User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
Page 1 of 6 [1] 2 3 4 5  Next Last Thread Tools
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2009-04-18, 00:49

Meet the newest member of my family (album here). We are a very proud family right now. She came weighing in at 7 pounds 3 ounces and is 36.5" long. She is a strong member of the family right off the start. I was given the birth certificate last Tuesday from my local range/gun shop. She was cleaned up and given a slow break in of 60 rounds.

Grouping was great. A little high and left, but I was forced to shoot from the standing position with only a counter to lean on. Having been trained in Olympic style shooting, I opted to use the standing position. My girl came with folding sights so I can mount a scope, but I rather enjoy the skill of shooting with open sights. At some point I'm sure I'll get a scope to improve her eyesight, but for now I'll test her youth and vigor.

Her stock and grip are upgrades from a standard LWRC AR-15. She was also equipped with a 30 round PMag. It just so happened that I also purchased 10 of those to keep it company. The keeper clip/dust cap are a major plus for holding rounds in the magazines over a longer time frame. She also comes with the MagPul rail grips too. They are really nice in keeping a good grip without tearing up your hand.

I think the best part is that she's a clean freak too. It's actually one of the biggest reasons I wanted to have this girl over any other. Here is a video and here's the write up that goes into more detail on the short stroke piston system. (Granted it's a sales pitch, but it's the best I could find at the moment.) The bottom line for me is that I don't have to wipe her butt as often.

So you might be asking yourself a question like my mother asked me when I showed her my new girl: why do you need a gun like that? Well then I asked why she needed a TV, or a DVD player, or a pool stick. I ask you the same thing, why do you need a PS3, or the iPod you have? This thread isn't about if it's right or wrong for me to have this gun, but to share in my excitement over it. I really don't care if you think I'm propagating "wild west ways" of doing things, I am military trained as well as law enforcement. I enjoy shooting for sport, and besides, I like duck hunting.

If you don't want to share in my excitement and think guns are evil please start a "guns suck" thread and stay out of this one. kthxbye.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
HezMah19
Formerly "jmahe19"

Send a message via AIM to HezMah19  
2009-04-18, 01:12

Thats Awesome dude =D

I'm going to get my firearms license in the next month or so (Pain in the arse in Australia) and we can't really buy anything like that. I imagine you will enjoy her very much =)

jm.
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to Fahrenheit  
2009-04-18, 01:25

What. The. Fuck. Is. That.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2009-04-18, 01:26

Some kind of assault rifle from the looks of it.
Freewell

2009-04-18, 01:43

WWWOWWWWWWWW... If I had a gun like that, I would play with it all the time!!!

*Discreetly wipes off drool*
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2009-04-18, 01:47

Shiiiiiiiiny....
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2009-04-18, 02:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by HezMah19 View Post
Thats Awesome dude =D

I'm going to get my firearms license in the next month or so (Pain in the arse in Australia) and we can't really buy anything like that. I imagine you will enjoy her very much =)
Thanks! She really is great. Doesn't even cry much but sure does cost a lot to feed.

Here in Tidewater you have to pass a bunch of background checks and such but it's thankfully not that horrid of an affair to accomplish. Of course, you have to pay for the checks to be done and have to fill out a bunch of paperwork. Seems they actually don't want *EVERYONE* getting one of these.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fahrenheit View Post
Peashooter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
Some kind of assault rifle from the looks of it.
Good eye!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freewell View Post
WWWOWWWWWWWW... If I had a gun like that, I would play with it all the time!!!

*Discreetly wipes off drool*
Kleenex?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
Shiiiiiiiiny....
I'm sure with the love and care she will get in this home she'll look like that for years to come. Even after putting thousands of rounds through her.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2009-04-18, 02:59

I am glad you are happy with your purchase, but it is more than a bit disingenuous to compare consumer electronics whose main purpose is entertainment to an assault riffle whose main purpose is killing another human being.

But, then again, turtle, I trust you simply like burning loads of cash on ammunition. I just hope that you trust those in your household and the people they invite over as much as you trust yourself.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2009-04-18, 04:16

Congratulations on your purchase.

