Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

YouTube 2022Q3 - Poor Choice of Suggested Content

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
YouTube 2022Q3 - Poor Choice of Suggested Content
drewprops
Space Pirate

2022-07-07, 12:56

Over the past week I have noticed a marked decline in the quality of offerings sent to me in the YouTube app on my phone. Many are less and less tied to my previous viewings, and I wonder if this is something that is happening at YouTube right now and I'm just unaware of these changes, or am I imagining them?

Lots more inline advertisements.

I guess that I need to subscribe to more channels that I regularly watch instead of counting on YouTube to know to push them at me.

Anyway, I'm just curious.

These things change over time and I wasn't sure if I was noting any real change in the way that platform works.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-07-07, 13:05

Youtube is becoming an advertising cesspool. I have low expectations.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-07-07, 13:39

Yeah. I rarely ever click through anything on there. I'm target searching information when I do use YouTube. That or someone specifically linked me to something. Like this one! I love this and will likely do something like it for my network stack or even my entertainment gear. If you don't want to click, it shows you how to user marine batteries for your UPS so it lasts WAY longer than with the default batteries.

Oh, but more specific to the OP, this is something I haven't noticed. I'm seeing the same general people/channels in my YouTube feed. There are more weird things, but by far my feed is filled with my "normal" recommendations.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2022-07-07, 14:57

I never look at YouTube on my phone unless I have a very specific video or playlist that I've clicked on from elsewhere.

I also loathe the recent Twitter/TikTok-ification of YouTube.

Regarding the desktop experience, me, in another thread five weeks ago…

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Pro tip: never look at the YouTube homepage. It's full of utter garbage that the algorithm wrongly things I could ever give two shits about. I exclusively browse YouTube by the subscriptions feed page, leaning on my years-long cultivated collection of not-clickbait not-assholes, and I keep the viewer in "theater" mode so the recommended videos thumbnails on the sidebar get pushed down the screen, out of sight and out of mind.
YouTube's homepage and recommendations have been generally unappealing to me for as many years as I can recall, which is kind of astonishing since I'm still struggling to accept that we're 2.5 years into covid-19 and I know all this stuff was bad long before this pandemic started.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2022-07-07, 17:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
Over the past week I have noticed a marked decline in the quality of offerings sent to me in the YouTube app on my phone. Many are less and less tied to my previous viewings, and I wonder if this is something that is happening at YouTube right now and I'm just unaware of these changes, or am I imagining them?

Lots more inline advertisements.

I guess that I need to subscribe to more channels that I regularly watch instead of counting on YouTube to know to push them at me.

Anyway, I'm just curious.

These things change over time and I wasn't sure if I was noting any real change in the way that platform works.

I find the exact opposite to be true, the videos it shows me are only similar to what I have watched or channels I'm subscribed to, making it harder to find new or different content without specifically searching for it. It has been progressively been getting worse over the past 2-4 years. Ads on Youtube always suck, the more popular the channel (subscriber count) the more ads you will see, that's just how it works.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2022-07-08, 10:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
I find the exact opposite to be true, the videos it shows me are only similar to what I have watched or channels I'm subscribed to, making it harder to find new or different content without specifically searching for it.
That's the thing that's so perplexing and disappointing to me.

My recommended content is about evenly split between:
  • new videos from creators I'm already subscribed to (this is fine, but I'll just use the Subscriptions page)
  • videos I've already watched (and often already hit the like button maybe months or years ago)
  • videos I have no interest in watching

I accept that my viewing habits are probably outliers that the algorithm doesn't know what to do with. Lots of STEM and general longer-form educational content. Various indie instrumental music and covers. Occasional old-world-YouTube gamers.

checking the homepage now for some new ideas

No, I don't want to watch Minions.
No, I don't want to see "5 ramen taboos".
No, I don't want to see Dave Chappelle going on another transphobic rant.
No, I don't want to meal-prep a crate of breakfast burritos for a morning "life hack".
No, I don't want to watch some guy cook bacon on a steam engine.
No, for gods sake, I don't want to see anything Trump has to say.

[okay.jpg]

What really bothers me is when recommendations are clearly paid partnership promotions that have even less to do with my interests. I will never watch professional sports on YouTube, for example, but that's something that seasonally crops up for no good reason.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.