Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Disabling/fixing preview in Finder

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Disabling/fixing preview in Finder
Koodari
Veteran Member

2004-10-16, 18:23

So, I have all these divx/whatnot video files, and I'm trying to use Finder in column mode. The Finder wants to show a preview using Quicktime, only Quicktime does not have the right codecs, and whenever the focus is on any of the videos, I get the nag "Quicktime server does not support...". I found the option to completely disable the preview under "View Options", and I guess this is what I have to use - but I'd really like to see the big icons, and preferably also text+picture+music previews, which are not a problem at all. Is there a way to tweak Quicktime server so it doesn't try to show the video preview, preferably at all?
Paul
Veteran Member

2004-10-16, 20:50

yes there is a fix... but it gets pretty involved...

the way I see it you have to disassociate quicktime from those file types... but the extension is the same...

Do a search for RCDefaultApp
Quote:
RCDefaultApp is a preference pane to set the default application used for various URL schemes, file extensions, file types, and MIME types. MacOS X uses the extension and file type settings to choose the application when opening files, and Safari and other applications use the URL and MIME type information for content not related to a file.

These defaults can be overridden on a per-file basis using the Get Info panel in Finder. If a file has a creator, that will also override any settings here. The default application for a file extension overrides the one for the file type.

Reverting to the system default does not work for all types, unfortunately.
Then change the mime types of the files in question to work with VLC or some other player...

Also do you have the latest divx plugins?

1215/234215 (top .51875%)
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one business model. -EvilTwinSkippy (/.)
Koodari
Veteran Member

2004-10-17, 07:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
yes there is a fix... but it gets pretty involved...

the way I see it you have to disassociate quicktime from those file types... but the extension is the same...

Do a search for RCDefaultApp
Then change the mime types of the files in question to work with VLC or some other player...

Also do you have the latest divx plugins?
Okay, I'll try that. I don't have quicktime plugins, since I never use QT Player, and VLC + MPlayer can play all files I want to play.
Paul
Veteran Member

2004-10-17, 10:42

you should download as many QT plugins as possible, a lot of them work very well...

you could also try to right click on the files in question, click open with -> other... and then select VLC or MPlayer AND MAKE SURE YOU CLICK THE BOX THAT SAYS ALWAYS OPEN WITH THIS APPLICATION. The icon of the movie should no longer be a quicktime icon and should change to the application you chose...

There may also be an option to "open all files of this type with this application" but I haven't had as much success with it.

People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one business model. -EvilTwinSkippy (/.)
Koodari
Veteran Member

2004-10-17, 10:54

So, it's MIME types I have to change? How do I find out what MIME type the problem files are?

I admit to being somewhat confused about filetype/MIME type/extensions, especially MIME types, how the system recognizes them, and what programs care about them. Filetype and extension seem like a mess, and it's weird Apple hides the details when they are necessary to know what the system is about to do.. anyway, I understand roughly how filetypes/extensions work.

I changed the default app from Finder before posting the initial post. It does not affect the Finder preview. Sorry for forgetting to mention it.
Paul
Veteran Member

2004-10-17, 13:51

thats what I figured...

you have to find out what the resource of the movie file is...

open the files you want to fix in quicktime and get information about the movie. There should be a 4 letter code (MIME) then associate that one with VLC instead of quicktime...

you could also get this information from a resource editor and it would probably be a lot more straightforward... unfortunately I am not really familiar with them in OS X... the last time I played with resources was with ResEdit in OS 9...
There are OS X versions of these apps, but I don't know which is "the best" so I haven't really explored it yet...