I Don't Own An iPhone, and Copy & Paste isn't important for the iPhone 2 3.23%
Beer 7 11.29%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Copy & Paste, actually important?
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2008-07-16, 14:11

I don't get this fascination with copy and paste on the iPhone. Honestly, the number of times I think to myself, while using my iPhone, "fuck, I wish I had copy and paste right now" is next to none. The thing is, Apple has put a lot of effort into anticipating where you would need C&P and almost always provides a faster alternative. Yet people still love to bitch and moan about it.

My question is - to ACTUAL iPhone OWNERS - do you bang your head against the wall due to the lack of C&P? Or is the internet (as usual) bitching and moaning about nothing?

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2008-07-16, 14:36

There have been a few times where I've wanted to past in a link while I was posting here, but other than that, not really.

It'd be nice to have, but I haven't needed it.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2008-07-16, 14:50

I suspect your sentiment echos most iPhone owners. My hunch is that the majority of people who think the iPhone needs Copy & Paste are people who don't own an iPhone.

We'll see what the poll tells us.

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

Send a message via ICQ to turbulentfurball Send a message via AIM to turbulentfurball Send a message via MSN to turbulentfurball  
2008-07-16, 15:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran23kk View Post
There have been a few times where I've wanted to past in a link while I was posting here, but other than that, not really.

It'd be nice to have, but I haven't needed it.
+1

Copying and pasting parts of posts on here too, but not much else.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2008-07-16, 15:03

I'm in the no-iPhone-it-needs-it-anyway camp, because I'm going to be getting one, and I'm anticipating doing a lot more with it than what Apple's apps anticipate. Like, say, ssh to a terminal back home? Copy/paste would be nice in such cases.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2008-07-16, 15:21

I get by fine without copy/paste, but I would do more with my iPhone if this capability existed. I've tracked packages and manually writing down a tracking ID from the shipment email, then typing it into Safari can be a royal PITA, especially now that UPS doesn't create a URL string with the tracking ID embedded so I can save it as a favorite until I receive the package.

There have been times I've wanted to copy/pasta URLs to email to myself and I haven't been able to do that either.

So basically I didn't vote in the poll because I don't feel either of the first two options fit how I feel about copy/pasta, but I do believe the iPhone would be more functional for me if this functionality was implemented.
faust

2008-07-16, 15:43

I voted its a must.

Every week I find myself typing things out instead of being able to do a quick C&P and its a complete waste of time.
Engine Joe
Going Strange...

2008-07-16, 15:52

I'm actually somewhere between have-and-must and have-get-by.

I do get by, 90% of the time; but the other 10% of the time is enough of a pain that I really want the option. So I said "must" but I do get by.... just semi-unhappily.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2008-07-16, 16:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassplayinMacFiend View Post
I get by fine without copy/paste, but I would do more with my iPhone if this capability existed. I've tracked packages and manually writing down a tracking ID from the shipment email, then typing it into Safari can be a royal PITA, especially now that UPS doesn't create a URL string with the tracking ID embedded so I can save it as a favorite until I receive the package.
Try Googling the number and saving that. It'll interpret the string as a package number and direct you to the right carrier.
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2008-07-16, 16:24

I'm not huge on the idea that a general clipboard function is needed, but Apple should build in a few more ways to view mail attachments offline, apply a passcode in an email to a field (data detectors might at least try to handle this?), keep an image from the web for offline viewing, etc. There are a few more scenarios ,but they are limited.

I fear that such a catch-all method of dealing with data immediately changes the concept of the iPhone from a handy companion to a wannabe itsy-bitsy full fledged computer, which it isn't and shouldn't. I guess I'm making the old "slippery slope" argument, which I'm generally not a fan of, but with a product that garners so much attention and expectation, Apple has to be very prudent about how to present things like this, lest the iPhone become the next Newton in a certain way. I know some people want a Newton, but the problem with the Newton and any computer with such a small screen is that it tried to be a computer when it should have been a much more limited thing in concept. That's why I think the iPhone is so successful, despite being a so-called convergence device. It has a very finite set of things it does with all those different tools.

