AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Think Secret's News Reporting

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Think Secret's News Reporting
Page 1 of 3 [1] 2 3  Next Thread Tools
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2004-08-10, 15:29

I had the oppertunity to speak with Nick DePlume. His words are bold, mine are in this text.

==========
I disagree. My job is to report news to my readers. It's as simple as that.

so while i may see your point now and agree that your reporting is beneficial to everyone
when it comes to the illegality of
the retail stuff
there needs to be some judghement
nothing is cut and dry in this world
those who make it so
cut it up, and make it sry
dry
there needs to be some responsibility

Our judgment is that it's Apple's job -- not ours -- to promote Apple's best interests.

why do you exist?
what's in your best interest
Apple goes, so do you

Then so be it.

haha
sure

We serve to report news to readers. That's it.
have a nice day
Nice talking with you.

You need to survive too
nice talking with you

We're not going to hold back accurate news from our readers if it makes Apple look better.
Thanks for reading!

You make money off of Apple
they are your niche

Maybe I'm idealistic, but I look at this from the perspective of serving our readers with news, rather than from the perspective of lining my wallet.

i dont think you have to "line it"
idealism is a good thing
but
responsibility is different than what you do sometimes
you dont have very responsible sources do you?

If I was holding back news based on my own economic interest, I don't think that would be responsible at all, nor ethical.

and news is only as responsible as its sources, and yours break laws to bring you the news. Ethical?

I think our record speaks for itself. Good day.
--------

That conversation left me with a bad taste in my mouth.

"We are reviewing some 9,000 recent UNHCR referrals from Syria. We are receiving roughly a thousand new ones each month, and we expect admissions from Syria to surge in 2015 and beyond." - Anne C. Richard, Assistant Secretary, Bureau of Population, Refugees, and Migration

Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2004-08-10, 15:32

So what's your point? That you're a jerk?

I mean... did I miss something here? What's wrong with ThinkSecret? I don't think they're breaking any laws by posting information from various sources of information from within Apple. They've always complied with Apple's requests for them to remove any content from their page, and it's the employee's decision whether or not they want to break their NDA. ThinkSecret has nothing to do with that.

Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2004-08-10, 15:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca
So what's your point? That you're a jerk?
That he gets his money and his news from people who break laws.

Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2004-08-10, 15:36

^^ See edit to my post. I edited after you replied. ^^

I still think that it's not ThinkSecret's place to be the moral compass. If Apple employees choose to break their NDA, so be it. TS just reports what people say.

And come to think of it, don't all major news outlets get their stories from people breaking laws? Most news stories you see on TV involve various illegal activities. So is your local news station immoral for making money through reporting a murder?

Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2004-08-10, 15:36

Maybe so, but I think it is unethical.

Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2004-08-10, 15:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messiahtosh
Maybe so, but I think it is unethical.
Some would also say it's unethical to post private conversations you have with people online. Apparently that doesn't stop you from doing it.

Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2004-08-10, 15:39

Quote:
Some would also say it's unethical to post private conversations you have with people online. Apparently that doesn't stop you from doing it.
I think it is unethical to reveal the specifications of products before they are available. It does not help Apple, it does not help us, it helps Think Secret. That's what I have a problem with.

"We are reviewing some 9,000 recent UNHCR referrals from Syria. We are receiving roughly a thousand new ones each month, and we expect admissions from Syria to surge in 2015 and beyond." - Anne C. Richard, Assistant Secretary, Bureau of Population, Refugees, and Migration

Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2004-08-10, 15:40

Yes, but unethical is the way of the media. It has always been so, and I don't think the public would be well informed, nor would it be the American way, if information gained in unethical ways was withheld from the public.

User formally known as Sh0eWax

Quagmire
meh

2004-08-10, 15:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messiahtosh
I think it is unethical to reveal the specifications of products before they are available. It does not help Apple, it does not help us, it helps Think Secret. That's what I have a problem with.
How many mac people look at ts. They are giving away info to a small percentage. It is always a day or two away so it doesn't hurt sales much.

giggity

windowsblowsass

Send a message via AIM to windowsblowsass  
2004-08-10, 15:42

fidgt, fight , fight!

ive got 2 bucks on messiahtosh in the 3rd round

murbot
Hoonigan

2004-08-10, 15:42

If you think it's so wrong to do what Think Secret does, what the fuck are you doing here? And what were you doing at AppleInsider for so long?

