AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Was I overreacting?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Was I overreacting?
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-05-03, 00:26

Preface: There has been lots of auto theft in Salem lately and I personally know somebody who stole a car with an infant in the back and then freaked out and abandoned the child.

OK, so we went to get groceries. We park next to an SUV, who had also just parked - I knew exactly what the driver looked like because she had to get out of the car (and she took her sweet time) before we could park. I was tired after a big day of shopping so I decided to stay in the car and wait while everybody else went inside.

After a few minutes two young adults get into the front seats of the SUV next to us. They were not in the SUV earlier and they weren't wearing a grocery uniform or anything so they weren't employees being picked up. I did not see them use any keys. They do not turn on the car or go anywhere, however, they immediately pull down the visor on the drivers side and take something that was clipped up there. They don't turn on the car or drive anywhere - they just waited inside. They knew I was in the car next to them.

Oh, I forgot - there was also an infant in the back seat of the car. The two adults weren't taking care of it or anything.

This didn't really sit well with me. I didn't flip out and call the cops or anything but I texted my sis who was inside the store. I was hoping that the store would announce "would the owner of the white Suzuki XL7 please come to the front of the store" or whatever, and then the store employees would ask them if they knew anybody that met their description. The store did announce it, twice, but nobody came.

My sister texted me back asking for the license plate number of the SUV. I couldn't really see it from my seat and didn't want to get outside and look. I reclined my seat and was able to see the first three digits. As soon as I did this the two people in the SUV got out and started hanging around the back of the SUV, but they didn't leave it.

My sister actually recognized the driver of the SUV when she was inside shopping and asked her about it. She knew the people, so all is well that ends well. What I'm wondering is...

Do you, fine citizens of AppleNova, think I was overreacting? Was it smart of me to be alert when I saw different people get into the car, or should I have just minded my own business? I guess it seems a bit silly when I write about it, after the fact. But I was worried about the car and the baby...

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2009-05-03, 00:32

No, I don't think you were over reacting. I think you handled the situation rather well really.

Similar thing happened to me the other day. I parked my car next to an SUV, there was a young man in the driver seat bending over. As if he was messing with the wiring under the console. I just stood there watching him, until he got out and left. For the record, I think he was tying his shoes or something.

Also, I want to know, what kind of people leave children, infants, toddlers, whatever in the back seat unattended. I just don't get it. That type of negligent behavior really irks me.

User formally known as Sh0eWax
NosferaDrew
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to NosferaDrew Send a message via AIM to NosferaDrew Send a message via Skype™ to NosferaDrew 
2009-05-03, 00:57

Overreacting? - Not at all.
Sounds cliché, but good citizens make good neighborhoods.

Good lookin' out as they say.
Swox
OK Mr. Sunshine!

2009-05-03, 12:17

Sounds pretty reasonable to me. Good way to keep yourself entertained while you're waiting in the car too.
Trumpetman
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

Send a message via AIM to Trumpetman  
2009-05-03, 13:10

Nope. Great job.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2009-05-03, 13:23

Dumb people don't pay attention and laugh at you if you voice a concern about *anything*. Smart people are observant and cautious. Really smart people stay in communication about what they're doing and where they are.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2009-05-03, 13:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
Dumb people don't pay attention and laugh at you if you voice a concern about *anything*. Smart people are observant and cautious. Really smart people stay in communication about what they're doing and where they are.
  ↑
Spot on.
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2009-05-03, 13:34

That is NOT overreacting at all. That's just being smart. I think you did exactly the right thing.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2009-05-03, 13:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
Dumb people don't pay attention and laugh at you if you voice a concern about *anything*

Truer words...

It applies to so many areas/topics...
Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2009-05-03, 13:58

Good on you for doing the right thing. I would hope if it were my car that somebody would be as conscientious and try to call my attention to it.

There really isn't enough "do unto others as you would have them do unto you" these days, is there?
crazychester
Dick in the Abstentia, The

2009-05-03, 15:20

Yeah, of course it was the right thing,

But I'm with Maciej. I can't believe there are still people leaving small children alone in cars in this day and age. What's up with that?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2009-05-03, 17:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazychester View Post
I can't believe there are still people leaving small children alone in cars in this day and age. What's up with that?
I would think it's pretty obvious. Either the parents are complete imbeciles or the parents have a subconscious (or not so "sub"?) desire to get rid of the kid. Given the way I've seen most people handle kids in public in recent years, both would seem to apply in many cases.

At least in the US we have a HUGE culture around glorifying motherhood and a not-so-subtle brushing under the carpet of the idea that there's actual work and stress and displeasure involved with the job. There's also the terrifying "quiverfull movement" backed by evangelicals contributing to the mess, trying to get people to spawn for the sake of increasing their religion's population. And add to that the guilting for using birth control or *gasp* even considering the possibility of an abortion.

So, you end up with all these ill-educated young women/couples that have kids way before they're ready or that have too many kids on their hands (somehow thinking having more will help things out?) and the constant pressure from the media and churchgoers to believe that raising kids should be an easy and enjoyable experience. Sounds like the perfect concoction for an "accident" and a martyr complex.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
crazychester

2009-05-03, 18:25

But we get fools who do it here too even after numerous similar events have been reported in the media. I'd estimate, in the last 3 or 4 years, I can recall at least 3 cases of parents leaving their kid in the car, with the keys in the ignition and sometimes the engine running because they thought it would be OK as they were just ducking in to grab some milk. Car gets stolen etc. etc.

And they're just as likely to be well-to-do as they are no hopers. In fact, the former seem to do it more often. Ironically, it usually seems to turn out OK because thief suddenly realizes there's a kid in the car (clearly they assume nobody would be so stupid), freaks out, and they pull over and leg it.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-05-03, 19:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazychester View Post
And they're just as likely to be well-to-do as they are no hopers. In fact, the former seem to do it more often.
I would argue that it's probably just that the "well-to-do" people have more desirable cars that are more likely to be stolen, rather then them being worse parents. There's awful parents across all income segments, sadly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazychester
Ironically, it usually seems to turn out OK because thief suddenly realizes there's a kid in the car (clearly they assume nobody would be so stupid), freaks out, and they pull over and leg it.
That's what the person I knew (a cousin) did. They got caught, though, and were charged with auto theft, kidnapping, and I think some sort of abandonment/endangering thing. Protip: Don't steal cars, and if you do, at least check to see if there's a baby in the back. That just takes things to a whole 'nother level, legally and ethically...

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2009-05-03, 19:40

If only more people were as observant and cautious as you, then the world would be a far safer/better place.

Well handled Robo.
JohnnyTheA

2009-05-03, 20:07

I think you did the right thing by taking advantage of the communications that were available to you without having to resort to calling 911. Most people (99%) would just ignore it. The other 1% would probably have gone full throttle and dialed 911 which would be okay as well. Getting into contact with the store personnel from where you were was a nice middle ground.

JTA
crazychester

2009-05-03, 20:13

Yeah, very good point. I think your reaction was astonishingly well thought out on the spur of the moment, R'man.