User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

IBM making all 3 videogame consoles chips!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
IBM making all 3 videogame consoles chips!
chaos123x

2005-03-11, 21:02

Thats right it is finally official IBM is making PPC for all three consoles from Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft.

The Nintendo chip is called Broadway.

The Microsoft chips are the Xenon.

And the Sony are the much fabled Cell Processers.

With IBM making so many PowerPC based chips in through the next 5 years, how do you think it will effect the deveopment and production of G5 cpu's (or G6) and the price and availbilty of Mac systems..

Now that IBM is going to making a huge volume of PPC chips will this help or hurt the MAC Maker?
NaMo4184

2005-03-11, 22:18

the chips for all there are basically already made and there will be now improvement upon them. Right now IBM is just going to sit back and watch the digits add up. The biggest effect I think it will have for G6 is huge R&D. IBM has to come up with something much better and they have 5 years to do it. Any improvements made to the powers lines will probably benefit the next chip.
baaron

Send a message via AIM to baaron  
2005-03-11, 22:59

More experience for IBM in developing better chips will be better for all of us. (Both gamers and mac users... even mac gamers...)

I imagine that new factories or whatever will be built to meet the demands of the three consoles. (Maybe even to help with the demands from the mac sector.) How many million chips will they go through in five years??? Hundreds, maybe even thousands. Wait, that would be billions. Never mind, I'm babbling.

With all this practice, I don't see why IBM would be in such a rush to get a G6 out to market. Even the G4 is still being improved upon. (By a different company, of course.)

I like Bawls and Rocket Fuel! (See http://www.xoxide.com/)

D00D, like 1337 totally man, have you seen Anchorman???
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2005-03-13, 15:45

This is old, old news. I know that Microsoft confirmed they'd use PowerPC processors for the Xbox successor at last week's Game Developers Conference, but it was heavily rumored (i.e., we already knew) beforehand. People have been cracking jokes about IBM being the winner of the next console war for probably close to a year now.

And "Xenon" is the code name of the Xbox successor, not of the processors inside it.

Sorry if I sound like a smartass...but this is just really old news.
chaos123x

2005-03-14, 00:25

Nintendo's Broadway PPC chip was just announced this week. Before Nintendo was just rumored to be using IBM chips again.

Also X-box 2 or xenon just recently that indeed the new chip would be PPC and not some kind of AMD/IBM x86 chip that was also rumored.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2005-03-14, 16:56

OK, believe what you want. Somehow, with our vast psychic powers, me and many other followers of the gaming industry were fairly certain that both Nintendo and Microsoft would use IBM's PowerPC technology.

I don't remember very many rumors that Microsoft would use AMD processors. I mean, doesn't anybody else remember that whole fiasco with the "leaked" photos of Power Mac G5 development kits for the Xenon?

Several Xenon spec sheets have been leaked over the last year or so, and pretty much all of them showed similair specs to what was announced at GDC. Pretty much the only hardware suprise was the included 1.2MP videochat camera.

This comes from someone who is a gamer first, and a Machead second...
Henriok

Send a message via AIM to Henriok  
2005-03-15, 06:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman
I mean, doesn't anybody else remember that whole fiasco with the "leaked" photos of Power Mac G5 development kits for the Xenon?
Actually.. I havn't seen any photos of the Xenon dev-boxes, but i sure would like to.

And.. For the sake of argument. There's a difference between "fairly certain" and "confirmed". Now it's _confirmed_ that all three will use PowerPCs in some form, two weeks ago it wasn't.

And.. I would like some more specs on Broadway. All we know right now is the name, and that doesn't satisfy my curiosity one bit. Id also would like the name fot the Cell processor in PS3. I just can't go around calling it "Cell" since that's the same as going around saying that the new iMac is using "PowerPC" as a processor.
BenRoethig

2005-03-15, 08:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos123x
Nintendo's Broadway PPC chip was just announced this week. Before Nintendo was just rumored to be using IBM chips again.

Also X-box 2 or xenon just recently that indeed the new chip would be PPC and not some kind of AMD/IBM x86 chip that was also rumored.
An X86 chip may yet be in Xenon's future. Microsoft is supposed to also have an Xbox PC running Windows MCE. I don't think they'd make a PowerPC version of Windows MCE. Stranger things have happened though.
NaMo4184

2005-03-15, 10:51

This would be a great time for apple to make some killer game developing software... if there is such a thing. I assume that apple is the only "tried and true" maker of ppc hardware and software, so it would be nice for them to show off the developing side of tiger to these guys.
Tuttle

2005-03-15, 11:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaMo4184
This would be a great time for apple to make some killer game developing software... if there is such a thing.

Killer game developing software? Apple can't even ship graphics drivers on par with the x86 world.
chaos123x

2005-03-15, 14:38

So how will this effect the MAC market?
BenRoethig

2005-03-15, 14:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuttle

Killer game developing software? Apple can't even ship graphics drivers on par with the x86 world.
That's because apple could really care less.
¡Damned!

2005-03-15, 16:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman
Pretty much the only hardware suprise was the included 1.2MP videochat camera.
Henriok

Send a message via AIM to Henriok  
2005-03-15, 18:56

Forget about it.. OT posting in wrong thread.
NaMo4184

2005-03-17, 00:55

...okay how about this. Since all these systems are running powers processors how about does something that makes it very very easy to go from OS X platform to PC including linux. If apple could do something that makes it more efficient to use os x as a crossing place to PC games then wouldn't they just pop out mac versions because its easy! and they can money while easily porting to other operating systems. thats really what I meant.

And more optimization for games of course

John Coltrane's 'Giant Steps'
BlueRabbit
Veteran Member

2005-03-17, 03:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaMo4184
...okay how about this. Since all these systems are running powers processors how about does something that makes it very very easy to go from OS X platform to PC including linux. If apple could do something that makes it more efficient to use os x as a crossing place to PC games then wouldn't they just pop out mac versions because its easy! and they can money while easily porting to other operating systems. thats really what I meant.

And more optimization for games of course
I seem to remember making a rather lengthy post about this a while ago; basically, if Apple could make a deal to have some sort of cross-compatibility between consoles and the Mac, it would be awesome for both sides. The console/game makers get more money, and Apple sells more computers. Also, if you consider the Mac mini for a bit, you can almost see it as a videogaming console that has computer functionality. In other words, the stage is set for Apple to Trojan Horse their way into this market.
Tuttle

2005-03-17, 03:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRabbit
I seem to remember making a rather lengthy post about this a while ago; basically, if Apple could make a deal to have some sort of cross-compatibility between consoles and the Mac, it would be awesome for both sides. The console/game makers get more money, and Apple sells more computers. Also, if you consider the Mac mini for a bit, you can almost see it as a videogaming console that has computer functionality. In other words, the stage is set for Apple to Trojan Horse their way into this market.
If I'm Sony and am own the ten billion or so a year console market, why would I even consider such an idea? Or Nintendo who is raking in the cash with their segment of the console market year after year?

I really wish these 'console games on the Mac' topics would just die.
chaos123x

2005-03-17, 16:25

This isn't a topic about console games on MAC...

The topic is, If IBM making all the processers for all three consoles.. what effect will that have on Macintosh processers market?