turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2012-03-21, 21:52

So it's come up a few times and now I'm here to ask:

1) Tool Shed or no?

2) Armory or no?

3) Why to both?

Everyone got so bent out of shape because I gave everyone anything they asked for and yet now I'm being asked to make the Tool Shed and Armory again. Needless to say the shameless bashing I've endured because I was willing to just give supplies as asked by anyone and now I'm being requested to make these again. Since I'm not an OP, (nor Brad) I can't just give myself the stuff and then fill these supply points. While I enjoy making them I have to wonder why I should when I got trashed so hard because I gave supplies and resources away.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy making it and sharing resources. I do want this very public though since on one hand I'm being hammered for giving any supply asked for out and now in a world with no OPs I'm being asked again. Because of this, I'll make it if majority agrees. Other wise you'll just need to take advantage of the Creative Mode day when it comes and stock up. I would build it in Nether again and likely near the main spawn portal which is likely to be at the Community Exchange.

* BTW, this isn't a chance for you to voice your option for anything of the past, it's for if you want the Tool Shed or Armory.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Stevuh

Send a message via AIM to Stevuh  
2012-03-21, 23:16

While I used the tool shed and armory in the last world, i have to say it did make the game too easy. I would say hold off on either building, we can use creative days for that or mine it legit.

"History will be kind to me because i intend to write it" -- Winston Churchill

I am prepared to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter. -- Winston Churchill
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2012-03-22, 02:56

I vote no. It removes a critical element of the game. And while I used it, I preferred in the end to just build my own. Plus creative days are a game changer.
¡Damned!

2012-03-22, 07:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
So it's come up a few times and now I'm here to ask:

1) Tool Shed or no?

2) Armory or no?

3) Why to both?

Everyone got so bent out of shape because I gave everyone anything they asked for and yet now I'm being asked to make the Tool Shed and Armory again. Needless to say the shameless bashing I've endured because I was willing to just give supplies as asked by anyone and now I'm being requested to make these again. Since I'm not an OP, (nor Brad) I can't just give myself the stuff and then fill these supply points. While I enjoy making them I have to wonder why I should when I got trashed so hard because I gave supplies and resources away.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy making it and sharing resources. I do want this very public though since on one hand I'm being hammered for giving any supply asked for out and now in a world with no OPs I'm being asked again. Because of this, I'll make it if majority agrees. Other wise you'll just need to take advantage of the Creative Mode day when it comes and stock up. I would build it in Nether again and likely near the main spawn portal which is likely to be at the Community Exchange.

* BTW, this isn't a chance for you to voice your option for anything of the past, it's for if you want the Tool Shed or Armory.
wut.

You weren't *asked* to do it, you were asked if you had plans to do it by me as I was working on the exchange. Because if you were I had a request for placement (where you mention), and if you weren't I would place some loot in the exchange. Like I said in chat. It was a simple conversation.... or so I thought.

Now I vote no. I thought it was a fun element to the game before (especially for helping out beginners), but we don't need a martyr shack around.

[edit]: This actually pisses me off a bit. That you build an innocent question into your personal soapbox and get all drama queen. Post the chat logs and let people see for themselves how much you twisted this into a reason to get all high and mighty.

So it goes.

Last edited by 709 : 2012-03-22 at 07:52.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2012-03-22, 07:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
wut.

You weren't *asked* to do it, you were asked if you had plans to do it by me as I was working on the exchange. Because if you were I had a request for placement (where you mention), and if you weren't I would place some loot in the exchange. Like I said in chat. It was a simple conversation.... or so I thought.

Now I vote no. I thought it was a fun element to the game before (especially for helping out beginners), but we don't need a martyr shack around.
Yes, 709, you are the only one in the game I ever interact with. This is all about you 709.

Yes, we talked about it in game but others did ask me.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
¡Damned!

2012-03-22, 08:04

Right, so the fact that you posted the thread right after our conversation (as you said you were going to do, to me) has nothing to do with it.

Whatever.

So it goes.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2012-03-22, 09:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
[edit]: This actually pisses me off a bit. That you build an innocent question into your personal soapbox and get all drama queen. Post the chat logs and let people see for themselves how much you twisted this into a reason to get all high and mighty.
This is the cancer that is killing Minecraft for me. Please leave the attitude at the door.

T is right that other people have been asking about his armory and shed. Your exchange probably just finally prompted him to post about it.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
¡Damned!

2012-03-22, 09:27

You're right. The attitudes are making it not fun for me any more either. I'll keep mine in check.

I think a simple "Tool Shed and Armory, yes or no?" post would've sufficed though.

So it goes.
ggnorekthx

2012-03-22, 09:50

I think a Tool Shed and Armory are a cool idea. My thought would be that you'd place them near the spawn with some stone-level tools for newcomers and people who just died. Judging from the placement and some of the discussion, the original Tool Shed and Armory must have had Iron and Diamond level tools/weapons.

In my experience, there really shouldn't be any need to give out stacks of materials and diamond level gear... it's really quite simple to accrue all of this stuff through legit mining. Sure, if you want to build a 200 block monstrosity you'll need a lot of stone or whatever, but even that doesn't take huge amounts of time. I've already got a large chest full of dirt and one full of stone. Even stuff like mossy stone and brick can be found if you know where to look. On my previous server I had something like 10-12 stacks of mossy stone, and I only went on a few hunts for it. Makes it that much more fun building with it, in my opinion.

Of course, I always enjoy the challenge of it. I'm happier with a smaller structure that I know I collected all of the materials for. I also used to play Hardcore mode on Diablo II, so maybe I'm just a glutton for punishment.

Back on topic, I think it would need to be EITHER Creative Day OR these structures to avoid dampening the integrity of those structures we build with legitimate resources.

