AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Apple Store - SYDNEY

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Apple Store - SYDNEY
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
Mac+
9" monochrome

2008-06-16, 08:39

First Apple Store in the Southern Hemisphere. Right opposite from work. I must get a photo from the floor where our usability lab is - great view. Unfortunately these shots are just from the N95 and they've been scaled using Automator to 25%, but I thought I'd post 'em anyway just in case somebody was interested. Opens on Thursday June 19 at 5pm.

All I want is a simple life
twitter
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-06-16, 08:45

That's awesome! Cool pics too.

It wouldn't do for me to have an Apple Store that close. I'd be ticketed (or arrested) weekly for loitering...
dmegatool
Custom User Title

2008-06-16, 08:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
That's awesome! Cool pics too.

It wouldn't do for me to have an Apple Store that close. I'd be ticketed (or arrested) weekly for loitering...
But this store would sell well. Isn't you that already said that you helped a lot of people in an Apple store... resulting in sales ?

Nice pic indeed. Hope I could get a Store this close... The closer I got is a 5h drive.

Dave Mustaine :"God created whammy bars for people who don't know how to solo."
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-06-16, 09:04

Not so much Apple stores, as their staff seems to have a clue. This was in places like CompUSA...

I think I've only "helped" someone in an Apple store - just answered some questions, showed them a few things, etc. - once or twice (and that was because it was so busy, and they were kinda cute and clueless). But it was CompUSA where I did my best work.

Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2008-06-16, 09:08

Holy hell thats huge! Is it bigger than Regent Street or Boylston Street? (The two biggest current Apple Stores)
Mac+
9" monochrome

2008-06-16, 09:46

I've only seen a few, so I can't vouch how it compares to the US stores, but it doesn't seem *that* huge. It's probably bigger than the one in London, but I 'm not sure if it is bigger (in terms of footage) than the one in Ginza, Tokyo - that was four stories of retail and another two on top of that iirc.

Here are some plans - via ai:

twitter
¡Damned!

2008-06-16, 10:35

I'm shocked that Apple didn't use Bondi Blue as the color to that backdrop. Would have been a nice 'full-circle' tip of the hat.

Very cool though, Mac+. I can't wait to see the interior.

So it goes.
joveblue
Veteran Member

2008-06-17, 08:15

Apparently it's extremely shallow compared to other stores. More pics here

*waits for Melbourne store*
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2008-06-17, 20:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraetos View Post

Holy hell thats huge! Is it bigger than Regent Street or Boylston Street? (The two biggest current Apple Stores)
Those aren't even the two biggest Apple stores.

And no, this one is not bigger than either of those.
Chinney
Veteran Member

2008-06-17, 22:30

Size doesn't matter.

Actually, why would you need a huge Apple store? As successful as Apple has become over the past few years, their product line-up is still pretty limited. How much space can you dedicated to a small number of different computers, iPods, the iPhone, and a few other gizmos, software offerings and accessories?

Maybe they need some space to display the HP and Dell line-up as well, to give consumers choice.

Or maybe there is a floor or two for fashion. "If you have a MBP, you'll probably want to be wearing this...."

Despite having a house full of Apple products, I have actually never been in an Apple store, so I'll just have to wait for the full experience.

When there's an eel in the lake that's as long as a snake that's a moray.
joveblue
Veteran Member

2008-06-18, 06:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by APC
The Sydney Store is actually the second-largest Apple Store in the world (after London's Regent St outlet).
http://apcmag.com/Content.aspx?id=2478
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to Fahrenheit  
2008-06-18, 06:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinney View Post
Size doesn't matter.

Actually, why would you need a huge Apple store? As successful as Apple has become over the past few years, their product line-up is still pretty limited. How much space can you dedicated to a small number of different computers, iPods, the iPhone, and a few other gizmos, software offerings and accessories?

Maybe they need some space to display the HP and Dell line-up as well, to give consumers choice.

Or maybe there is a floor or two for fashion. "If you have a MBP, you'll probably want to be wearing this...."

