User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

Rather complex windows XP/bootcamp question

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Rather complex windows XP/bootcamp question
ZachPruckowski

2006-07-01, 15:34

Ok, this question is pretty tricky. I have a legitimate XP license when I bought it bundled with Virtual PC about a year ago, because my parents told me to get it, not realizing how much VPC sucked. Anyways, I didn't realize that bundled meant "on the same CDs". So I hope to get a Mactel this summer, and I want some advice as to how to use that XP license on the Mactel. According to MS (which I doubt), it's legit to move it from VPC to the Mactel. But I can't install to Boot Camp off those CDs (there's no individual XP installer, and there's no SP2).

What are my options insofar as getting a Boot Camp situation set up?

Thanks for your time.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-07-01, 15:42

So those CDs come with a preinstalled Windows? Or do they include the installer, but you can't run it on your own; it runs automatically?
MagSafe

2006-07-01, 16:46

Could you not borrow a Home Edition SP2 disc from a friend, use that to install BootCamp and then use the valid VPC licence you got?
julesstoop
Veteran Member

2006-07-01, 17:34

When in doubt, you could ask Microsoft if this is legitimate.
ZachPruckowski

2006-07-02, 18:52

According to MS, it's legal to use that XP Pro key. For all intents and purposes, it's a retail key. The CDs seem to auto-install a customized VM version of XP. And it lacks either SP.

So my only real option is to find a friend with a retail XP Pro SP2 CD?
sunrain
Veteran Member

2006-07-02, 20:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachPruckowski
According to MS, it's legal to use that XP Pro key. For all intents and purposes, it's a retail key. The CDs seem to auto-install a customized VM version of XP. And it lacks either SP.

So my only real option is to find a friend with a retail XP Pro SP2 CD?
It's the license they care about, not the media. Businesses buy licenses all the time that come with no physical media. Since you have a legal license, I wouldn't even feel nervous about having a copy of the media. Consumers have to actively (and stupidly) draw attention to themselves in order to find Microsoft at their door. I've only heard of businesses being audited for their software licenses, never for copies of media.

If your license was a copy, that would be another thing entirely.

"What a computer is to me is it's the most remarkable tool that we've ever come up with, and it's the equivalent of a bicycle for our minds."
- Steve Jobs
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2006-07-02, 20:35

Just so I'm hearing you right- You're saying that if I have a license but my CD is borked, I can just go up and ask my friend to borrow his CD and install it, and I'm still in clear?

What an interesting concept...
halo1982

2006-07-02, 21:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana
Just so I'm hearing you right- You're saying that if I have a license but my CD is borked, I can just go up and ask my friend to borrow his CD and install it, and I'm still in clear?

As long as you use your original license number, then yes.
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2006-07-02, 22:22

Why not just download it? You could have it downloaded in like 2 hours.
Partial
Stallion

2006-07-02, 23:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachPruckowski
Ok, this question is pretty tricky. I have a legitimate XP license when I bought it bundled with Virtual PC about a year ago, because my parents told me to get it, not realizing how much VPC sucked. Anyways, I didn't realize that bundled meant "on the same CDs". So I hope to get a Mactel this summer, and I want some advice as to how to use that XP license on the Mactel. According to MS (which I doubt), it's legit to move it from VPC to the Mactel. But I can't install to Boot Camp off those CDs (there's no individual XP installer, and there's no SP2).

What are my options insofar as getting a Boot Camp situation set up?

Thanks for your time.

Bit-Torrent an ISO. As long as you have a license and the package you're downloading doesn't have a serial it won't be illegal. Do that, use the license included with your cd.
sunrain
Veteran Member

2006-07-02, 23:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana

Not only that, even if you made a copy of that CD and Microsoft somehow decided to show up at your door, I doubt they'd flinch if you had your valid license right alongside.

"What a computer is to me is it's the most remarkable tool that we've ever come up with, and it's the equivalent of a bicycle for our minds."
- Steve Jobs
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2006-07-02, 23:54

copy, I already know that.

Using a different media with your original license, I didn't know that.

It came to me as sort of a shock because I was under impression that media=license and licenses live/die with the provided media.

I have two CAD programs that is forever attached to this Dell, meaning if I should upgrade my computer, I would have buy a new license to transfer to my computer. That's extreme and not typical of your usual software; but I do recall that you cannot use OEM media to repair a legitimate version Windows, hence my thinking.
ZachPruckowski

2006-07-03, 23:34

The funny thing is that I checked Bit Torrent just for the heck of it, and I had a hard time finding an uncracked version, or a non-corporate version. I'm going to borrow a friend's CD I think, since between all my friends, there are several BYO computer people, and one of them will have a retail copy of Pro.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2006-07-04, 00:29

Plus then you know what's on the CD. Never know what's been added to a torrented uploaded version of XP. Although the cracked versions are significantly more suspect.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me