User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

iPhone: what fields will sync from Address Book to iPhone Contacts?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iPhone: what fields will sync from Address Book to iPhone Contacts?
apple007
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2007-08-01, 14:11

I travel a lot for work. Instead of carrying around 75 frequent flyer and hotel loyalty cards, I got into the habit of simply storing those membership numbers in my phone (in each company's phone book entry).

Apparently some but not all Address Book fields sync over to iPhone; apparently the "notes" section of an AB entry does not sync (?). Does anyone know exactly which fields can or cannot be synced to iPhone? Thanks.
apple007
BANNED

2007-08-01, 14:32

Unless someone comes up with a better idea, I'm going to stick these numbers in the "Title" field since that field is otherwise unneeded for company listings. Hopefully that will work okay.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-08-01, 14:35

Actually, the "notes" section of Address Book does indeed sync over to iPhone...that's where, in Address Book, I've meticulously entered all the business hours of the various stores and restaurants I've got in Address Book/iPhone.

That way, I can tell at a glance, on my phone, how late a particular restaurant or bookstore is open, if I happen to be in the area at night or whatever. I use this all the time, and it's a very nice tidbit of info to have, literally, at your fingertip.

So you should be able to put that stuff into Address Book, in the notes field, and it'll come right over to your iPhone!

Do a quick test to confirm, if you're curious...type something in the notes field of one of your Address Book entries and sync your phone...
apple007
BANNED

2007-08-01, 15:15

Interesting; thanks. I thought I had read that AB Notes wouldn't sync over to iPhone. Maybe I got confused with the Notes app or iCal's notes. (I guess I have too many damn notes to keep track of.) Thanks again.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-08-01, 15:48

No prob. I'm happy Address Book does this because I've always put little tidbits about people or businesses down in the notes field. When I got my iPhone two weeks ago, one of the first things I thought about was "I hope it all syncs over so my phone is a true mirror of the info I have in Address Book". It did.

I think Leopard's new Mail notes will sync with the phone too. I believe we'll see a somewhat major iPhone update upon Leopard's release because I believe there were some Leopard-specific functions meant for the iPhone but they got put on hold when Leopard was pushed back to October.

That's my take on it, anyway.
apple007
BANNED

2007-08-01, 15:49

Thanks again, 'scates. Not only do the AB Notes sync over, it's actually a fairly elegant implementation.