User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
Page 2 of 6 Previous 1 [2] 3 4 5 6  Next Thread Tools
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2009-04-18, 10:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian Gray View Post
I don't know. What's with the Taleban-esque rug in the background?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
I think you can get those at Al-Mart.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
So he has a crappy rug, not sure how it is a Taleban-esque one.

$150 from Home Depot in Orlando.

Y'all are just jealous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
I've worked with AR-15s on movies in the past, but I've never fired live ammunition from one of these. What's the kick like on one of these as compared to something like a 30/30 (which I have fired, nearly sending my shoulder into a neighboring county)?

Actually the kick isn't bad at all. The action is great and handles it very well. Nothing like the 30/30. There is a big difference from shoot 62 grain and 55 grain rounds though. The kick is noticeably different. My "normal" rounds are 55 grain and shoot very smooth.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
lightning_bug

Send a message via AIM to lightning_bug  
2009-04-18, 10:59

Why do people refer to guns, ships, airplanes, cars - pretty anything that is a valued inanimate possession - as "she" or "her"?

I'm not asking this to be a jerk, I'm genuinely interested in why this is.

Also, nice rifle; I could never see myself shooting something of that caliber, but I'm sure you'll get plenty of enjoyment from it!

Guess our wishes don't do dishes or brake repairs...
Twitter | Flickr | last.fm | PSN: TheLittleDoctor
Eugene
careful with axes

2009-04-18, 11:03

Quote:
I've worked with AR-15s on movies in the past, but I've never fired live ammunition from one of these. What's the kick like on one of these as compared to something like a 30/30 (which I have fired, nearly sending my shoulder into a neighboring county)?
.223/5.56mm especially in an AR-15 will generate mild recoil. Think of it as the 9mm of rifle cartridges, while .308/7.62mm would be the .50AE or .44Mag.
Fooboy

2009-04-18, 11:03

Quote:

very little kick. didnt know you were in movies!
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2009-04-18, 11:06

Turtle why don't you just buy some male enhancement pills?

Dude seriously, I don't care that you own an automatic rifle or that you like to shoot it but you can't expect to post a thread like this among this bunch of techno-hippies and expect anything but grief. Especially when you compare buying a gun to buying a TV. Bit of a stretch... but OK.

...into the light of a dark black night.
Freewell

2009-04-18, 11:08

Oh man... Smooth is an understatement!! I started shooting AR-15s years before I even joined the military... They are SCHWEEEEEET!!! Smooooooth action, and less kick that a 357 Long-barrell! I kid you not, it was love at first shoot!

Sadly, it has been years now since I have had the opportunity to shoot one... So YES turtle, I am jealous!!! Looks like you have impeccable taste, and a fabulous new piece of equipment! Congrats on your new 'girl'!!
ronmexico

2009-04-18, 11:16

Off topic for a second...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Oh no I di'int…
I think that deserves some sort of emoticon...perhaps a side to side head shake with a finger...

back to the discussion at hand...
lightning_bug

Send a message via AIM to lightning_bug  
2009-04-18, 11:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronmexico View Post
I think that deserves some sort of emoticon...perhaps a side to side head shake with a finger...

Two snaps and a twist, and we're getting closer.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2009-04-18, 12:13

Assault rifles are three snaps in z formation.
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2009-04-18, 12:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs View Post
Freewell

2009-04-18, 12:44

Off-topic (click to toggle):
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Perhaps we need to talk about teabagging and scrotums.

Oh no I di'int…
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronmexico View Post
Off topic for a second...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightning_bug View Post
Two snaps and a twist, and we're getting closer.
Quote:
Sorry guys... Snap smilies were fresh out. These were the closest simulations I could find... Choose your camp:

BOLT & SHOOT

OR

BEND & SNAP

Banana
is the next Chiquita

2009-04-18, 13:02

^ FWIW, I know Brad did post a emoticon of that oh snap thingy with the finger. That was long time ago, though and given vBulletin's craptastic search functionality, I'm not feeling all that up to dig it up.

Turtle, I take that this gun is good only for the range? I don't think I would use it for hunting, but what do I know.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2009-04-18, 13:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana View Post
^ FWIW, I know Brad did post a emoticon of that oh snap thingy with the finger.

Also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle2472 and Freewell… sitting in a tree… k.i.s.s.i.n.g.
KILL-KILL-KILL, YEE-HAW
Fuuuuuucck!!!!
Freewell

2009-04-18, 13:45

Whoaah... I said I was jealous of his gun...

Look out Kicka... Brad'll be trying to hook you up with turtle next, cause you said his gun was shiny!!!
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2009-04-18, 13:46

This thread is going nowhere but wrong.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2009-04-18, 13:46

*giggles like a girl*
¡Damned!

2009-04-18, 13:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freewell View Post
WhoaahLook out Kicka... Brad'll be trying to hook you up with turtle next, cause you said his gun was shiny!!!
It's the Turtle Wax.

Trumpetman
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

Send a message via AIM to Trumpetman  
2009-04-18, 14:06

My BB gun feels totally inadequate now.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2009-04-18, 14:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freewell View Post
Look out Kicka... Brad'll be trying to hook you up with turtle next, cause you said his gun was shiny!!!
I dunno, while I may appreciate another man's gun, it's not like I have gun *envy*...

