Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Advice needed on how to shoot artwork

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Advice needed on how to shoot artwork
Satchmo
can't read sarcasm.

2009-04-13, 12:48

I know there are some avid photographers here so I'd like to hear your thoughts on this. I'm looking to shoot a bunch of printed sample of projects I've worked on over the years. Most are letter size, a few tabloid ones. I'd like to capture closeup elements with some depth of field effect. Probably all on a white backdrop.

I'd rather not outsource a professional photographer at this point. If I can get it done myself, I'd prefer that. But of course, I just have an old P&S camera.

So, what is the minimum set-up? Some sort an overhead dolly to afix a SLR camera to?
Basic lighting? What's the minimum level DSLR camera I need? (I was thinking of getting one, or perhaps rent one for a day)
Swox
OK Mr. Sunshine!

2009-04-13, 13:46

By the sounds of it, you can go with an entry level DSLR - a Canon Rebel XT forward or a Nikon D40 forward would do the job just fine, unless you're planning on really blowing these things up to poster size or something. I'd check out what Henry's (www.henrys.com) has used, seeing as you're in TO. Call their main store ((416) 868-0872) and their outlet store ((416) 368-8258) to see what they have in stock.

What you really need for this sort of work is a good lens, especiall if you're looking for some DOF effects. You're going to need something with a max aperture of at least f/2.8, but probably even more, like f/1.8 or f/1.4. If you're going with Canon, I'd get the 50mm f/1.4, or rent it if you don't think you'd use it otherwise. I'm sure Nikon has an equivalent. Sigma also makes quite a good 50mm if I recall correctly.

I'm not sure what the overhead dolly would be used for. Wouldn't a tripod do the job?

Do not be oppressed by the forces of ignorance and delusion! But rise up now with resolve and courage! Entranced by ignorance, from beginningless time until now, You have had more than enough time to sleep. So do not slumber any longer, but strive after virtue with body, speech, and mind!
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2009-04-13, 14:36

For a job like that, pick up a low end DSLR and a 50mm F1.8 prime and you'll be all set. You could go for a 1.4, but the difference in depth of field is hardly noticeable. As for what brand to go with, Nikon and Canon are your best bets IMO. I'm a Nikon shooter myself so I would recommend them, because IMO the cameras are nicer, but if you by a DSLR body you are buying into a lens system. If all you want to do is shoot art with shallow depth of field consider picking up a used DSLR and lenses, it will save you some money and you'll still have a good camera. If you go Canon, a Rebel series is a good choice (The XT is no longer sold new), and for Nikon a D40/D60 with the new 35mm 1.8DX lens is a good choice. I know I said a 50mm 1.8 is a good choice, but none of the Nikon primes other than the 50mm 1.4G and 35mm 1.8G DX auto focus on the D40. Of course if you are working with art and you want precision focusing, you might want to manually focus anyway.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2009-04-13, 14:52

Just an example of what you can achive with a F1.8 lens wide open.

Satchmo
can't read sarcasm.

2009-04-13, 15:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swox View Post
I'm not sure what the overhead dolly would be used for. Wouldn't a tripod do the job?
I wanted to shoot mostly from overhead down onto the artwork. Wouldn't a tripod's leg get in the way? Or is there some sort of arm extension. Sorry, I'm not that versed with the lingo or way to set this up.

PB PM, thanks for info. I may consider used or renting something...Vistek has some decent rates in around $70/day. Not sure what or if that includes a lens. Probably not.
BTW, that DOF has quite the sharp drop off.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2009-04-13, 15:13

Yes, F1.8 has an extremely narrow area of focus.
Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2009-04-13, 16:05

I'm not going to repost them here but if you head over to the Color Photography thread, look at my cat pics. Those were taken with my new Canon 85mm 1.8 lens. Digital Rebel XT.

