2009-03-15, 17:04

UConn a #1? Bullshit.
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2009-03-15, 17:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKIDelirium View Post
UConn a #1? Bullshit.
Somewhat questionable given that one of their best players is out with an injury.

But - who else would you have put in their spot?
flounder

2009-03-15, 18:02

The bracket looks good for MSU. #2 in the midwest is what I was hoping for. They definitely have the talent to make the final four, but sadly I doubt they'll be able to go 4 games without laying one of their stinkolas as they did yesterday.

A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts - Ani DiFranco
jcoley2
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to jcoley2  
2009-03-15, 19:31

I am so happy my USC Trojans backed into a bid with their Pac-10 tournament win. . . I just wished they were playing their first round against BC closer to the East.

Now that I got a job, I can buy more Apple products!
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2009-03-15, 21:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by flounder View Post
The bracket looks good for MSU. #2 in the midwest is what I was hoping for. They definitely have the talent to make the final four, but sadly I doubt they'll be able to go 4 games without laying one of their stinkolas as they did yesterday.
You realize that UNC kicked MSU's ass earlier this year, right? 98-63, IIRC.
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2009-03-15, 22:39

Despite the dreaded 5th seed I think FSU has a serious shot at making the 3rd round which, considering we haven't been dancing in 11 years, would be awesome!

90% of statistics can be made to say anything 50% of the time.
Website | Twitter
flounder

2009-03-16, 06:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
You realize that UNC kicked MSU's ass earlier this year, right? 98-63, IIRC.
That was of course one of the aforementioned stinkolas

However that game was without Suton, and Roe's knees are much healthier now as well. That being said, IF Lawson is healthy and IF they decide to play defense, UNC is going to win the tournament. They are clearly the most talented team.

Fortunately, UNC is not in MSU's region.

I would only be mildly surprised if MSU lost in the second round, and I'd only be mildly surprised in they made the final four.

MSU needs to focus on limiting the turnovers (a problem all year) and not letting opposing teams get easy looks at 3s early in the game which gives the other team confidence and allows them to hit a bunch of long/contested 3s (see the home losses to Northwestern and Penn State).

Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2009-03-16, 22:28

Are brackets due tomorrow?
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2009-03-16, 22:30

Thursday I think. I started tonight, will do the AN one tomorrow. Currently filling in my three brackets on Yahoo.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2009-03-16, 22:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKIDelirium View Post
Thursday I think. I started tonight, will do the AN one tomorrow. Currently filling in my three brackets on Yahoo.
Doh! I just saw that.
JohnnyTheA

2009-03-16, 23:01

I'm happy my school (Cal State Northridge) got in this year. Its only their second time. But they are up against Memphis. Gotta go with my head and against CSUN... To win the whole thing? I'm usually lucky to pick one final four team because I always try to pick upsets... I am going to try an resist that tempation and maybe go with Louisville... Not sure...

JTA
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2009-03-17, 20:29

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/ncaato...PNHeadlines #

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2009-03-17, 21:17

Obama has Reggie Love (a former Dookie) on his staff. He's going to pick Duke to go a long way. Of course, Duke seems to have a really hard time making it out of the second round of late, so that'd be a bad pick. Dook, this year, as ever, is overrated.

My heels? Unfortunately I think they lack the toughness to win it all. I think they won only one of the 5 or so games that were close for them.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2009-03-17, 21:21

Quote:
My heels? Unfortunately I think they lack the toughness to win it all. I think they won only one of the 5 or so games that were close for them.
I've got them winning the whole thing. Easy bracket for them. I think they'll take it.
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2009-03-18, 10:40

That's crazy-talk. Duke gets a lot of love outside the region people actually see them play. If FSU had just played to their strengths instead of shooting from outside, FSU, should have beaten Duke for the ACC tourney. duke is better than the past couple of years, but their weaknesses are the same: no post play on offense, dependent on the 3 ball, can't handle big guys inside on D, and can't defend drives-and-dishes to the outside shot. Classic Duke. They won't get the calls they get in ACC play. Tourney refs don't call the flops or hip thrusts on 3s, and they don't swallow their whistles in the second half. Any physical inside team on offense and defense (see: UNC) can beat them. Villanova, UCLA, Xavier and especially Pitt can take care of business against Duke.

Tori, UNC did show a lot more grit and toughness in the ACC tourney and in the last two games of the season IMO. Frankly, I think their liability in close games is Roy (sacrilege, I know) who doesn't manage the clock well late in the game. He leaves TOs on the floor (I understand saving them until late, unless it's, say, that Kansas game!), doesn't have his players foul quickly if they're behind, and sometimes has his players run and put up shots too quickly.