~Dan~
If anyone plays Monster Hunter Tri on the Wii, or has a 3DS, feel free to PM me about swapping friend codes and such. :)
¡Damned!

2012-03-22, 10:20

The Community Exchange is just that, a place to drop off and share extra loot if you have an abundance of it. It's all legit other than glowstone and netherbrick (those were stocked by Brad because we all decided that the Nether wasn't to be raped). Obviously, it tends to fill up with cobble and dirt pretty quickly but there are occasions where people will drop off more valuable items like redstone, lapis or diamond.

The CommEx in this world is identical in structure to the one in the last world. Since the tools to get structures moved from previous worlds are borked with the new Anvil world code, I thought I'd build this one anew and stock it with what I can remember was in the previous one on Creative Day. I can leave it empty and let it fill up naturally if that's what people want, but I did take the time to stock the old one from previous Exchanges in anticipation of it being moved over.

The Armory and Tool Shed were filled with OP created loot that turtle built dispenser rooms for (they were actually pretty cool - you'd press a button and whatever you selected would drop on you from above).

So it goes.
Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2012-03-22, 12:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
This is the cancer that is killing Minecraft for me. Please leave the attitude at the door.

T is right that other people have been asking about his armory and shed. Your exchange probably just finally prompted him to post about it.
I leave the sniping about the past out of my reply. I let my attitude get the better of me the other night, so I'll bow out of the past OP issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevuh View Post
While I used the tool shed and armory in the last world, i have to say it did make the game too easy. I would say hold off on either building, we can use creative days for that or mine it legit.
The tool shed was okay in my view, as tools don't seem to be that big of an issue. Diamond tools just sped up building and demolition. I found that stone tools were only slightly slower in my usage. You just had to make more.

The diamond armor in armory was another story all together. This basically removed all the dangers of cave and mineshaft diving. Within no time we had rampant mineshafts in all directions and gobbling resources left and right. I say no to the armory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggnorekthx View Post
In my experience, there really shouldn't be any need to give out stacks of materials and diamond level gear... it's really quite simple to accrue all of this stuff through legit mining. Sure, if you want to build a 200 block monstrosity you'll need a lot of stone or whatever, but even that doesn't take huge amounts of time. I've already got a large chest full of dirt and one full of stone. Even stuff like mossy stone and brick can be found if you know where to look. On my previous server I had something like 10-12 stacks of mossy stone, and I only went on a few hunts for it. Makes it that much more fun building with it, in my opinion.

Of course, I always enjoy the challenge of it. I'm happier with a smaller structure that I know I collected all of the materials for. I also used to play Hardcore mode on Diablo II, so maybe I'm just a glutton for punishment.

Back on topic, I think it would need to be EITHER Creative Day OR these structures to avoid dampening the integrity of those structures we build with legitimate resources.
At this point it doesn't matter to me. Some people will use creative day to stockpile resources in the first place. In all likelihood these people are the ones that will use the tool shed and armory the most. So what's the point of one or the other? The people that want to use it will and those that oppose it won't.

I will make my one objection very clear though. If you are stockpiling resources on creative day and/or using the free diamond items from the armory/tool shed, then please work on creative based projects in areas well outside the main community and away from non-creative projects (e.g. have a designated creative area to muck about in). This includes mining.

Community projects that will be made creatively should at least be discussed in the group ahead of time.

Formerly known as cynical_rock
censeo tentatio victum
There is no snooze button on a cat.
sachmo1337

2012-03-22, 12:29

Honestly I think an armory and tool shed is fine. As long as it has leather armor in it and stone weapons/tools. That would be more than fair and almost like a solid ground between the people that want one and those who don't.

Side note has anyone seen any slimes? I can't seem to find any.
billybobsky
BANNED

2012-03-22, 12:33

Ok. Will do. Discuss away: new mob trap will be made with creative mode. I dug out the last hole with 709 and Captain, but mostly by myself, and it is not something that needs to be done again.
billybobsky
BANNED

2012-03-22, 12:34

The tool shed with wooden or stone tools would be redundant to the comm exchange...
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2012-03-22, 13:22

I guess I'm fine whichever way it goes. I did fine with and without it, so no qualms either way.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2012-03-22, 14:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobsky View Post
Ok. Will do. Discuss away: new mob trap will be made with creative mode. I dug out the last hole with 709 and Captain, but mostly by myself, and it is not something that needs to be done again.
The amount of effort that I contributed to the last trap was but a pittance, thanks for giving me credit the meager amount of sand/dirt that I moved. You'll haul ass in wussy mode.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2012-03-22, 14:20

Drama aside:

My considered opinion is that this is one area in which Notch/Jeb have favoured "realism" (such as it is) over gameplay. Tools don't last long enough. I'd say the current durability of diamond tools should be the actual durability of iron tools, and so on.

In the absence of a bukkit plug-in that changes durability (which I understand, there isn't one) I support the Toolshed/Armoury for this reason alone.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2012-03-22, 15:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
This is the cancer that is killing Minecraft for me.
noooooooooooo come back I haven't seen you on in FOREVERS. I need to tell you about secret plans!!!

I am cool either way, re: tool shed/armory. Though Bryson does have a good point. Tools break so quickly! That "realism" doesn't add much to the gameplay for me, personally. But that's just me.

Sort of OT, but have we decided on when the first creative day is going to be? I'm not planning on using creative mode extensively but I might use it to rebuild my LEGO house from the old world.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Artap99
Totally awesome.

Send a message via AIM to Artap99  
2012-03-22, 17:54

I would not mind having sheds again. Those who want to use it can use it. Those who do not do not have to.

But that is just my opinion