• M2 processor, up to 24GB RAM, up to 2TB SSD
  • Liquid Retina Display with 500 nits and P3 wide color
  • "studio quality mics"
  • Magic Keyboard and Touch Bar
  • 20 hours battery life
  • price: $1399

Shipping next month.

"A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my anger!" - Darth Baras
twitter ; amateur photographer ; fanfiction writer ; roleplayer and worldbuilder
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2022-06-06, 13:28

Any perf claims yet?
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2022-06-06, 14:01

Comparison

This is only a spec bump (again).

Faster GPU (not surprising; see A15), higher RAM ceiling, 50% faster memory bandwidth (LPDDR5 instead of 4X? Maybe it only applies to the 24 GB config, in which case it's three chips instead of two), more hardware video codec stuff (see M1 Pro and A15), same display, same measurements, same camera, spatial audio support added, better headphone jack.

Minor but perfectly fine update, a year and a half in.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-06-06, 14:49

The screen time for this was almost an after thought. I mean, just a spec bum makes sense. Glad I'm not in the market for an upgrade right now. I do think it would have made sense to drop the "Pro" moniker but that is a whole other thing.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2022-06-06, 21:16

How does this measure up against the M2 MB Air?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-06-06, 21:27

That side-by-side comparison tool/feature at Apple.com lays it all out nicely.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2022-06-07, 02:17

They seem awfully similar.
chucker

2022-06-07, 03:13

Yep. In many ways (e.g., speakers) the Air is now better, because it has newer stuff. The Pro is just another spec bump.

(edit)

So why buy the Pro over the Air at all? Fans are why. If you need sustained performance, it'll do better than the Air. Most people don't need that.

Last edited by chucker : 2022-06-07 at 04:50.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-06-07, 03:16

Yeah, it’s an odd, somewhat-confusing scenario. They apparently love that $1,299 model with the Touch Bar, and insist on naming it incorrectly. Who knows anymore…

It seems to be the basis/result of a lost bet within Apple.
chucker

2022-06-07, 03:43

"We don't want the Pro to start at $2k but also we want the $2k one to seem like a big upgrade so, uh, ideas, anyone?"
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-06-07, 03:47

Pretty much. Kinda silly if so. Words mean things, Apple. You’ve been actively fighting that for several years now.

PS - Insomnia is a complete bastard-and-a-half.
chucker

2022-06-07, 03:59

Slapping your head with the all new MacBook Air with Retina Display will knock you right out.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2022-06-07, 09:10

Not much separates them on paper. I'm wondering about the screen, is there a real visual difference between what Apple calls "Liquid Retina" on the MBA vs Retina on the MBP13". MBA supports billions of colors (so 10 bit or probably 8bit+FRC) and the MBP supports millions (so 8 bit), both 500 nits, both DCI-P3 gamut, both support one 6K external display... That leaves the fans. I'm curious how much difference that makes in sustained tasks? The rest seem somewhat minor differences. A few grams, a few millimeters and a few minutes real world battery?

I'm slightly disappointed not to see some degree of water resistance yet on the MBA. If they can do away with fans, it should be possible to engineer some degree of moisture resistance to the venting circuit (like heat piping that conducts heat to a port that is otherwise sealed from fluid ingress, and some sort of membrane/gasket system at the keyboard/hinge/ports...

I can get a reasonably weather sealed camera and a water resistant phone. It's time to make a laptop that will survive a medium coffee being spilled over it ?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-06-07, 09:20

I think the fan may be the biggest real-life difference. And that might not even be a big issue, I don’t know. Processors being the same and all, the 13” Pro would have to fare a little better in some areas - constant workload - than the Air, right?

I’m pretty sure I’d be fine with an Air, just light vector graphics, writing and surfing being the three main things I do anymore. I’m not pushing pixels or video to any real degree these days. I probably wouldn’t have bought an Air 7-8 (or even 2-3) years ago. But I would today, absolutely. I know it’s more than enough for my needs.

