User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

REAL WORLD Test on Nehalems

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
REAL WORLD Test on Nehalems
canyon_Carver

2009-08-03, 19:56

So I just finished the 48 hour film project.

The numbers:
Shot on two Panasonic HVX200s, with 16GB p2 cards.
Sennheiser Shotgun Wireless Mics - Line In

Shot in 720p/24pn DVCPROHD, PCM Audio

In total we had 394 clips shot in a single day.

Our finished time was 4:40.

----
Now for the new 2.66 8 core Nehalem ProMacs - each with the midrange video card, 8 GB of Ram, Separated Dual Boot Environments with 24" Monitors and Cintiq 12ux secondary monitors.

---
How fast is the computer in the PRACTICAL REAL WORLD of Film Production?
4:40 of finished runtime in HD 720p/24pn, An average of 3 layers of Video and 12 Channels of Audio.

wait for it....

Final Render time to exported movie:
10 seconds.

Can I get a GAWD.....GAWD DAMN!
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2009-08-03, 21:49

Uh... do I take it you were using Final Cut Pro 7? Compressor? 4:40 = 4min 40seconds or 4 hours 40 min? Also there is no mid-range card on the Mac Pro unless you're considering the GTX 285 high end. 4870?

...into the light of a dark black night.
canyon_Carver

2009-08-04, 22:55

Final Cut 6.

4min, 40 sec.

The secret-- separated timelines, all with a shared network drive for their preview files. As each editor was "directed" to Prerender prior to sending nested timeline forward to master station -

Networked Preview files were the secret.
¡Damned!

2009-08-04, 23:13

No, pre-rendering was the "secret." Networked proxies are pretty common, anyways.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2009-08-05, 07:34

Yeah, FCP has been doing pre-rendering for a long time and times like that have been achievable on much older hardware thanks to it.
canyon_Carver

2009-08-06, 23:47

yes, I understand that prerenders have existed for quite sometime, and generate in the background.

But when you have 5 separated networked machines, (w/o FCP Server) locating their preview files to the same location- and you consolidate the final project on one computer - you reduce and/or eliminate the need to process prerenders in the background due to their shared/available status of the preview files.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2009-08-07, 13:17

This thread is a bag of hurt.
¡Damned!

2009-08-07, 13:27

Seriously.
canyon_Carver

2009-08-07, 14:25

well...what are your real world tests? This is real practical experience in Professional 720p24n 422 HD video....what have you done? lets hear it.
You tear people apart for offering true feedback....no wonder this place has gone to hell.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2009-08-07, 14:31

It has? How come none of you bastards told me this place has gone to hell?? I'm outta here! Damn degenerates.

And hey we didn't start thread, so we don't have to meet any requirements there, but as a general rule when you use a title like that people expect many data points and test types, and not something that can be mimicked by older hardware.

...into the light of a dark black night.
¡Damned!

2009-08-07, 19:15

Oh please. You started a thread ostensibly about how fast Nehalem is in the "REAL WORLD," yet what you provided was a single, flawed anecdote mixed in with a bunch of bullshit that doesn't even have anything to do with what you're talking about.

Your OP is 50% background setup, and you didn't even mention how fast digitizing time was, what input card you were using, nothing. Then 20% machine specs, failing to mention GP make or model, and then emphasizing the monitors because they surely have something to do with how fast the machine is.

THEN, you get to the meat, finally, and it is indeed impressive. But, oh, wait, that's not really what happened.

Can I get a CLARIFICATION.....YEAAHAW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by canyon_Carver View Post
Final Cut 6.

4min, 40 sec.

The secret-- separated timelines, all with a shared network drive for their preview files. As each editor was "directed" to Prerender prior to sending nested timeline forward to master station -

Networked Preview files were the secret.
Oh. Well, no shit. You pre-rendered the files. Now that we know that, your entire OP can be distilled into:

"My Nehalem ProMac [sic] assembled 04:40:00 of pre-rendered 720p video in 10 seconds!.....GAWD DAMN!"

