Password
AppleNova Forums » Feedback »

Member list - looks very *ahem* ai

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Member list - looks very *ahem* ai
Mac+
9" monochrome

2004-12-05, 18:20

Has the Members page been redesigned recently with alternating light and dark grey columns and IM/email addresses. The post count column is also at the far right now?

Reminds me of the other place a bit too much.

Having said this, a Join Date column would be cool .... I know, "you can't have your cake and eat it too!"

All I want is a simple life
twitter

Last edited by Mac+ : 2004-12-05 at 18:21. Reason: damn typos :mad:
NosferaDrew
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to NosferaDrew Send a message via AIM to NosferaDrew Send a message via Skype™ to NosferaDrew 
2004-12-05, 19:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac+
.... I know, "you can't have your cake and eat it too!"
Hey! Leave me out of this!
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2004-12-05, 20:03

If it looks anything like AI then that probably just means that someone did a good job designing it when he worked over there. Mere coincidence. Nothing more.

Seriously, though, I updated the page this morning because I had just looked at it yesterday and thought it didn't offer the right information. For one, it was too sparse; so, I added a couple of columns useful columns. Practically no one ever uses the reputation system any more; so, I removed that (but the system is still active).

The coloring is the standard alternating scheme used by vB. If I really wanted to make them all the same color, I could, but I'd have to hack at them for a while. The coloring was already alternating before; you just don't seem to remember for some reason.

The column ordering is not changeable through the admin panel. I'd have to go in and hack at the templates to change that too.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2004-12-05, 20:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by NosferaDrew
aha - I never knew ... not that I've had cause to post much there since I set up camp here.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2004-12-05, 20:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
If it looks anything like AI then that probably just means that someone did a good job designing it when he worked over there. Mere coincidence. Nothing more.
Good point!

Quote:
The coloring is the standard alternating scheme used by vB. If I really wanted to make them all the same color, I could, but I'd have to hack at them for a while. The coloring was already alternating before; you just don't seem to remember for some reason.
You are right, I had forgotten about those alternate colours for the columns - it must have been all those homestarrunner characters I tried to get through last night. then Seriously, though, the IM and homepage columns look pretty large and I think the stark difference to what it used to be surprised me.

Quote:
The column ordering is not changeable through the admin panel. I'd have to go in and hack at the templates to change that too.
I thought that the Posts column used to be in the middle and not at the edge in the previous version?

twitter
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2004-12-05, 20:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac+
I thought that the Posts column used to be in the middle and not at the edge in the previous version?
...because the reputation was to the right.

Here are the columns in order:

username (required, but usertitle is optional)
emaillink and pmlink
imicons
homepagelink
searchlink
datejoined
profilepic
birthday
The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2004-12-05, 21:05

I just started using that reputation thing!
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2004-12-05, 21:34

Well, it still shows up in the person's profile and user control panel.

I might add it back in. Nothing here is permanent, of course!

edit: okay, I added it back in and modified the "pip" values. Since so few people have been using the reputation, I shifted the points-per-pip value so it's a little more representative of changes.

Majost
monkey with a tiny cymbal

2004-12-05, 22:29

I always thought that the reason that page looked funky was because it's missing the darker outline around the header. The memberlist, newreply, and search pages all are missing the darker "sheet" behind the top section of the page.

This:

As compared to:

I know it's nitpicky, but I think the latter looks ten times nicer.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2004-12-05, 22:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majost
I know it's nitpicky, but I think the latter looks ten times nicer.
If we ever get around to switching to the UI update 1.5 (probably over the holiday break since I will have a break from school), that's something that we've already taken care of.

Note: this will be a UI update, not a wholly new UI.

Wickers
is not a kind of basket

2004-12-05, 23:06

Well I will place my trust in you for the update. I'm sure it will look great.

This UI for the site has really grown on me since the first time I saw it. . . I really like it now.

Keep up the good work, you know who you are!

no sig, how's that for being a rebel!
Mac+
9" monochrome

2004-12-05, 23:41

Looks good with the combined Contact column and the Reputation system back at the end. Personally, I would also like to see the Date Joined column included - but that decision is not up to me to make.

Anyway, looking forward to the next UI update!

twitter
Paul
Veteran Member

2004-12-06, 08:54

Quote:
Well, it still shows up in the person's profile and user control panel.

I might add it back in. Nothing here is permanent, of course!

edit: okay, I added it back in and modified the "pip" values. Since so few people have been using the reputation, I shifted the points-per-pip value so it's a little more representative of changes.
hmm... does look a lot better...
nitpick: would it be possible to set the "pretty average" tooltip to have a white pip? some people with like one or two points have a green pip, but are still "pretty average". Additionally, those of us who are "decent individuals" have no differentiation between those "average" folks... (note: this has long been the case before the modified pip values, so its really not a big deal at all. I just wanted to mention it. )

Also, is it possible for us peons to make our own member page by playing with the php? I don't know much about the code and how it works, but this:
Code:
http://forums.applenova.com/memberlist.php?do=getall&page=7&ltr=&pp=30&order=asc&postslower=0&postsupper=0&sort=username&ausername=&homepage=&icq=&aim=&yahoo=&msn=&joindateafter=&joindatebefore=&lastpostafter=&lastpostbefore=
seems to show a bunch of options to play with. Assuming I knew what I was doing (I don't), could I make any other information show up on the memberlist.php page? (other then what you have made 'available' through the admin panel currently.) But something tells me I'd just be wasting my time.

1215/234215 (top .51875%)
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one business model. -EvilTwinSkippy (/.)