User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Can you use USB hub on Airport Wireless Base Station?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Can you use USB hub on Airport Wireless Base Station?
markw10
Awaiting Email Confirmation

2007-01-15, 00:53

I am looking into getting the new Airport Wireless Base Station and like the idea of the USB port to plug in a USB printer or hard drive. I have a USB printer that I want to plug in but as well in the future I may plug in a USB drive that I may use as a data drive (documents for office, itunes media, etc. I may even use it as a backup to backup data from my two laptops. I know there's only one USB port but my question is can I use any type of USB hub on it to make it into 2 or more USB ports?
I like this new version a lot. I wish it had gigabit lan though but I've looked at many alternative routers. Some are very nice but I can't find the USB ports and as well I like Apple's products for the ease of use and set up.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2007-01-15, 00:57

Yes, you can daisy chain USB hubs and put multiple drives and printers on this base station.
markw10
Awaiting Email Confirmation

2007-01-15, 01:15

Very nice! I hate not having gigabit LAN on the airport express but yet have looked at Linksys, Netgear, dlink, and belkin and can't find this feature on any other routers. My only concern is the talk of g devices slowing down the airport express. This would be replacing a wired only router and I have a separate 'g' wireless access point my house. I just made keep this for my g items (a xbox 360 and windows laptop) and in a sense have two networks.
danielsza

Send a message via AIM to danielsza Send a message via MSN to danielsza  
2007-01-15, 01:16

Turtel2472 is right, you can use a usb hub.

Quote:
Originally Posted by APPLE
Do everything.

What if you’d like to exchange files over your wireless network and still have access to a network printer? Easy. Just connect a USB hub to AirPort Extreme and attach your devices to the hub. Share both a printer and a hard drive, multiple printers, or multiple hard drives.
Link
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2007-01-15, 01:19

I don't see why you couldn't do that. Two wirelss networks in your place might be overkill, but it would be one way to ensure your 'n' is at n speeds.

You could get a gigabit switch and connect it to the APE for you gigabit wired network needs. I'm guessing that you don't need gigabit out to the internet. You won't loose any speed that way either.
cupique

2007-01-15, 03:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle2472 View Post
I don't see why you couldn't do that. Two wirelss networks in your place might be overkill, but it would be one way to ensure your 'n' is at n speeds.

You could get a gigabit switch and connect it to the APE for you gigabit wired network needs. I'm guessing that you don't need gigabit out to the internet. You won't loose any speed that way either.
Except to access USB harddrive, so you're cut to ~1/4th of the potential speed of the harddrive.
Arnel

2007-01-15, 04:15

I think a lot of USB hard drives have hubs built into them anyway. Certainly if you look at ones such as the Lacie drive designed to fit underneath the Mac Mini (but as that's the same size as the new Airport Base Station it fits perfectly underneath that, too), they have through ports, so you can hook your printer and/or more drives up to that.
BarracksSi
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2007-01-15, 12:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnel View Post
Certainly if you look at ones such as the Lacie drive designed to fit underneath the Mac Mini (but as that's the same size as the new Airport Base Station it fits perfectly underneath that, too), ..
Ooh, I had forgotten about that LaCie drive. Now I know what I'll get to match the new base station when I finally do buy one.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2007-01-15, 12:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarracksSi View Post
Ooh, I had forgotten about that LaCie drive. Now I know what I'll get to match the new base station when I finally do buy one.
There are a few out there that use the Mac Mini footprint that'll work well for this. I was thinking about doing the same thing.