Haha, this thread is asking for trouble.
Eugene
careful with axes

2009-04-18, 04:44

Quote:
One of the many variants of the AR-15 which has been the staple black rifle of the US military for decades.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2009-04-18, 05:13

Quote:
Compensation for deep-rooted issues.
tomoe
Veteran Member

2009-04-18, 07:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2009-04-18, 08:02

Cool?
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2009-04-18, 08:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobsky View Post
I am glad you are happy with your purchase, but it is more than a bit disingenuous to compare consumer electronics whose main purpose is entertainment to an assault riffle whose main purpose is killing another human being.

But, then again, turtle, I trust you simply like burning loads of cash on ammunition. I just hope that you trust those in your household and the people they invite over as much as you trust yourself.
Man, I think turtle is the absolute last person I could see killing another person.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2009-04-18, 08:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca View Post
Man, I think turtle is the absolute last person I could see killing another person.
Anyone who feels the need to post photos of their new assault rifle to an internet message board and then describe his encounter and purchase of it as if it were his new girlfriend is a little disturbing and provides at least a little reason to be concerned.
Fooboy

2009-04-18, 08:12

Dude - I didn't know ex-navy guys had such good taste in rifles! How did you qualify back in the day.

LWRC is good to go. Good job on the magpul accessories as well. All you need is a good sling and some attachpoints - I recommend This One.

Surprised you found such a nice rifle - these days these are flying off the shelves. I've had a ton of friends / family who are not "gun people" (never owned a gun or expressed desire to) ask me about &/or go purchase one for home defense.

The real reason for the second amendment is protection from a tyrannical government; however, what motivated me to get some "hardware" was seeing how quickly society can absolutely break down (Katrina, gas shortage fist fights - citing these only as evidence of how quickly things get sour and we're not as civilized as we thinking ... mainly katrina). No way cops can protect everyone in these situations. In those situations - nothing says "move along - leave my family alone" like a 12 gauge/AR15/AK.

I approve!

Last edited by Fooboy : 2009-04-18 at 08:39.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2009-04-18, 08:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fooboy View Post
The real reason for the second amendment is protection from a tyrannical government; however, what motivated me to get some "hardware" was seeing how quickly society can absolutely break down (Katrina, gas shortage fist fights). No way cops can protect everyone in these situations. In those situations - nothing says "move along - leave my family alone" like a 12 gauge/AR15/AK.

I approve!
Yes, people in New Orleans having a bunch of assault rifles would have definitely helped restore order! (oh wait, only YOU would have had one right?)

Definitely help handle those "gas shortage fist fights" too!

I'm all for 2nd amendment rights, but jesus, if that's your argument and reasoning, you aren't that bright.
Fooboy

2009-04-18, 08:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Ulysses View Post
Anyone who feels the need to post photos of their new assault rifle to an internet message board and then describe his encounter and purchase of it as if it were his new girlfriend is a little disturbing and provides at least a little reason to be concerned.
Not girlfriend, child ... obviously meant in humor.

And there is nothing disturbing about buying a rifle.

And there are lots of internet message boards for firearms enthusiasts.

just to name a few ...

http://www.ar15.com/ (204,622 registered members, 153,960 are active accounts. )
http://glocktalk.com/forums/ (103,554 registered members)
http://www.berettaforum.net/vb/
http://hkpro.com/forum/index.php
http://www.thefiringline.com/ (71,650 registered members)
http://www.thehighroad.org/

http://forums.applenova.com/ (only 12,000 registered members)
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

Send a message via ICQ to turbulentfurball Send a message via AIM to turbulentfurball Send a message via MSN to turbulentfurball  
2009-04-18, 08:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Ulysses

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle2472
If you don't want to share in my excitement and think guns are evil please start a "guns suck" thread and stay out of this one. kthxbye.
Okay, so it's okay to compare a gun to a girlfriend/baby/member of the family, it's okay to say that purchasing not only a gun, but a fucking assault rifle is like purchasing an iPod, but it's not okay to be critical about it.