Which is still impressive, no doubt, but nothing that deserves gratuitous capitalization, even though I understand that's your thing.

Secondly, you were wrong about the "secret." Networked drives containing proxie files are standard fare in any post house, FCP Server or not. And since it was the pre-rendering, not the networked drives that facilitated the "speed", it kind of implied you didn't know what the hell you were talking about. Which brings us to this:

Quote:
yes, I understand that prerenders have existed for quite sometime, and generate in the background.

But when you have 5 separated networked machines, (w/o FCP Server) locating their preview files to the same location- and you consolidate the final project on one computer - you reduce and/or eliminate the need to process prerenders in the background due to their shared/available status of the preview files.
You don't know what the hell you're talking about.

Even if I could make sense of that rambling, it would still be wrong.

Quote:
well...what are your real world tests? This is real practical experience in Professional 720p24n 422 HD video....what have you done? lets hear it.
You tear people apart for offering true feedback....no wonder this place has gone to hell.
I understand you're geeked about your machine. I'm happy for you. It's a fine beast. But seriously, if you want to start a thread about "REAL WORLD" testing, at least do some testing to report on. I'd especially like to hear more about this "Professional 720p24n" (whatever the hell that is). It sounds a bit like the plain-jane 720p video I work with when clients cant afford to shoot 1080p or 4K, but if it's "Professional" I need to know about it, being in the business of that sort of thing for ~15 years now.

As for your final cheap-shot, it sounds like just that. Sorry a few of us here that actually know what we're talking about responded to your thread. I won't make the same mistake next time.

So it goes.

Last edited by 709 : 2009-08-07 at 23:29. Reason: nm :/
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2009-08-07, 20:26

canyon_Carver: you know what would be impressive? The current that thing sucks out of the wall when rendering.
¡Damned!

2009-08-07, 21:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs View Post
It has? How come none of you bastards told me this place has gone to hell??
I haven't seen anybody pass through yet.

They're *supposed* to stop here on their way, but I can tell you, it's been pretty dead (hah!) in my part lately. You guys should be going through my section.

I don't know.

So it goes.

Last edited by 709 : 2009-08-07 at 22:06.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2009-08-07, 21:59

Really?

It looks like Kickaha's been skipping his stops.

I hate to say it, but I think you should file a compliant with Hell Express.

and I thought he was a cool guy...
¡Damned!

2009-08-07, 22:10

It's probably not his fault. Things have been crazy lately.

I'll ask though. There's been such a clusterfuck lately with the "star" section that I've even had to take over check-in a couple of times. I hate those people. Too needy and soft. And stupid.

I love my section. All mine. I'm the only person you'll see during the changeover. I get pretty much all the atheists, agnostics, readers, lovers....generally anyone that thinks they'll be dirt. Surprise! HAHA.

I don't actually say "surprise," as most people are thoroughly freaked out anyways, and that would only traumatize them further. Though I'd love to with some people. There are some, even in Purgatory, are self absorbed assholes.

So it goes.
Swox
OK Mr. Sunshine!

2009-08-08, 01:38

What the hell are you guys going on about? I haven't a clue...
zsummers
Avast!

2009-08-08, 02:08

You know, I always thought Nehalem sounded kind of religious.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2009-08-08, 06:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swox View Post
What the hell are you guys going on about? I haven't a clue...
This:

Quote:
Emphasis mine.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-08-08, 12:17

And see also: 709's long-held user location
Swox
OK Mr. Sunshine!

2009-08-08, 13:41

The first part I got, but I missed the user locations thing

Now I get the joke.
Artap99
Totally awesome.

Send a message via AIM to Artap99  
2009-08-10, 01:34

Quote:
How fast is the computer in the PRACTICAL REAL WORLD of Film Production?
Practical real world? Like rendering a 2K cinefilm transfer? Or you mean like your four year old camera with a fixed lens?