I like to talk about Macs working like a toolbox, where you have a slew of applications that each do a particular thing well and that communicate with one another well, largely through the clipboard as well as drag-n-drop. I've always disparaged Microsoft's concept of Office as being this monster swiss army knife, doing everything you need in one application, but not doing any of them especially well. Well, in a change of perspective, I feel that the iPhone is the swiss army knife to my Mac's big toolbox. I think that's a good thing. IMO clipboard operations, drag-n-drop, etc. would burden the iPhone platform.

It's like trying to use Mobile Safari for all your day's web reading. I would go cross-eyed or just get sick of scrolling so much if I had to use it all day to read on that screen only. However, it's very nice to be able to look something up here and there on it without worries. If I had to do a lot of "lifting" with data in a general way on the iPhone, I'd probably throw it on the pavement after more than a couple of hours of that.

I guess what I'd like to see is something like copy and paste and interactivity of data among apps, but much more specific, limited and finite user experience for it.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2008-07-16, 16:43

I can't argue with that - I think Data Detectors will be the killer thing that drives the iPhone UI to the next level.

However.

They require Apple being able to anticipate the types of data we will be interested in, and they, or third parties, providing actions that we can take on that data. Look at your Services menu for an idea of where that could go. It's some good, some bad.

Having copy/paste as a fallback is, IMNSHO, a must. The danger is in devs using the *fallback* as the *primary* method of interaction because it's familiar to them. Tough balancing act.
zippy
Veteran Member

2008-07-16, 17:01

I would absolutely love C&P, and think it needs it. Before I got the iPhone, I didn't see where it would be all the necessary, but now I often find myself wishing it had that capability for things like copying an address from one contact to another (or 3 or 4 for people in same household or business). I also would use it in the notes app quite a bit.

Do you know where children get all of their energy? - They suck it right out of their parents!
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

2008-07-16, 18:18

I'm hoping apps themselves will essentially allow developers to use a clipboard type of system, but not leave the copying and pasting to the user, that apple *somehow* create devs use specific actions. I don't know how you enforce that, but the idea is essentially to create services that the end user picks, rather than having to do the legwork themselves.

I'm sure in any case, some devs will think of something useful and novel for their particular app and Apple will eventually crib the action as well, which will cause much consternation and gnashing of teeth in the developer world.
apple007
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2008-07-16, 20:29

I've been getting by without C&P just fine, but I still don't understand why C&P turned into such a complicated issue. I haven't installed 2.0, but hasn't Apple, in some places, enabled a pop-up menu type of thing when users hold, and continue to hold, a certain spot on the screen?

If so, why couldn't a user simply press and hold at the spot they want to C&P, wait for the pop-up menu, select "Start Copy Here", then put their finger at the end point of the text they want to C&P, hold it there for the pop-up menu, select "Finish Copy Here," and be done with it?
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2008-07-16, 21:09

I have an iPhone and I get by without it. Like others, it'd be nice to copy a number or address from an email and doing something with it, like pasting it into another email or addressbook (yeah, DDs would solve that last one).

What I'd actually want to see before c/p is the ability to append numbers before dialing them. If there's a phone number on a webpage or in an email, the iPhone handily makes them clickable. Of course if the number doesn't have the area code, the call doesn't go through. Without the ability to either c/p or modify numbers prior dialing, it's useless. (I've griped about this before and, no, I haven't sent in feedback.)

Twitterific does a nifty thing with its bookmarklet. It's just a javascript bookmark that passes the URL to twitterific.

Code:
javascript:window.location='twitterrific:///post?message='+escape(window.location)
I wonder if there's a way to make this type of thing work in other instances.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-07-16, 22:31

It would certainly be a nice function to have - I run into situations once or twice a week when I really wish I had the ability to do this on my phone - but it's nothing I'm obsessing on or truly worried about.

I figure it'll come in a software update by year's end.

