User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Can't play tracks from iPhone in iTunes unless sync source?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Can't play tracks from iPhone in iTunes unless sync source?
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2009-04-11, 13:51

I used to do this all the time with my first gen iPod, so this is kind of annoying. Here's the setup:

1) Laptop at home that is backup/sync for iPhone.
2) iPhone set to Manually Manage Music.
3) Laptop at work that has no music on it.

A) Copy music from #1 to iP(od/hone).
B) Plug iP(od/hone) into #3, launch iTunes.
C) Select iP(od/hone), play music off of it.

This isn't working with the iPhone. All tracks are greyed out. I ensured that the host iTunes set up on #1 is set to manually manage music, *not* to sync, but it's a no go on the work laptop.

Color me confused. Is this a feature they dropped, or am I just doing it wrong?
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2009-04-11, 14:00

This is probably not possible for lack of disk mode.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2009-04-11, 14:19

I can see the tracks just fine in iTunes, it obviously knows they're there. It can get to the info. If I tell it to manually manage the iPhone *on the work laptop*, it asks if I want to erase the *(@!# phone and sync it with that laptop - which is obviously not manually managing the music, I might add...

I'm not sure how disk mode would enable this when it already has the information. Disk mode had nothing to do with iTunes music storage on the 1G iPod, after all. I don't see any technical reason why this is failing, so I'm left with either a) new policy, or b) I mis-set something. The latter is totally possible, I'm just trying to find out if *anyone* has been able to do this, or whether it's an arbitrary policy they came up with.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2009-04-11, 14:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post

I can see the tracks just fine in iTunes, it obviously knows they're there. It can get to the info.
That's all in the library DB, though — not in the file system. You're only seeing metadata, not data.

I don't know if disk mode is the reason, or if, instead, they're both features that are lacking on iPhone OS-based devices but there on Pixo-based iPods. But either way, I wouldn't be surprised if it simply hasn't been implemented.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2009-04-11, 15:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
That's all in the library DB, though — not in the file system. You're only seeing metadata, not data.
Which includes the file information. I know, you're probably going to say "Exactly! It can't get to the file!", but disk mode on the old 1G iPod did *not* show the iTunes music files either. Obviously it *can* get to files, if it can back up, add applications, sync music, etc, etc, etc. I can't see where disk mode has jack all to do with this, from a technical POV.

Quote:
I don't know if disk mode is the reason, or if, instead, they're both features that are lacking on iPhone OS-based devices but there on Pixo-based iPods. But either way, I wouldn't be surprised if it simply hasn't been implemented.
That would well and truly blow.

Question stands, I guess... has *anyone* been able to plug a recent iPod or iPhone device into a Mac or Windows machine that is not the sync host, and play music from it through iTunes??

Edit: Well, fuck. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1535

"Note: Even when manually managing, some content may only be available from one library at time. This includes all content on iPhone and video content on iPods."

Time to go bitch up a storm on the Feedback page...

Last edited by Kickaha : 2009-04-11 at 15:14.