Despite having a house full of Apple products, I have actually never been in an Apple store, so I'll just have to wait for the full experience.
They are more than just a store! Tutorials, live gigs, minimalist design, and of course room for expansion for future products.
crazychester
Dick in the Abstentia, The

2008-06-18, 16:23

Damn you beat me joveblue.

Mac+, the Today show is there. You should run downstairs and get on telly so I can get all excited because I'm watching. You know how such simple technological marvels excite me (think 3-way voice chat to China).

And you should get me some free stuff. I love free stuff.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2008-06-18, 17:18

cc - I'm going to try and get a t-shirt tonight, but am not sure of my luck. If I can manage to get more than one I'll do so.

709 - I was told they did use Bondi Blue as the colour for the promo advertising in this store.

Here are some more shots:

Tuesday night - Store's up (Geddit? As in, you know, Surf's up and a wave of iPods.) Note also the guards standing by; they are present 24/7 and work in 12 hour shifts and have been doing so for months. ("Good evening sir, please don't touch the glass." Not that I did, mind you - this was just a pre-emptive courtesy warning.)

Wednesday night - Pre-opening drinks obviously. View from our usability lab office space and then some ground shots with people beginning to line up/camp out. The last two people are the guy who runs the "ifoapplestore" website and his son, who flew over from California.

twitter
¡Damned!

2008-06-18, 17:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac+ View Post
709 - I was told they did use Bondi Blue as the colour for the promo advertising in this store.
I couldn't tell, but that's really cool. I got the "Drop in soon." (ala dropping into a wave), but the "Store's up." is really pushing it home. How fun!

So it goes.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-06-18, 17:47

That's "Store's up" design is neat!

I guess that why some folks get paid the big bucks.

If they had any balls, they'd have a silver iPod cutting through on an angle, like a great white's dorsal fin...

j/k
crazychester

2008-06-18, 17:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac+
"Good evening sir, please don't touch the glass." Not that I did, mind you - this was just a pre-emptive courtesy warning.
How very Apple! Always ready to make you feel special even when they're telling you to keep your dirty paws off the biggest piece of reinforced glass (or something to that effect) EVAR!!!11!

I forgot to tell you about how when we were at the cafe that day playing with the iPhone, there were two guys sitting behind you who you couldn't see who keptt edging closer and closer to try to get a squizz of it and listen to our conversation. We may have ended up being the souce of some improbable rumour on the mactalk forums. I didn't think to check.

Edit: Oh and you need to fix some of the text in your post. It's being obscured by one of the pics.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2008-06-18, 18:16

I just realised, from the posts above, that the London store is larger and I thought the Sydney store was bigger than that. I'm a hack at estimating size. (insert innuendo here)
Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2008-06-19, 01:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by joveblue View Post
That is incorrect.

In addition, "size" is a very relative term for Apple Stores. There is no consistency in their methods of measurement. Some measure back of house space, some don't.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2008-06-19, 01:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinney View Post
Size doesn't matter.

Hm...

Visit the 5th Ave or SOHO or Grove or SF or.... etc.... Apple's flagship stores are nearly crippled by crowds at peak hours (and even at not peak hours).

It's quite remarkable. More space the better for these big city stores that provide exposure to several million people.
crazychester

2008-06-19, 02:13

It's just opened. I'm watching everybody file in. No sign of Mac+. I wanna T-shirt! God, we're such dags.
joveblue
Veteran Member

2008-06-19, 04:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Ulysses View Post
That is incorrect.

In addition, "size" is a very relative term for Apple Stores. There is no consistency in their methods of measurement. Some measure back of house space, some don't.
This is where you provide some sort of evidence to back up your claim
Mac+
9" monochrome

2008-06-19, 07:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazychester View Post
It's just opened. I'm watching everybody file in. No sign of Mac+. I wanna T-shirt! God, we're such dags.
Hi Margie,

I just got back home - gotta love that ol' 9:30 ferry. I didn't wait outside from 5pm - tempted as I was. I took a few photos from our office space and from across the street, but then headed back in to do some more work. The line actually wound right around the block apparently. I walked it during lunch time (it was half way at that point) and it stopped ust outside this second hand record store. In the window was a signed Nick Cave album, so I took a photo for 709.