It would come in handy in e-mails to friends, or even in posts here (long, convoluted links and so forth).

It couldn't hurt for the function to be there for use when needed.

scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2008-07-17, 06:26

WE NEED CUT AND PASTE!!!!! REALLY! WTF IS WRONG WITH APPLE! GIVE IT TO US NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW!!!!! LEAVE BRITNEY ALONE etc..
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

2008-07-17, 14:12

Oh, I would so baninate you for that...
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2008-07-17, 14:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratt View Post
BAWWWWWWWW!!!!!
fixed
beardedmacuser

2008-07-17, 14:31

Copying and pasting reasonably complex wireless encryption keys is the only use I can imagine for copy and paste on the iPhone. But even then, it only took three or four attempts to enter our WPA key into the girlfriend's iPhone before I was successful. Oh, maybe copying and pasting a website URL into an email would be useful?
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2008-07-17, 16:03

There's a button already there for emailing a website URL
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2008-07-17, 16:09

Yeah, C & P would be nice.... but it's not even in the same ballpark as the need for VOICE DIAL.
Taskiss
Veteran Member

2008-07-17, 19:13

I'd use it a lot with text messages, but the functionality could be available if there was a "quick text" list I could pick from.

I don't abbreviate and I use correct punctuation, so asking someone to "Please call me at your earliest convenience." gets to be a pain.

real hackers don't use sigs
apple007
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2008-07-17, 20:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taskiss View Post
I'd use it a lot with text messages ...

I don't abbreviate and I use correct punctuation, so asking someone to "Please call me at your earliest convenience." gets to be a pain.
I thought I was the last one still doing the above. Glad there are still others out there. (If only they were the ones who text me ...)
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2008-07-17, 21:06

I used to shorten my text messages when I had my RAZR, but since I got my iPhone with a full keyboard, I always type like I would in an email.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
noleli2

2008-07-17, 21:09

I always use correct capitalization and punctuation when I text (But not while driving anymore!). And like you guys, I thought I was the only one who did.

And now for the obligatory on-topic comment: I don't have an iPhone (yet --- holding out for a 32 GB), but I think copy & paste would be extremely useful.

I also think a legit, navigable filesystem to share files between apps would be useful, but that's for another time.
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2008-07-17, 21:10

I never used to shorten my text messages, but today I just had to abbreviate. Sending your friend a list of questions to ask while looking at a place via text means you have to abbreviate or hit the character limit, and after sending 6 messages I wasn't sending a couple more just to use full words. Ugh.

As for the C&P topic, I don't have an iPhone or an iPod Touch, but if I did, I would want copy and paste. Copying text from website to paste into an email to send to myself, copying names/numbers/what have you into contacts...yeah, I'd want it.

"A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my anger!" - Darth Baras
twitter ; amateur photographer ; fanfiction writer ; roleplayer and worldbuilder
noleli2

2008-07-17, 21:28

This just occurred to me: I never really got into Services on the Mac, but maybe something like that on the iPhone would make more sense in a lot of cases than true copy/paste.

Like in Capella's example, if I wanted to make a note of some text in a website, I could select it and choose (somehow; I don't have a UI idea for this) Add to New Note, Add to New Yojimo Note, or Send Text in an Email. Something like that. Just a random thought.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2008-07-17, 22:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by noleli2 View Post
This just occurred to me: I never really got into Services on the Mac, but maybe something like that on the iPhone would make more sense in a lot of cases than true copy/paste.

Like in Capella's example, if I wanted to make a note of some text in a website, I could select it and choose (somehow; I don't have a UI idea for this) Add to New Note, Add to New Yojimo Note, or Send Text in an Email. Something like that. Just a random thought.
What about double tap and drag? The same basic idea as moving the cursor when inputting text with an extra tap to signify the difference (or to signal that the user isn't scrolling).
Quagmire
meh

2008-07-17, 22:57

Copy and paste would be useful and I would like to see it implemented eventually( along with MMS), but it isn't a deal killer for me.