Page 2 of 2 Previous 1 [2]  Thread Tools
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2006-06-10, 14:34

I tried.

Off He Goes, Pearl Jam.

http://homepage.mac.com/chrisd7/FileSharing44.html

Eh.

Last edited by Messiahtosh : 2006-06-10 at 14:41.
Stone Of Love
Veteran Member

Location: Detroit City is the place to be...maddog town gonna set you free
Send a message via AIM to Stone Of Love  
2006-06-11, 00:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMBand0026
She's a no talent bum who was picked to become the next teen pop star because she was moderately physically attractive.

I'll give you the "was" attractive. But moderately??? That first video was HOT!

She's a fucking train wreck now, but Oh My once upon a time....
thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2006-06-11, 05:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrao
Hey I tried to sing!

Without Her

Recorded live in one take, last night at around 2 AM with no shirt on.
I listened to the end. It was ok, I,ve heard a lot worse. Very brave to post it here. Nice one.
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2006-06-11, 15:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegeriatric
I listened to the end. It was ok, I,ve heard a lot worse. Very brave to post it here. Nice one.
I just posted one too, and its a cappella Pearl Jam.
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2006-06-11, 15:23

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Db6O6ctsFlw

It's pathetic. All lipsyncing, and BAD lipsyncing.

However, I really don't mind lipsyncing. If you get better sound quality from it, so be it.
thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2006-06-11, 15:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messiahtosh
I just posted one too, and its a cappella Pearl Jam.
Ok not bad, a tad long, not my kind of thing. But Cool.
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2006-06-12, 21:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegeriatric
Ok not bad, a tad long, not my kind of thing. But Cool.
Hey, thanks man.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2007-09-26, 20:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ast3r3x View Post
Just because it's not a standard voice doesn't mean it's not singing. He has an awesome voice that apparently millions of people like.

If you want to give an example of a bad voice being popular, stick with Dylan. Still the man though. …although his views on life are depressing.

I've been meaning to post this since last week, but I saw James Blunt do his 1973 song (which is hilarious because I'm pretty sure he was either a)not born yet in 1973 or b) was a toddler at best..) and I have to say, this guy is a weepy hack IMO. All of his songs have that same "listen to me ladies, I'm so sensitive and worn out... won't you please comfort me?" sound to them, that I immediately wanted to slap him upside the head. I'm not saying his music is terrible, but it's just so milk toast that I want to slit my wrists when listening to it. It's like Morrissey's long-haired hippy cousin woke up and started singing one day or something, but without all the identity crises and bipolar disorders.

Seriously, and getting up on his piano after a GMA performance?? There was no one cheering him and he was dancing around on the piano like he thought he was Mick Jagger or something. One of his bandmates was totally embarrassed. You could just see this look on his face like "uh yah, you represent us too dickhead, not just yourself. Please don't walk on the piano during GMA productions anymore. Thanks."

...into the light of a dark black night.
Wrao
Yarp

2007-09-26, 20:20

Hm... old thread. I stand by everything I said in this thread. But I would add that I sing a lot better today then I did a year ago. I still do not consider myself a singer, but whatever.
Satchmo
can't read sarcasm.

2007-09-26, 20:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMBand0026 View Post
She's a no talent bum who was picked to become the next teen pop star because she was moderately physically attractive.
She had that Lolita fantasy shared by record execs and dirty old men.
It won't be long before she'll sell her body to Playboy.
NosferaDrew
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to NosferaDrew Send a message via AIM to NosferaDrew Send a message via Skype™ to NosferaDrew 
2007-09-26, 21:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMBand0026 View Post
That is one of the industries' worst kept secrets. Her voice is doctored and enhanced endlessly for her albums and than is just regurgitated at the audience when she "performs" live on stage.
Almost everyone gets a little enhancement - I've been doing this for years as part of my job.

As an example, if you've ever seen the Chili Peppers live, you've probably noticed that Anthony can't "sing" in tune very well.
A co-worker of mine once was tasked to tweak each slightly off-pitch syllable for an entire album.
And I once worked on a TV special for Brittany a few years ago and we took her actual live track, enhanced it and mixed it in with previously tracked vocals.

Most artists do it nowadays.
Hell, most film and TV and DVD audio is substantially "enhanced" also. And I'm one of many who do it day in and day out.
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2007-09-26, 21:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by NosferaDrew View Post
Most artists do it nowadays.
Pop or rap "artists" (aka pap artists) - maybe.
"Superstar performers" - maybe.

But no one worthy of being called either a musician or a singer.
Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2007-09-26, 22:05

K.D. Lang is one of my favorite singers. She can really sing, and there's something about the tone of her voice that I just love. I think part of being able to sing well is practice, but part of it is just natural ability or just how your voice sounds. I think there's a lot of factors involved, not all of which can be overcome with practice.
Wrao
Yarp

2007-09-26, 22:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFL View Post
Pop or rap "artists" (aka pap artists) - maybe.
"Superstar performers" - maybe.

But no one worthy of being called either a musician or a singer.
You would be surprised. Basically, as long as their is a lot of money passing through a project, you can bet your ass that there are multiple levels of processing to 'perfect' the final product. In most cases it is simply effects and vocal processing, but ghostwriting and ghost-performing isn't out of the question either.
Freewell

2007-09-27, 01:28

Great thread. Great question. Some great input already... I'm glad Moogs resurrected it. I'll consolidate my own $.02 after I actually go to bed, get some sleep, and can organize my thoughts!
Wrao
Yarp

2007-10-03, 12:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrao View Post
Hey I tried to sing!

Without Her

Recorded live in one take, last night at around 2 AM with no shirt on.

For the sake of reference, I recorded a song last night with more singing on it, I think that in the (nearly) 2 years since this thread I have started to become a decent singer, although it is still not something I focus too much time or practice into. This one was done at 1 AM, I was wearing a shirt, but I was sitting on the floor. Also, I did a guitar solo for this one at the end, if you listen to it at all, listen to the guitar solo at the end, I think it's a good one.

Lost Without U - By Robin Thicke
murbot
Hoonigan

2007-10-03, 12:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaqtly View Post
K.D. Lang is one of my favorite singers. She can really sing, and there's something about the tone of her voice that I just love. I think part of being able to sing well is practice, but part of it is just natural ability or just how your voice sounds. I think there's a lot of factors involved, not all of which can be overcome with practice.
She has a naturally strongly muscled tongue, and expert control of her lips. I heard she can lick a dent into a chrome bumper.