If $1,500 fell in my lap and I was told to buy whichever of the two I wanted, I’d get the Air (bumped to 16GB RAM) and call it a day. Maybe go buy groceries and/or gas with the leftover $100 before either goes any higher?

But, yeah…Air, hands down, for me.

I bet the difference between the two amount to very little, real world. Which makes the continued existence of that 13” Pro even weirder and more “why?”

I have to believe an M2 Air, upgraded to 16-24GB RAM and whatever storage makes sense for the owner, is going to well serve anyone in that sub-$2,000space. And, if not, Apple has a boatload of offerings and options starting at $1,999 if no-compromise performance is the most important thing to someone.

But the Air is going to more than handle things for the majority of users.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2022-06-07 at 09:36.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2022-06-07, 09:51

The Air would seem to be the perfect notebook for over 95% of people. It's basically an iPad Pro with an attached keyboard in terms of performance and the iPad Pro is phenomenally overpowered.

Even updating to the top of the line specs gets it to ~$2400, which is still not bad for a high end ultra light computer.

I have the original M1 13" MBP and the biggest benefit is the battery life improvement, but the M2 Air negates that entirely.

All that being said, this computer should have just been called MacBook, unless they have a replacement for the 12" MacBook in the works.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
chucker

2022-06-07, 10:02

I’m still hopeful once iPhones move to Apple modems, the next Air gets cellular.

I think that’ll happen before water protection.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-06-07, 10:06

I noticed they kept the M1 MacBook Air around, but I was surprised they didn't lower the price a skootch, being 18+ months old and all? It's a great computer for $999, but I bet it would've flown off shelves at $899. That's a tough thing to ask folks, to pay original, full price for something that's going to be two-years-old in a few more months. That kinda surprised me they didn't discount the older M1 Air by $50-100.

Then again, it's Apple. They don't leave $$$ on the table; there's a reason they're sitting on eleventy-gazillion bazillion dollars.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-06-07, 10:53

I've been out of town all weekend and missed the keynote. But, I'm getting updated.

IMHO, the 13" Pro is still the "no-man's land" computer in the lineup. Still no reason for it to exist. It got a processor upgrade.

Thing is, the new Air is also stepping into that no-man's land price point as well. The M1 Air is still a thing at $999, wo I'm trying to figure out why a customer needs either of these things.

Oh, I know, they're new and shiny!

The Airs will sell well, and the 13" Pro will continue to be a dud in our shop. No compelling reason to buy that thing.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
chucker

2022-06-07, 11:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmith2.0 View Post
I bet it would've flown off shelves at $899.
Keep in mind

1) the Mac business is stronger than ever. They have no reason to lower prices

2) they’re having massive supply issues. In fact, Cook said they literally left billions of revenue on the table last quarter because they couldn’t supply. Lowering prices thus wouldn’t increase units
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-06-07, 12:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post

The Airs will sell well, and the 13" Pro will continue to be a dud in our shop. No compelling reason to buy that thing.
The 13" Pro is simple for those that feel the need sustain high CPU usage and want active cooling without shelling out for a larger Pro. Oh and TouchBar. Don't laugh, Mrs T wanted one with TB.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
chucker

2022-06-07, 14:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
The 13" Pro is simple for those that feel the need sustain high CPU usage and want active cooling without shelling out for a larger Pro. Oh and TouchBar. Don't laugh, Mrs T wanted one with TB.
TB aside, it's just not that great a deal.

If you have Pro workflows like that, you probably want at least 16 GB RAM. Then you're at $1500. The 14 also includes a 512 GB SSD, not 256. You probably want that as well. Then you're at $1699. $300 buys you a much nicer display and sound system, a CPU more tuned towards perf workflows, and lots of little things such as MagSafe, a third Thunderbolt port, HDMI, an SD card slot, …. Plus, of course, the option for higher specs — more CPU cores, more RAM.