I like it mostly because it was ~$300 as opposed to the ~$1000 a 50mm 1.4 lens would have cost.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2009-04-13, 16:28

That was why I recommended a 50mm 1.8, over a F1.4 version. The Nikon 50mm 1.8 is $149 Cdn, vs. $350 for the Nikon 50mm 1.4D or $560 for the new G model. Canon's 50mm 1.4 seems wildly overpriced.
Swox
OK Mr. Sunshine!

2009-04-13, 18:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satchmo View Post
I wanted to shoot mostly from overhead down onto the artwork. Wouldn't a tripod's leg get in the way? Or is there some sort of arm extension. Sorry, I'm not that versed with the lingo or way to set this up.
Ah, I didn't realize that was what you wanted to do. I've taken some shots of rare books that way and I found I was able to get the legs out of the shot by fully extending the legs and zooming in. Maybe if you were able to find some shots similar to what you were thinking of, we could suggest some possibilities? You don't have to of course .

Quote:
PB PM, thanks for info. I may consider used or renting something...Vistek has some decent rates in around $70/day. Not sure what or if that includes a lens. Probably not.
BTW, that DOF has quite the sharp drop off.
If you want more DOF, you can always stop down to a smaller aperture. You'll also get a bit of a sharper image if you stop down a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
That was why I recommended a 50mm 1.8, over a F1.4 version. The Nikon 50mm 1.8 is $149 Cdn, vs. $350 for the Nikon 50mm 1.4D or $560 for the new G model. Canon's 50mm 1.4 seems wildly overpriced.
The Canon 50mm f/1.8 should be about the same price as the Nikon. Both companies make great bodies, so it really is a subjective choice IMO. If you were going to think about buying (I can't imagine not having a DSLR, personally ), I'd play with each model for a bit and go with your gut.

Do not be oppressed by the forces of ignorance and delusion! But rise up now with resolve and courage! Entranced by ignorance, from beginningless time until now, You have had more than enough time to sleep. So do not slumber any longer, but strive after virtue with body, speech, and mind!
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2009-04-13, 18:54

Yes, the Canon 50mm 1.8 is only $100. I was refuring more to the price gap between the Nikon 50mm 1.4s and the Canon 50mm 1.4.

I agree, go use them in the store for a while. They have very different feels. I was very interested in the Canon XSi until I held one in my hands. To be honest if I'd gone with Canon I wouldn't have bought anything short of the 40D, as the Rebels just were not comfortable for me to hold.
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2009-04-14, 14:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satchmo View Post
I'm looking to shoot a bunch of printed sample of projects I've worked on over the years. Most are letter size, a few tabloid ones. I'd like to capture closeup elements with some depth of field effect. Probably all on a white backdrop.
When you say printed samples, what exactly are you talking about? Depth of field normally refers to the distance from lens to subject within which the subject appears sharp, i.e. the part that's "in focus". Things further or closer than this area are blurred due to being outside the depth of field, e.g. the screen of PB PM's phone. Is this what you meant by depth of field?

I ask because a flat object (like a piece of paper) shot perpendicularly will appear sharp across the whole frame. If the printed sample is a flat piece of paper, do you want to shoot at an angle so that some of it appears out of focus? The lighting requirements will vary depending on these things.

Any DSLR will be fine for shooting still objects unless you want truly massive prints. So check out cameras like the low-end Canon EOS models, Nikon D40/D60, Pentax K-m, Olympus E-450, etc. If you rent you can go for something fancier but results will be largely identical. You might need a macro lens depending on how close you want to go.

You'll need a tripod or copy stand, and some kind of off-camera lighting such as a flash unit (or two), and appropriate stands and cables. Hot lights (always on) will also work and are easier to set up. To eliminate reflections you'll want the lights at about 45 degrees, and if you still have problems you can polarise the lights and lens.

You might also get away with natural light (window and reflectors) during the day, if you're patient. In fact, your point-and-shoot might work passably if it allows a degree of manual control and has a tripod socket.

More details forthcoming when I know more details.