Back to the story - I went out at about 7pm and managed to get inside in under 20 minutes which was good. Scored one t-shirt, but must have been close to the end, because even before I left all the boxes had gone. So sorry about that.

Side note: For the t-shirt, they just hand you a box with no markings, aside form a grey strip of tape with a white apple sealing an edge. I opened it up just then and it was XL. I'm not skinny, but I still reckon I could fit two of me in this thing.

Impressions: clean, beautiful, expertly laid out for maximum visual impact and minimum clutter, yada yada yada and staffed by "over the top" employees whooping and cheering and giving high 5s as you enter. I'm beginning to think I'm too old for this much enthusiasm these days.

Took a few more photos with the N95, but it ran out of juice whilst in there and is charging now. I'll post them in the morning.

twitter
Mac+
9" monochrome

2008-06-19, 17:34

First - for 709:

Now, the event itself.

Revving up the staff:

Doors open:

Across the street view:

Go to the light:

Ubiquitous glass staircase:

One to one service offering:

Genius Bar:

Apple sign:

(Damn - I can't work out how to keep this flipped properly now - tilt your monitor.)

"Yes, I'd like a receipt and a bag please..." (or 'And, Jobs said, "let nothing visibly protrude" and, so, it was.)

twitter
Chinney
Veteran Member

2008-06-19, 21:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Ulysses View Post
Hm...

Visit the 5th Ave or SOHO or Grove or SF or.... etc.... Apple's flagship stores are nearly crippled by crowds at peak hours (and even at not peak hours).

It's quite remarkable. More space the better for these big city stores that provide exposure to several million people.

Really? Impressive.

I can't imagine it would be that big a deal here...but maybe it would, if we actually had a store.

I can't imagine that Ottawa is high on their priority list, if it even makes it to the list at all.

When there's an eel in the lake that's as long as a snake that's a moray.
¡Damned!

2008-06-20, 11:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac+ View Post
First - for 709:
Holy shit, that's a good find right there. I'd have it framed and up on my wall.

If it was me standing in that line I think the combination of the anticipation of an Apple Store opening and the shock of seeing a signed copy of From Her to Eternity would've made my head asplode.

Thanks for the pic.

So it goes.
crazychester

2008-06-20, 20:31

I linked to this thread at AI so that the poor relations particpating in the Apple Sydney Store thread over there (currently bereft of visual elements and adorned only with wanky adjectives like "eclectic") might enjoy the benefits of your photographic expertise and prime viewing position, Mac+.

The thread at AI has degenerated into a Sydney v Melbourne debate. Remember when alc (I think) locked that thread here where we were talking Australian politics. He interpretd our comments as heated debate when really none of us gave a rat's arse and we were taking the piss out of politicians in general.

Well in a similar example of the cultural divide but in reverse, it seems that none of the mods at AI who have looked at that thread realize that when an Australian accuses somebody of being British (he didn't use the term whinging Pom but it's easy to read between the lines), it's an insult as offensive as others might find the terms "anti-semitic" or "rascist".

So 709 got a photo of a signed copy of From Her To Eternity and I got.......................nuffink!
Mac+
9" monochrome

2008-06-21, 01:00

I looked very hard for artificial vaginas* to photograph, but got nothing... well, aside from the geeks who waited inline for over twenty four hours.

I will try to get a memento of some sort for you Margie.

* In the event that cc's signature changes, this was in reference to that.

twitter
joveblue
Veteran Member

2008-06-21, 02:01

What an amusing thread over at AI
crazychester

2008-06-21, 02:10

Quote:
I looked very hard for artificial vaginas* to photograph, but got nothing...
I hope you weren't looking for one for me. In case you hadn't realized, I've got a real one I can look at any time I damn well like.

Heeeeeey, who am I kidding. I can do a helluva lot more than just look. A helluva lot more.....................

Wha'? Oh sorry I drifted off there for a moment.

Quote:
I will try to get a memento of some sort for you Margie.
Don't worry I know just the thing.

<Chester scrawls in little black book>
Note to self: Mac+ owes me another plate of chargrilled octopus in lieu of Apple T-shirt.