These "look at this and tell me how right I am" shit is so old. Get a clue man.

Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2004-08-10, 15:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by windowsblowsass
fidgt, fight , fight!

ibe got 2 bucks on messiahtosh in the 3rd round
With Murbot in the ring? I'll put double on our Canadian friend.

alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2004-08-10, 15:44

Quote:
I think it is unethical to reveal the specifications of products before they are available.
WOW! ThinkSecret has specs on new hardware. Kick ass! I'll reply later, gotta go read the new info!

Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2004-08-10, 15:45

I am here to discuss, and if information is leaked, I'll look at it. I just wish there would be more responsible ways of obtaining "inside information." Why can't the sources just say it directly, instead of giving it to a middle-man, who ends up reaping the benefits...

Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2004-08-10, 15:46

Oh, I see how it is. So they're unethical but you're still more than happy to go visit their site and read the information they put there.

Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2004-08-10, 15:47

Quote:
Oh, I see how it is. So they're unethical but you're still more than happy to go visit their site and read the information they put there.

Yes, I'll read it if it's available. I do not like the way they obtain it and make money off of someone's negligence.

windowsblowsass

Send a message via AIM to windowsblowsass  
2004-08-10, 15:48

im confused.

is this luca and murbot vs. messiahtosh or lucavs. messiahtosh or murbot vs. messiahtosh

i need to know i have to start making the odds

maybe messiahtosh can get a partner so there can be a tag team match?

murbot
Hoonigan

2004-08-10, 15:48

No, he's here to get a little flamewar going so he can masturbate to it. It's just the way he is.

Too much auto-erotic asphyxiation as a kid.

DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2004-08-10, 15:49

How many beers does he have in him?

If it's > than 5, I got 20 USD on him

It's not unethical for TS or for anyone for that matter to report information that they have. TS being an internet venture as it is, it allows them a little more freedom in what they print, because you should always take what you hear on the net with a grain of salt.

Point is, it's not unethical, they have to make money, and that's how they do it.

Come waste your time with me

Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2004-08-10, 15:50

I see it this way. There are 4 parties here.

1. Apple

2. The sources

3. Think Secret

4. Us

Why does #3 need to be there? Why can't #2 just post the information. Protection? There are ways to leak things without having to go through the ThinkSecret middleman.

murbot
Hoonigan

2004-08-10, 15:51

At least Macintosh has class, he only posts songs about hating retards, and movies making insecure overweight kids grab their balls for movies that are "never going online".

Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

Quote:
Originally Posted by windowsblowsass
im confused.

is this luca and murbot vs. messiahtosh or lucavs. messiahtosh or murbot vs. messiahtosh

i need to know i have to start making the odds

maybe messiahtosh can get a partner so there can be a tag team match?
From what I can tell, it's Luca+Murbot+Alcimedes+DMBand0026+Sh0eWax vs. Messiahtosh.

Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

Because theres so many sources we'd be checkin a million different places every day, for perhaps not even any update. Thats the job of the media, is a niche that must be filled.

User formally known as Sh0eWax

Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2004-08-10, 15:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by murbot
At least Macintosh has class, he only posts songs about hating retards, and movies about making insecure overweight kids grab their balls for movies that are "never going online".

Why do you make things personal? Class? Re-read any one of your posts and try NOT finding a swear word, something about alcoholism, prostitution, masturbating, or retards for that matter.

Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2004-08-10, 15:53

Quote:
From what I can tell, it's Luca+Murbot+Alcimedes+DMBand0026+Sh0eWax vs. Messiahtosh.

I'd say. Hehe

Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2004-08-10, 15:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh0eWax
Because theres so many sources we'd be checkin a million different places every day, for perhaps not even any update. Thats the job of the media, is a niche that must be filled.
Worker Bee?

Quagmire
meh

2004-08-10, 15:54

Quote:

You missed me. I willl go for messia's legs.

murbot
Hoonigan

Yeah, I won't deny it. You bring out the best in people.

murbot
Hoonigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertaker
You missed me. I willl go for messia's legs.
dude give him a rock bottom.

Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2004-08-10, 15:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by murbot
Yeah, I won't deny it. You bring out the best in people.
You are just mean.