Apple Services

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Apple Services
Page 2 of 5 Previous 1 [2] 3 4 5  Next Thread Tools
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-05-19, 17:04

Two things:

1) I renamed this thread to just "Apple Services" instead of "Apple Services 2019". Makes more sense going forward.

2) This makes my day! Finally something on Apple TV+ worth my time. I love Tom Hanks, and for Apple to land this movie means I will get to see it on launch day, will be able to avoid pesky, overpriced theaters, and the whole family can watch it for freeeeeeeee!

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2020-05-20, 03:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
I watched all of For All Mankind. Fantastic show. Good in ways I wasn’t expecting. Best sci-fi ever? No. But absolutely great, and a good sign for a launch title.

Then I watched The Morning Show, a bit more reluctantly. Got pretty good after a while. Had an excellent episode towards the end of the season.

Started watching Little America. Cute and interesting.

I think they’re doing a pretty good job. I’d say they eventually have a shot at eventually becoming the HBO of the 2020s. They don’t quite have a cult phenomenon yet, but come on, they’re only three months old. Give it a year or two and see if they steadily keep adding good stuff.
Started watching Defending Jacob and it seems kind of generic so far.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-06-30, 14:06

Since YouTube TV is a competitor to Apple TV+, I'll go ahead and ask this question in here.

Does anyone actually pay for YouTube TV? Holy cow, they just raised their rate to $65/month!

I have a difficult time finding value in anything of Google's, other than stock YouTube. Seriously, though, $65/month?

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2020-06-30, 14:56

YouTube TV, never heard of it.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-06-30, 15:58

I know, right?!
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2020-06-30, 19:31

Used AT&T/DirecTV but switched to Hulu Live's bundle package awhile and love it. Big UFC guy so there's a lot of built in value.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-07-01, 09:43

I read that article about the price going up and was astounded. I too didn't even know it was a thing let alone that expensive!

I have AppleTV+ thanks to buying an apple product but I actually don't watch it either. In fact, I'm rarely watching TV at all. Even with the stay-at-home stuff (which my state seems to have completely thrown out) I don't have the time to watch TV.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-07-01, 10:43

Yeah, I watch a couple shows/week at most, so I'm pretty particular about it. Google TV has nothing compelling to offer, even at the imaginary "entirely free forever" price point. I get Apple TV+ for free because I bought a new Apple TV, but I got that specifically for Disney+. Most of the content I watch is on YouTube, so as long as it remains "free" (paid for by surveillance advertising ) none of the other services has anything of any value, especially at $65/month. Holy cow, what a ripoff.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-09-01, 13:24

Finally, something on Apple TV+ worth watching.

Well, I did watch that Tom Hanks Greyhound thing. So, I guess there are two things worth watching.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2020-09-01, 14:23

Ted Lasso is a fabulous, fabulous show.

I'm not much of a soccer fan, but golly I get it.

Last edited by drewprops : 2020-09-01 at 16:51.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2020-09-01, 20:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post

I’ve watched it. It has some funny bits but is overall pretty bland and mindless.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2020-09-02, 01:15

Oh YEAH??? Well YOU'RE pretty bland and mindless!!

/PettyInternetFight

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-09-02, 08:05

Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2020-09-02, 10:30

Quote:
Oh YEAH??? Well YOU'RE pretty bland and mindless!!

/PettyInternetFight

It's basically a multi-season series that should have at best been an SNL skit inspired 75 min movie.

But, because of Apple, the production value of the show is incredibly high.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-09-02, 10:48

Quote:

I took your word for it and my wife and I watched the first two episodes last night. We both enjoyed it.

The plot is very Major League/Bad News Bears. So far not terribly original, but the main character is fun and his positive attitude is very contagious.

So far, so good.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2020-09-02, 19:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Ulysses View Post
It's basically a multi-season series that should have at best been an SNL skit inspired 75 min movie.
Wow. I couldn't disagree more. I can't figure out how this could be a skit? Well, to each their own!

