User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Feedback »

"Similar Threads" feature

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
"Similar Threads" feature
Bones3D

2004-07-06, 22:11

I just noticed it on the bottom of the page in various threads. Interesting feature to encourage discussion.

It does seem like there could be room for improvement with it's code though. Right now, it seems to be keyword based and runs much like a standard search function. Which does a pretty good job if you limit discussions to a set range of topics, but le'ts say someone starts a thread about "Power Macs" while another starts a thread about "Power Outages in California". The two will refer each other even though they are really unrelated outside of key words.

One idea might be to modify the code to work on a more context-specific level. A lot of forum search engines build a search database as new posts are made. If the "similar threads" feature compared the search database entries from one thread with the entries of other threads, perhaps it could recommend threads with the most matching words.

So now, if there was the "Power Macs" thread and "Power Outages in California", it's unlikely the two would refer each other since the entry comparisons would rank very low.

It may even be possible to dedicate a secondary search engine/search database specific to comparing threads so the results wouldn't need to tie up the CPU any more than the current "similar threads" feature does now.

8==8 Bones 8==8
LoCash
Rest In Peace

2004-07-06, 22:29

There's actually some ways of customizing it within vBulletin. I didn't get a chance to take a look at how it ranks and scores things, but it had at least a dozen variables to allow you to tweak how it matches similar threads. I just turned it on the other night to see if it worked. Maybe next week I can get around to looking into the variables that customize it.

I absolutely don't write code like this though, so I wouldn't even know where to begin to modify the way vB does it.

It is with great regret that we say our farewells to Jack, who passed away on May 28th, 2005. Jack, you will be missed by all

Superior thinking has always overwhelmed superior force. - Marine Corps Officers

"You don't lead by hitting people over the head-that's assault, not leadership." - General Eisenhower
thegelding
feeling my oats

Send a message via AIM to thegelding  
2004-07-06, 22:32

bones...off topic...how are things going setting up your new server?

g
Bones3D

2004-07-06, 22:59

Well, its still in the process of being brought online, the new domain should be active tommorrow assuming everything goes as planned.
Xidius

2004-07-07, 01:21

Hey there Bones.

- Xidius
Hes Nikke

2004-07-07, 01:29

hey bones

what is the new domain name going to be?
PowerBook

2004-07-07, 10:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xidius
Hey there Bones.

- Xidius
Wow, I never thought I'd see that name again!

tallslacker

2004-07-07, 11:05

Looks like that Xidius person doesn't know when to give up and doesn't have a life
Paul
Veteran Member

2004-07-07, 12:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallslacker
Looks like that Xidius person doesn't know when to give up and doesn't have a life
meh, Tallslacker, Xidius was (is) a member of the AI.com message board and probably has been lurking over here since OUR split, so any spat you have with her is probably just coincidence and why she said hi...

1215/234215 (top .51875%)
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one business model. -EvilTwinSkippy (/.)
Xidius

2004-07-07, 17:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallslacker
Give up on what? Do you even know what you are talking about?

- Xidius
LoCash
Rest In Peace

2004-07-07, 19:06

Ok, ladies, if there's going to be an argument let's keep it out of the threads and over PM

kthxbye