UNC may be very hampered without Lawson in any case. They'll get to the Sweet 16 without him if they need to, but if facing Gonzaga they will most likely need him badly. DFG (that's Danny Freaking Green) needs to get out of his slump too, but that's just a matter of practice and keeping it out of his head during the game. I'm actually positive on two frosh getting major playing time: Davis and Drew II. Davis is clearly in the best position to contribute. Drew II is making better decisions right now, and hopefully can show some scoring touch if need be. Zeller looks lost and probably won't be a factor in the Tourney. Frasor probably should only be a defensive-stop/hussle guy at opportune times, not much more than that. I actually think Drew II manages the floor better. UNC did a much better job on D in the ACC tourney actually (much better coming off screens, and played some decent zone to help prevent those open looks outside), but they lost some scoring touch too, including on free throws (a bigger factor than anyone seems to notice) which is one of their big advantages against any team. Gonzaga will be their big test. I think OK is overrated, and UNC has shown vulnerability against playmakers on D, but I think they have shown a little more defensive intelligence this past week or two.

I have Michigan St. going pretty far in my brackets. I think they can beat Kansas and Louisville if all cylinders are firing. I think Missouri looks good too since Memphis is pretty overrated IMO. Connecticut seems the most vulnerable, but they also have a good bracket. Memphis can win in a defensive battle and Mizzou is good if they can make it a shootout.

Last edited by BuonRotto : 2009-03-18 at 10:50.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2009-03-18, 10:47

Just a reminder.

PM me if you want in the AN Bracket challenge.

9 people have already filled out their brackets. Brackets are due by 12 EST tomorrow.
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2009-03-18, 11:18

I have my two favorite teams losing in the first round (Cal and Syracuse). Why? I learned long ago, if I pick them to go far and they lose early, I get doubly pissed: first because they just lost, and second because my bracket suffers. If I pick them to lose early, and they win, then only my bracket suffers, but I'm happier in "real life" because they won. It's like a hedge on my feelings.
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2009-03-18, 11:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran View Post
Just a reminder.

PM me if you want in the AN Bracket challenge.

9 people have already filled out their brackets. Brackets are due by 12 EST tomorrow.
The CBS bracket software likes to list people using their Real Name.

Suggestion for all: go to the Options tab and click on Personal, and change your name to your forum moniker.
¡Damned!

2009-03-18, 11:53

Quote:
Obama has Reggie Love (a former Dookie) on his staff. He's going to pick Duke to go a long way. Of course, Duke seems to have a really hard time making it out of the second round of late, so that'd be a bad pick. Dook, this year, as ever, is overrated.

Obama thinks they're good enough to be the National Champs.
flounder

2009-03-18, 11:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuonRotto View Post
I have Michigan St. going pretty far in my brackets. I think they can beat Kansas and Louisville if all cylinders are firing.
I would be curious to see a MSU v. Kansas rematch. Their first meeting this year, which I attended, was a serious, serious ass-whipping in the first half.

Kansas did play quite a bit better in the second half (Sheron Collins in particular), but sadly the entire second half was marred by Ed "I think people are coming to the game to watch me referee" Hightower and his crew calling a foul on almost every possession.

Durrell Summers needs to get his stroke back.

SKMDC
superkaratemonkeydeathcar

Send a message via AIM to SKMDC  
2009-03-18, 13:06

Hey everyone who used your real name, Sound off as to what your AN name is compared to the name on your bracket, I like to know whose ass I'm kickin.

I remember Sammy Banawan is Torifile, mr. two brackets.

"What's a Canadian farm boy to do?"
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2009-03-18, 13:36

My AN name and my real name are the same, so there should be no issues with that.

- fcgriz is now Wyatt
- Dustin Yonts is Yontsey
-

Last edited by kieran : 2009-03-18 at 13:57.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2009-03-18, 15:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran View Post
My AN name and my real name are the same, so there should be no issues with that.

- fcgriz is now Wyatt
- Dustin Yonts is Yontsey
-
I'm me.
lightning_bug

Send a message via AIM to lightning_bug  
2009-03-18, 18:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maciej View Post
I'm me.
As am I. And if that's not profound, I don't know what is.
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2009-03-18, 19:26

Donald Flint. I'm too lazy to change my name on it.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2009-03-18, 21:52

How do I get in?

I filled out a paper bracket tonight before reading this thread and to my surprise I've got MSU and UNC in the championship game. The matchups just work out for both of them.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2009-03-18, 21:56

I sent you an email to your .mac email that was there from before, let me know if you need one sent to a different email
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2009-03-19, 12:20

Memphis is burning!!!
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2009-03-19, 14:13

woo hoo - I'm 3 for 3 so far!
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2009-03-19, 14:22

Ugh, butler blew it.