Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Tiger Screen saver bug

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Tiger Screen saver bug
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2005-06-16, 15:26

To the best of my knowledge this is the best forum for this...but I may be wrong, if I am, feel free to move this.

Anyway, I believe I've found a bug in Tiger. Sometimes I leave my computer for short periods of time and instead of putting it to sleep I'll put a screen saver up because it's easy and it's password protected. (There's a lot of people that come in and out of my place and I don't want them using my computer). I installed Tiger yesterday and today I had class so I put up the screen saver like normal and to test it I moved the mouse...the screen saver turned off, no password prompt.

I went into System preferences and into screen saver and desktop, no password protection option, turns out it's in "security" (logical I suppose, but I think it would make more sense to have the option in the screen saver preference.) The "password protect screen saver" box was checked like it should be, so I un-checked it and re-checked it and tested the screen saver again, it worked this time. A second test failed, again the screen saver just turned off with no password prompt.

I un-checked and re-checked the box again, tested again, and it worked. Tested again, and it didn't work. What's the deal? It's the same with all screen savers as far as I can tell. I'm prompted for a password when restarting, when waking from sleep...just like normal. Auto login is not enabled.

I spoke with Quagmire (Undertaker) and he was experiencing the problem as well.

Anyone else having this problem? Any solutions? Should I notify Apple or is this an isolated incident?

By the way...Mac OS 10.4.1, PowerBook 12" 1.33ghz, 768mb RAM, super drive.

Come waste your time with me

ghoti
owner for sale by house

2005-06-16, 15:28

In Windows, the screen saver won't ask for a password if it's deactivated less than five seconds (or so) after it started. Maybe that's the same in Tiger, and when you tried it, you didn't wait long enough?

DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2005-06-16, 15:30

You're right, Quagmire figured it out for me.

Thanks for readin about my problems.

This thread can be locked.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-06-16, 15:35

So, you're saying taht now there is a delay before asking for a password? Before locking this up, would you share with us how long the delay is?

This is a welcome addition for me if the delay is short like 5 seconds. Otherwise, I'd hit Apple with feedback.

(I'm only on 10.3 machines at the office right now.)

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.

ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2005-06-16, 15:37

On a related, but different note, sometimes when I wake up from sleep (there is a password prompt) to use my system again...but other times there isn't. So I have to put the computer back to sleep and wake it up again, to get the prompt. Weird, no?

DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2005-06-16, 15:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
So, you're saying taht now there is a delay before asking for a password? Before locking this up, would you share with us how long the delay is?

This is a welcome addition for me if the delay is short like 5 seconds. Otherwise, I'd hit Apple with feedback.

(I'm only on 10.3 machines at the office right now.)
The delay is about 2 seconds as far as I can tell, and it's consistent now that I've tested it. To be honest, this is a welcome addition for me as well because I use a hot corner to activate the screen saver and now I don't have to worry about entering in a password should I accidentally mouse over to that corner.

No Apple feedback necessary.

And I've always had it ask for a password when waking from sleep, that's remained consistent. No problems there.

Come waste your time with me

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-06-16, 16:00

Tres awesome.

Actually, I believe 10.0 - 10.2 had a very small delay like this and I that it was taken out with 10.3. I'm glad someone else complained about it on my behalf.

Now, by request, Mr. Dancy Lock gets to par-tay!

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.