Kind of a slim market segment.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-06-07, 14:36

Either you need the power or you don't. The 13" Pro satisfies neither option.

As far as the Touch Bar is concerned, I fail to see the point any longer. While I still think the tech is fun and has lots of potential, the software industry just hasn't shown any compelling interest, and so it is waning. And who wants to invest a ton of money into a vanishing technology? Yet, that's what you're paying the extra $200 for. That, and a fan. If you need a fan, though, you're buying the wrong computer. Which really does bring it all back to the Touch Bar, and it's just not worth $200, IMO.

Get an Air (M1) or get a 14" Pro.

Or, if you like shiny and new, get the new 2022 Air. All of its bits are worth $200 over the M1 version, and it's well worth saving $200 over the 13" MBP.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-06-07, 14:49

Don't worry, I'm actually with you all. I just know what I had to deal with when helping Mrs T get her new computer.

Don't ask me how often she uses the TB either.

Of course, the 14" Pro wasn't around yet when I got her the new MBP. Though really, she could have EASILY gone with an Air. That TB though....

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-06-16, 10:33

Ouch!

13-Inch MacBook Pro With M2 Chip Outperforms Base Model Mac Pro Despite Costing Nearly $5,000 Less

I realize it's (probably) not an across-the-board/in-every-way thing, but just the mere fact that A $1,299 notebook holds its own against such a big, expensive "pro" tower is a hoot, regardless.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-06-16, 11:04

"Apple isn't just gonna walk on in here and make a better phone!"
Matsu
Veteran Member

2022-06-16, 11:36

Isn’t that something? Relatively entry level machines are starting be really quite capable. Just look at what a phone and tablet can do. Of course a lot depends on tight software integration, but it’s still impressive how far photo/video editing/processing has come. The other day I had to get a new remote and so I dropped into the local best buy. I had a look at the Apple section and thought - how long before a nice iPad is a legit entry level laptop replacement option? The keyboard stand thingy seems pretty good, I can get a decent sized screen, battery life is good, price can get a little eye watering, but…. Seems only software and OS capabilities are holding it back from such duties…
Frank777
Veteran Member

2022-06-16, 17:39

The strange thing about comparing the Pro mobile and desktop Mac lines is how far away they are in price and usage.

The MacBook Pro line is used by multitudes of Mac users.
It's more expensive than the Air, but plenty of users gladly pay the premium. It's a mainstream machine, albeit a pricey one.

The Mac Pro resides up in the stratosphere, where mere mortals cannot enter. I know of no-one in real life who has a current model (2019) Mac Pro. And I do know a few musicians and sound engineers and video production people. I've seen the iMac Pro and the (2013) Trash Can in offices, but never a current model Mac Pro.

I'd thought Apple was going to use the era of Apple Silicon to bring the Mac Pro down to earth just a bit.
But the introduction of the Studio would seem to make that unlikely.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-06-16, 18:24

I think the AS Mac Pro won’t drop in price/accessibility one bit. If anything, it’ll go up. It’ll be even more “for those people”.

In my mind, the Mac Studio is more what the Mac Pro (and Power Mac) were. Sub-$3,000 Macs “for everyone”.

To me it’s a naming/positioning thing…flip flop it around: call the Mac Studio “Mac Pro”, and the $5,999+ Mac Pro “Mac Studio” (or some other word that evokes “special, targeted niche performance for that sliver of customers who have no qualms about dropping $8,000+ on a new rig every few years”.

The 14” and 16” notebooks and that new Mac Studio, with all its BTO options, is more than enough for just about every print, imaging and design “pro” out there. If you’re doing the heavy, serious modeling, animation, 3D, video and things like that, you’re almost something beyond “pro”.

The Pro notebooks and that new Mac studio should be seen as a "pro" desktop/notebook pairing, both inhabiting that $2,000-4,000 space. And then the big, pricey tower existing in its own universe for those who truly need it (face it, most don't).

Apple names their stuff weird/wrong, IMO.