AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

All Quiet On the Western Front

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
All Quiet On the Western Front
kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-10-20, 11:42

Oh, my!

One of my favorite stories when I was young. I remember watching an adaptation starring Richard Earl Thomas back in the very early 1980's. The made-for-tv movie was slow and I had a hard time with it, but I'm a war-movie buff and ended up loving it. I still remember many of those scenes and how horrible the late-70's visual effects were, but they're absolutely riveted into my brain.

Now — and completely surprising to me — it turns out that Netflix has been hard at work on a remake, and I cannot tell you how excited I am. Perhaps more excited to see this than any other movie announcement in many long years. Coming October 28!

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2022-10-20, 18:46

Noticed that in the upcoming list last week, already added to my list. Don't know if I ever watched the entire original movie, just saw bits an pieces on TV.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2022-10-21, 08:45

Are these supposed to make us fear war or embrace it?
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2022-10-21, 09:20

That’s completely up to the viewer. I’ve watched many war movies and documentaries, I’ve yet to see one that made me want to sign up with the armed forces.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2022-10-21, 10:15

I realized afterwards that it came off as a socio-political comment, but that wasn’t my intention. It’s purely an aesthetic consideration I’m thinking about. We only have the trailer, but if the movie is any reflection, it’s just so beautiful… I’ve never resolved for myself how that works on the story, the tension of holding the audience’s gaze while trying to make them look away.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-10-21, 11:17

For some stupid reason, we humans like to romanticize and glamorize war. I have no idea why, but perhaps because we all want to be the war hero?

I love well-done war movies for one mighty, titanic reason: When the director and actors know what they're doing, they make war look and feel like the hell that it is. Saving Private Ryan, Band of Brothers, and The Pacific are all guilty of that (oddly enough, also all feature Tom Hanks in some fashion or other). Being able to convey the realities and horror are important. Oddly, some people get off on the killing. I do not. Rather, it serves as a reminder why war should always be the last option.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-11-04, 13:15

I forgot to post an update. The kid and I watched this last Saturday and I loved the interpretation. A very nicely done movie that set an excellent tone, fought through a lot of emotion, and demonstrated the ridiculous waste that is war.

I recommend it to war buffs, but haven't got time to write much, other than to say it was very good.

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2022-11-04, 13:39

Haven't watched the entire movie yet, but I concur.
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2022-11-04, 21:36

I've never seen the version you linked, but because it was released, a couple friends and I watched the original 1930s b/w film and holy shit it was depressing and powerful.

"A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my anger!" - Darth Baras
twitter ; amateur photographer ; fanfiction writer ; roleplayer and worldbuilder
drewprops
Space Pirate

2022-11-05, 07:31

I watched the new film earlier this week and it is indeed a warning to anyone watching that war is hell on earth.

Seriously: do not watch this if you are not in a good place emotionally/spiritually because it is bloody intense.

The one change that this film makes from previous interpretations is that it includes glimpses of the peace talks. One review I read felt this took away from the film, but I disagree; understanding that an end to the war is approaching is what makes this version work.

Netflix apparently gives you translation options, and I watched it with the original German audio with English subtitles - another friend complained about it having dubbed British English audio?

I don't ever want to be a war buff.

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2022-11-05, 14:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
ntly gives you translation options, and I watched it with the original German audio with English subtitles - another friend complained about it having dubbed British English audio?
It defaulted to British English dubs for me as well, had to switch to German with subtitles, even though I normally watch foreign stuff with subtitles. Odd.