User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » GamingNova »

AppleNova Minecraft Server

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
AppleNova Minecraft Server
Page 38 of 49 First Previous 34 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 42  Next Last Thread Tools
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2011-03-15, 19:10

You would spawn into void and lose everything, right?

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-03-15, 19:13

Or would the world procedurally generate beneath my feet? Kind of like when you warp...?

Last edited by Bryson : 2011-03-15 at 19:38.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-03-15, 19:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
Or would the world procedurally generate beneath my feet? Kind of like when you warp...?
This.

You would only be in trouble if you'd dug into the earth or stood up on a tall new structure. In the former case, you might suffocate under the restored ground, and in the latter case, you might fall through the absent structure.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-03-16, 21:05

Where is everyone? I'm shocked to see no one else on tonight....

RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2011-03-16, 21:42

Signing on now, here.

SpecMode
Wait what

2011-03-16, 21:47

My backup machine doesn't handle Minecraft too well, so I'll be offline until I get my regular iMac back.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-03-16, 22:37

I've been super busy this week with work and don't have too much time for MC. Friday night I plan to make up for lost time, though.

¡Damned!

2011-03-16, 23:11

Crash?

[edit]: nm. Something weird just happened though.

[edit2]: Again?

billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2011-03-17, 00:05

No crash... I was alone digging dirt and dodging deadly, determined creepers.

We are about to get to the point of having to build up a significant fraction of the channels/platforms, so it might be ideal to start carving out the other side of the trap, just to keep the simplicity of this arrangement going. It's looking good.

There are some areas that need better lighting outside of the trap, but we can get these as needed.

As far as what goes beneath the trap -- any grass under the trap will decrease its yield, so we need to cover up or dig out all dirt that will otherwise exist under an airgap beneath the trap. since we have a bunch of cobble and more coming it may just be easy enough to lay a layer of cobble onto of the grass and add lights above to keep baddies at bay... but anything will do...

Thinking about the trap in general, When we get to building the death pit below, I think a ladder access point to one of the central islands might be a nice feature, perhaps separated by a single block of 'floating' water to keep chickens out to allow us to fire arrows at passing sheep and hence collect their wool. On the subject of chickens, I am not sure what is the best arrangement to kill the beasties, but i suspect with a falling trap, a cactus line might do the trick below...

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-03-18, 21:18

What? How is it a Friday night and nobody is on Minecraft?!

I have an announcement to make, but I was hoping to unveil it to a larger crowd.

Get online, peoples!

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.

SpecMode
Wait what

2011-03-18, 21:54

Got my iMac back, plus I'm on Spring Break for the next week. Definitely going to make up for lost time, myself.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-03-18, 21:55

Okay, new server! New URL! I'm transferring the world over now!

mc.applenova.com

I'll lay out the details of the server a bit later. Start poking the URL and it should be up in just a minute!

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-03-18, 22:02

We're in!

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-03-18, 22:12

Or not. Some really weird stuff going down here. Missing blocks, reeeeally slow lag. This is a beefy server and shouldn't be having these problems.

Stay tuned...

SpecMode
Wait what

2011-03-18, 22:13

And the place looks like it got hit by an earthquake, then carpet-bombed for good measure. Something didn't go quite right, apparently.

Oddball permissions issues on the new server causing certain chunks to not be loaded properly, perhaps?

RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

2011-03-18, 22:18

Parapa was encased in lava. I wondered what would happen if the lava bridge ever was damaged, and had pictured that in my mind's eye. Now I know.

SpecMode
Wait what

2011-03-18, 22:20

Yeah, pretty much the same deal with anything that used lava. iJak's Death Star has a pretty epic lava column underneath it right now.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-03-18, 22:21

Seems like there is a lot of activity going on all at once! I hope we can get this all sorted out!

Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2011-03-18, 22:46

Says I'm not whitelisted.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-03-18, 22:47

Brad's testing right now. Seems to have been a few problems.

Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2011-03-18, 22:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
Brad's testing right now. Seems to have been a few problems.
Gotcha.

SpecMode
Wait what

2011-03-18, 23:06

Brad's been getting some screencaps...the destruction is really pretty epic. Buildings with huge chunks taken out of them, craters and lava flows everywhere. Also some pretty gnarly lag, which Brad is working on right now.

Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2011-03-18, 23:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecMode View Post
Brad's been getting some screencaps...the destruction is really pretty epic.
Hmm. I don't know how to feel about this. On the one hand, everyone's stuff is potentially destroyed, which sucks, but on the other hand, this...

Quote:
Buildings with huge chunks taken out of them, craters and lava flows everywhere.
... sounds like an awesome post-apocalyptic adventure!

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.

RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

2011-03-18, 23:31

This looks epic. Coming in 1.4, apparently.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-03-19, 00:40

World successfully restored! Also, performance seems MUCH better now that I recreated the ram disk and put the world folder on it.

Some small snaps of the mayhem:

SpecMode
Wait what

2011-03-19, 00:41

Server is back up!. Brad and I closed out the post-apocalyptic adventure by blowing ourselves up with TNT (quickest way back to spawn), then throwing ourselves into a lava-filled pit under the remains of the Fortress of Insanity, landing in burning heaps on the bedrock below.

Epic.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-03-19, 00:46

Also, totally weird client-side graphics bug after I restored the server:

Relaunch on my end fixed that.

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-03-19, 01:56

You can see the Matrix!

Shame I missed the carpet-bombed server...

Thanks Bradster!

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-03-19, 21:00

I can't get into Minecraft.net. I wanna play!

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-03-19, 21:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
Shame I missed the carpet-bombed server...
I copied the post-apocalyptic world back over to the old applenova.com server, and it's still running if you want to check it out.

And just a reminder in case anyone missed it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Okay, new server! New URL! I'm transferring the world over now!

mc.applenova.com
It's running pretty smoothly now. There's an occasional load spike on the server that causes things to lag a bit (haven't pinned this down yet), but otherwise it's a much better experience than the old server.