User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

You'll need to unlock your iPhone first...

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
You'll need to unlock your iPhone first...
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-11-18, 09:23

With my old phone I could ask Siri to check my text messages while my hands were full.

Now she tells me "You'll need to unlock your iPhone first".

This is apparently a bug, as documented over on AppleInsider.

Has anybody run into this and if so, do you have any workarounds?

I'm tired of saying "fuck you" to Siri.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-11-18, 09:47

I have no help on the main topic, but it would be funny if Siri had a built-in Abuse-O-Meter, and after, say, 50-100 times of being sworn at, called names, etc, she shut down and bricked the phone.

“I’ve asked you nicely, 99 times before, to please not speak to me that way. I told you there would be consequences…did you not believe me? No, Drew…fuck you, and have a nice day. This iPhone will be rendered inoperable in 5…4…3…”

Anyone wanna test that?
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-11-18, 10:00

If this existed my phone would be a smoldering pile of ash by now. I have had full on screaming fits with Siri during traffic because the engineers' bosses have such a flipping limited scope of building any extensibility into the app.

It isn't nimble.

It isn't flexible.

The only people I would allow on the Siri team are folks who use the app daily to do things without looking at their screens.

All of the jokey Easter egg shit would be the last thing they were allowed to mess with.

Vote for me as your new Siri visionary.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-11-18, 10:13

You got it.

Yeah, it does seem to come up short sometimes. I use it primarily to ask the time and to set a timer when cooking (so I don't forget and leave something on the stove for 13 hours and burn the house down). I don't want to overload it by asking sports scores, weather or to read my texts. I don't want to push the envelope too hard.

The best thing about it is that I put the voice on Australian female, just so I can pretend it's Cate Blanchett telling me these things.

"Yes, Paul...I am quite fond of you."
¡Damned!

2021-11-18, 10:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
I'm tired of saying "fuck you" to Siri.
You need to change the Siri voice. Stock voiced Siri is a pushover, and it kinda feels easy to be a little gruff with her. I've set her to Irish and now she sounds like a dom I used to know, so when she tells you "You'll need to unlock your iPhone first" you fucking unlock your iPhone first.

Edit: Mr. Smith has the same idea, but with a different effect.

So it goes.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-11-18, 10:38

I have a friend who has hers set to a British male because she wants to imagine it's Clive Owen.

Hey, it takes all kinds.

This damn pandemic has made (lonely) weirdos of us all! Poor Siri gets pulled into roleplaying now.

Sure enough, I wonder if, down the line, they'll have - in addition to gender, accent, etc. - different "personality" settings for Siri? If you wanted a slightly aggressive, caustic tone who occasionally mocked your question ("It's 4:17pm, okay? Too lazy to look at a wall clock, prick?"), etc. Because I know some people who'd pay $9.99 for that. Monthly.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-11-18, 12:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmith2.0 View Post

I have a friend who has hers set to a British male because she wants to imagine it's Clive Owen.
Does she put it on vibrate mode and keep it in her pocket?

Wait, you guys use Siri?

Morons.

I gave up on that skank the moment it refused to answer the phone.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-11-18, 12:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
Does she put it on vibrate mode and keep it in her pocket?
That I don't know.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-11-18, 12:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
I gave up on that skank the moment it refused to answer the phone.
Funny thing, answering yourself.

If I put the phone in my truck mount and disconnect it from Bluetooth and the phone rings, I say "Hey Siri, answer the phone!" I get … nothing! Because security!

BUT!

If I turn on Bluetooth and connect the phone to my truck's audio system and the phone rings, I can say "Answer phone" and the truck's audio system picks it right up, because security!

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-11-18, 14:26

What about enabling Siri when locked? Wouldn't that help with this? I don't use Siri on my phone enough to have noticed. I more get her telling me she is incompetent while I'm driving and that she can't do that in the car.

I also set my voice to the Irish female. In fact, my HomePods are set to that too.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-11-18, 14:37

I have that turned on, but it doesn't work when I ask her to check for messages. It's peculiar. I do think it's a bug, either in programming or the approach to the way the technology works...

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-11-18, 14:55

Yeah, when stuff contradicts itself in such weird ways, I always assume "okay, someone didn't code that right and it's a known thing...there's an update around the corner, surely."

It's weird, with all the pre-release testing these things go through, that such basic "huh?!" stuff still manages to squeak into the final release.

I guess that's just how this stuff is (I know nothing about coding, software development, etc.). I'm just a stupid end-user.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2021-11-18, 16:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmith2.0 View Post
I have no help on the main topic, but it would be funny if Siri had a built-in Abuse-O-Meter, and after, say, 50-100 times of being sworn at, called names, etc, she shut down and bricked the phone.

“I’ve asked you nicely, 99 times before, to please not speak to me that way. I told you there would be consequences…did you not believe me? No, Drew…fuck you, and have a nice day. This iPhone will be rendered inoperable in 5…4…3…”

Anyone wanna test that?
In all seriousness, they should track this stuff, and refer the most egregious cases to engineering to examine what the failure really was.