So it goes.
¡Damned!

2010-02-02, 16:31

I still abide by every word I said in the initial post, btw.

Just take it as as "709's reaction to the iPad reaction."

So, right. Fuck you.
¡Damned!

2010-02-02, 16:39

Drew got mustard in my fucking eye, btw.
zsummers
Avast!

2010-02-02, 16:39

Quote:
Whoh.

Then I totally misread. I will re-read, an issue an apology if warranted.

That said, a fucking "return" once in a while would've been OK.
Quote:

Quote:
Oh god. My profuse apologies cosus.

Totally knee-jerk reaction on my part. I read the OP, but apparently the angle you took didn't stick. I saw keywords and just kind of freaked out. My deepest apologies, again.

I guess I'm just sort of full. The iPad is what it is. Everyone knows that, so I'm tired of the bullshit.

Again, apologies to you. Death to the whiney bitches.
Quote:
I still abide by every word I said in the initial post, btw.

Just take it as as "709's reaction to the iPad reaction."

So, right, fuck you.
Quote:
Drew got mustard in my fucking eye, btw.
The iPad, on top of being responsible for the death of Mac OS X, computers, creativity, and God, is also responsible for making various forum members insane, apparently.

And, to bring this thread remotely on topic... yeah: vertical integration. When you have ridiculous amounts of cash lying around, it makes sense?

"How could you falter / when you're the Rock of Gibralter? / I had to get off the boat so I could walk on water. / This ain't no tall order. / This is nothing to me. / Difficult takes a day. / Impossible takes a week."
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2010-02-02, 16:40

Quote:
Jesus dude, talk about blowing your wad for nothing!

I bet you have your best moves when the chick turns out to be a tranny, too. Awesome.
¡Damned!

2010-02-02, 16:45

Oh lord. I'm fucking macgeek2010.

I think I'll just slink away for a bit.....
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2010-02-02, 16:47

Quote:
Oh lord. I'm fucking macgeek2010.
How is he? I bet he criticizes your technique a lot.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-02-02, 16:51

Aww. <3 709
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2010-02-02, 16:56

Nawwww, we're just going to point and laugh for a while, 709, and then it'll all blow over.

I'm sure it won't be more than a few months before you live this down. A year, tops.

Epic.
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2010-02-02, 16:57

sheet happens.
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2010-02-02, 16:59

We love you 709!
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2010-02-02, 17:41

I actually liked the post, I even gave it reputation before this whole "wrong thread" thing happened.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2010-02-03, 13:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcimedes View Post
Yes but I got a very good laugh out of it, so well worth it IMO. Well played 709. Brutal honesty FTW.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2010-02-03, 16:39

It's all good - I wanted to add rep to the string of posts from 709 adding different comments as to the reason for the rep, but it has been so long since I participated in the rep system that I forgot you get that "spread some love" warning. So, one green dot from me with one truncated reason - but the whole exchange was gold.

All I want is a simple life
twitter
zippy
Veteran Member

2010-02-03, 16:57

It's best when you read 709's complete original post including his signature.