Quote:
Whoaah... I said I was jealous of his gun...
Freewell

2009-04-18, 14:08

very funny.

Banana
is the next Chiquita

2009-04-18, 14:10

I keep asking for a Red Ryder, but they tell me I'll shoot my eyes out.
Freewell

2009-04-18, 14:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
I dunno, while I may appreciate another man's gun, it's not like I have gun *envy*...

But wait... There was that one guy...

FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2009-04-18, 14:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle2472 and Freewell… sitting in a tree… k.i.s.s.i.n.g.
KILL-KILL-KILL, YEE-HAW

<Grocery Store P.A. Voice>
IP Check on Aisle Five, please!
</Grocery Store P.A. Voice>

Banana
is the next Chiquita

2009-04-18, 14:24

<Chuckaha>

Is that a mini chain-gun belt buckle? How does that get fed? What about the aim?
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2009-04-18, 14:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fooboy View Post
And there are lots of internet message boards for firearms enthusiasts.

just to name a few ...

http://www.ar15.com/ (204,622 registered members, 153,960 are active accounts. )
http://glocktalk.com/forums/ (103,554 registered members)
http://www.berettaforum.net/vb/
http://hkpro.com/forum/index.php
http://www.thefiringline.com/ (71,650 registered members)
http://www.thehighroad.org/
I wonder how a thread of, say, unboxing photos and a detailed, loving description of the purchase and first-boot process by a new MacBook Pro owner would go over on one of those forums......

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2009-04-18, 15:03

Quote:
Turtle why don't you just buy some male enhancement pills?

Dude seriously, I don't care that you own an automatic rifle or that you like to shoot it but you can't expect to post a thread like this among this bunch of techno-hippies and expect anything but grief. Especially when you compare buying a gun to buying a TV. Bit of a stretch... but OK.
Like I said earlier, this is my internet community of choice and one place where I could share it knowing many would enjoy my purchase. In my mind, entertainment is entertainment. It's not to far off the mark to compare devices used to legally create entertainment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana View Post
Turtle, I take that this gun is good only for the range? I don't think I would use it for hunting, but what do I know.
In my case it will likely only ever put holes in paper. While I joking linked to the video in my OP, I would never use something like this for hunting though some could if they so desired. It's not a hunting rifle by design.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FFL View Post
I wonder how a thread of, say, unboxing photos and a detailed, loving description of the purchase and first-boot process by a new MacBook Pro owner would go over on one of those forums......

If they were a member of that community for years like I have been here I'm sure they would get pretty much the same response. Those who like Macs would come out and congratulate and those who fear their power would scoff and mock it.

It's good to see there really are others here in AN that enjoy a good firearm. Sadly it can't be discussed under normal tones here because those opposed scream loudest and play dirtiest. Guns are like money. Neither has a personality but rather amplify they personality of the one wielding it.

709, great call on the Turtle Wax!

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2009-04-18, 15:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle2472 View Post
In my case it will likely only ever put holes in paper. While I joking linked to the video in my OP, I would never use something like this for hunting though some could if they so desired. It's not a hunting rifle by design.
I thought so. I was sorta wondering about how many hunters actually take a rifle like that for hunting. Probably not many, as you said, it's not for hunting.

Hope you have fun shooting paper!
Dave
Ninja Editor

2009-04-18, 16:36

Quote:
K, serious question here. Aside from the lack of pretty wooden stock, and a smaller clip, what's the difference? It would seem to me that anything a hunting rifle can do, a military rifle should be able to do better. From a "science of shooting things" perspective, the only differences in targets are that humans are smaller and take evasive actions.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2009-04-18, 16:43

Quote:
Like I said earlier, this is my internet community of choice and one place where I could share it knowing many would enjoy my purchase. In my mind, entertainment is entertainment. It's not to far off the mark to compare devices used to legally create entertainment.
All right but if it's entertainment you seek, we better see some open range ground hog disintegration videos with some Megadeth playing in the background (like those Barrett .50Cal spots).

...into the light of a dark black night.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2009-04-18, 16:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
K, serious question here. Aside from the lack of pretty wooden stock, and a smaller clip, what's the difference? It would seem to me that anything a hunting rifle can do, a military rifle should be able to do better. From a "science of shooting things" perspective, the only differences in targets are that humans are smaller and take evasive actions.
I"m no gun experts, but I can think of few possible reasons that may apply or not:

1) Too big a caliber and you get no meat left. Too small a caliber, and you are just torturing the animal needlessly. Likewise, some bullets are better designed for long range plinking.

2) Luca said in another thread that assault rifles are well-designed for suppressive fire. That is, you can emit out several bullets to cover a wide area and thus make it harder for them to return fire. You don't need to suppress animals. You need to kill it. Thus, accuracy is not as big consideration as it would be with a hunting rifle.

3) Too much kick can tamper with accuracy. It has to be recoilless or give little kick.

Maybe a sniper's rifle could make for better hunting, but I wouldn't expect the same from a assault rifle or at least anything similar in design.