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2020-09-14, 15:02

The best joke in Ted Lasso is probably almost entirely lost on the US Audience:

"Is Wales a country?" "Yes and no."
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-09-14, 15:42

Oh, I caught it.
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2020-09-15, 12:35

Fitness+ with new training videos every week being added? Holy shit. And for $9.99 and sharing with 5 people, that's amazing.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-09-15, 12:37

Family sharing for it! Now that is huge!
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2020-09-15, 12:41

The AppleOne pricing bundles and which ones they've chosen to group in which levels are like the exact opposite of what I personally would want? I wish AppleNews was in the cheaper bundle because that's the only one I pay for right now, I'm an individual person who'd just want the News+ and Fitness+ and the iCloud, but TV and Arcade can be skipped..

"A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my anger!" - Darth Baras
twitter ; amateur photographer ; fanfiction writer ; roleplayer and worldbuilder
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-09-15, 12:46

I'm paying $9.99 a month for iCloud for my family right now. I'm not sure I'm wanting to pay an additional $20 for Fitness+ and the others since we don't use them. I could more imagine me adding just Fitness+. Music is nice, but I don't want to subscribe to anything if I can help it. I'd rather pay once and own it, the worst is I'd rather pay annually.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-09-15, 14:39

I was doing the math with Mrs T and I think we will try Fitness+ but pay the Annual fee assuming it is what we think it will be. I'm not willing to pay an additional $20 a month to maintain my 2TB iCloud and add other options I don't want. I'll be giving Apple $16.66 for what I actually want as opposed to $29.99 for things I don't really want.

I mean, we could call the iTunes Match I pay for annually part of my costs. That is a total of $18.75 a month (roughly) if we get Fitness+ and stick with it.

chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2020-09-15, 15:14

(On some other place, someone complained that $10/mo is a lot. I don’t know that it is. For example, Peloton is $39/mo on top of a $1800-3000 bike. Is Peloton better than Fitness+? In some ways, I’m sure. Is it four figures up front plus four times the price each month better? Maybe not.

And $80/yr, if this isn’t an awful service, sounds like a steal.)
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-09-15, 15:19

Given MRs T and I already track our workouts with our Watches this fits right in. For the price of two months with Peloton or maybe four months with Fitness Company X, $80 a year is a steal. We had eyed getting an exercise bike for the house but finding one that is a good bike without a required monthly fee is actually a bit challenging. With Fitness+ (as described) we would really benefit from having one without $40 a month going to another subscription.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-09-23, 13:54

I started watching Long Way Up. I've only seen the first episode at this point but it has me interested enough to watch a second. The thing I really dislike about it is the over done dramatics of tension they create. Like when they are looking at the trucks before they are ready. The music shifted, the faces all got long... I mean it really didn't make the show better if you asked me.

Given my point of reference for this kind of show is the three from Top Gear doing a motorcycle trek, maybe I'm just ill-prepared for these two "hosts".

kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-09-23, 14:42

The Long Way series have been fantastic. I agree that there was a bit too much drama in the first episode, especially considering we already know the trip was successful. Still, I absolutely love the series (The Long Way Round is one of the best "see the world" shows I've ever seen). I've watched all three current episodes of Long Way Up, and have seen both of the others in their entirety, and have really enjoyed them.

On another note, Ted Lasso has been one of the best shows I've seen in ages. So, thanks for the recommendation to Drew.

¡Damned!

2020-10-19, 12:51

Sooo... MTV is kinda fun? Unexpected for sure. Not that I'll have it on in the background all the time but I am definitely a sucker for music videos.

So it goes.
chucker

2020-10-20, 02:11

Just like with Beats One (now split into multiple stations), I don't think having one video station with all the genres is a winning concept.
¡Damned!

2020-10-20, 09:14

True. I expect they'll expand with curated playlists, genre and whatnot. Even with just this live stream though I'm enjoying it - I'm seeing a lot of videos I'd never otherwise look for, even if I'm familiar with the song.

So it goes.