This thread makes me sick. I'm actually shaking with rage.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2009-04-18, 08:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca View Post
Seconded. I'm a progressive and a pacifist, but I know turtle well enough not to shoehorn him into a KILL-KILL-KILL, YEE-HAW stereotype. He's everything but.

Having said that:

Quote:

And there are lots of internet message boards for firearms enthusiasts.

just to name a few ...

http://www.ar15.com/ (204,622 registered members, 153,960 are active accounts. )
http://glocktalk.com/forums/ (103,554 registered members)
http://www.berettaforum.net/vb/
http://hkpro.com/forum/index.php
http://www.thefiringline.com/ (71,650 registered members)
http://www.thehighroad.org/

http://forums.applenova.com/ (only 12,000 registered members)
Wait, so that there aren't just a few people with a scary-as-heck attitude, but hundreds of thousands of them is supposed to convince BU of something?
Fooboy

2009-04-18, 08:40

No - its just to cite that there are lots of people who like guns and thats OK.
¡Damned!

2009-04-18, 08:43

Quote:
Admitting you wipe your girlfriend's ass is a little disturbing and provides at least a little reason to be concerned.

But I support your right to do it.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-04-18, 09:00

Quote:
I'm all for 2nd amendment rights, but jesus, if that's your argument and reasoning, you aren't that bright.
There was guns, there was babies, and now there's Jesus. Christ, how is this thread not locked yet?

You disappoint me, AppleNova.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2009-04-18, 10:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobsky View Post

Yeah, I understand your perspective. To me the rifle is a method of entertainment (sure it's there for protection too, but that's secondary to me at this point). Much like some like bowling, archery, or even a game of cards. Don't worry about the availability of the rifle to be misused in the house, it's not my personal defense weapon.
Quote:
Shhhh....
Quote:
Quote:

BU, what Fooboy said.

And why did I choose to share my new purchase here? Because this is my "internet family" and I know people here. I'm a member of at least one of the forums that Fooboy linked to for information gathering. I can tell you that most of the members I've seen aren't the deranged lunatics that people think gun owners are. Most (or at the least many) gun owners are normal people who find pleasure is the skill of shooting. Getting to the point where they can split a playing card, or other trick of accuracy. Sure there are nuts, most of them can't actually get a gun though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbulentfurball View Post
Okay, so it's okay to compare a gun to a girlfriend/baby/member of the family, it's okay to say that purchasing not only a gun, but a fucking assault rifle is like purchasing an iPod, but it's not okay to be critical about it.

This thread makes me sick. I'm actually shaking with rage.
You sir are the one mentioned in the last line of my original post. You may start the "guns suck" thread now.
Quote:
Seconded. I'm a progressive and a pacifist, but I know turtle well enough not to shoehorn him into a KILL-KILL-KILL, YEE-HAW stereotype. He's everything but.
Thanks chucker.

709, you're awesome!

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2009-04-18, 10:27

Come on people, its just an assault rifle. It's not like he's one of those crazy one man army types who has ten of them, bags full of stick grenades, and who knows what else.

Personally, I've always wanted a Lee-Enfield Mark III (Bolt Action Rifle), not because I thinking shooting is cool (thats what COD is for), but because it would just be cool to have one.
chucker

2009-04-18, 10:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman View Post
There was guns, there was babies, and now there's Jesus. Christ, how is this thread not locked yet?

You disappoint me, AppleNova.
Perhaps we need to talk about teabagging and scrotums.

Oh no I di'int…
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2009-04-18, 10:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
Come on people, its just an assault rifle. It's not like he's one of those crazy one man army types who has ten of them, bags full of stick grenades, and who knows what else.
I don't know. What's with the Taleban-esque rug in the background?
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2009-04-18, 10:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian Gray View Post
I think you can get those at Al-Mart.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2009-04-18, 10:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian Gray View Post
So he has a crappy rug, not sure how it is a Taleban-esque one.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2009-04-18, 10:41

I've worked with AR-15s on movies in the past, but I've never fired live ammunition from one of these. What's the kick like on one of these as compared to something like a 30/30 (which I have fired, nearly sending my shoulder into a neighboring county)?

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter