User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Will a USB wireless dongle let me share intenet connection vis airport?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Will a USB wireless dongle let me share intenet connection vis airport?
revolution

Send a message via AIM to revolution  
2005-11-09, 07:02

Since I didn't get a response by adding this to a relevant topic I will ask again in a new thread.

I wish to use my iBook around my house at uni, but still be connected to the internet. We have an ethernet network setup around the house (by the landlord so we can't change it to a wireless router) with 2 Macs, my iBook and my house mates eMac along with 3 PC's. I am the only person with wireless capabilities at the moment, but I was wondering, would I be able to use one a wireless enabling usb dongle to share my house mates connection off his eMac?? The dongle in question is a Belkin one, it gives wireless capabilities to machines, I suppose like an AirPort card would.

If so, how would we go about setting this up??

And, would I be able to do the same thing using this product on my parents PC back at home?? I get fed up of having to pinch the usb modem with no ethernet port all the time.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2005-11-09, 10:53

If it had an airport card than you absolutely could, but I'm not sure about the USB adapter. Check it out though, go into system preferences, sharing, than click on the Internet tab. There should be a drop down menu that says "share your connection through:" I'm not sure if you'll be able to select the USB device from there, but it's worth a shot.

There's also probably a way to set up a wireless router without your landlord knowing. WTF does he have against wireless routers anyway?

Come waste your time with me
revolution

2005-11-09, 12:11

He doesn't have anything against it. I'm just looking for the cheapest way to get wireless internet to my laptop in the lounge, so I can use it in there and around the house, and not have the hassle or risk of a cable trailing around the lunge etc.

I may resort to a wireless access point like a belkin one i have seen that is around £40 and just plug that into the ethernet point in my room. That would broadcast the signal wouldn't it and wouldn't take much configuration.

But thats £40 and if the wireless dongle will allow it thats only £17, plus if the wireless dongle will work here, it should work at home on my parents pc and their modem has no ethernet connection!!
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2005-11-09, 12:43

You can get a full blown wireless router (not just access point) for less than that. Keep your eyes open for deals and rebates, they're all over the place. Check DealMac frequently.

revolution

2005-11-09, 16:45

Can I just plug a wireless router into my room though?? will it still work with the existing router that sends it round to all our rooms??

I need it proper idiot style as I don't understand the whole router/wireless router/access point very well.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2005-11-10, 01:59

Yes, you can run a wireless router out of a regular router. How many ports (ethernet hookups) does your current router have? It's possible to get a multi port router that will double as wireless. If that's not possible than I believe it's possible to plug a router into a router.

SQUIRRI

2005-11-12, 18:14

I use a DLINK DWL-122 USB-> Wireless adaptor on an ancient iBook running Panther. We have a DLINK WAP plugged into our home LAN. It works a treat - both wireless PC's and Macs can use the WAP to share our internet connection. I use IPNETROUTER on a Mac with 2 NICs, rather than a hardware router to handle the cable internet connection. Works a treat and has been very very stable for a few years now.