SSL expiring soon... again...

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
SSL expiring soon... again...
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-08-11, 10:34

Code:
Check SSL (forums.applenova.com) (Zabbix server:system.run[/etc/zabbix/externalscripts/checkssl.sh forums.applenova.com]): 15
So I have a script running that feeds my zabbix monitoring to let me know when the cert is going to expire since LE seems to have stopped emailing us for these dates approaching.

Code:
# cat /etc/zabbix/externalscripts/checkssl.sh #!/bin/bash data=`echo | openssl s_client -servername $1 -connect $1:443 2>/dev/null | openssl x509 -noout -enddate | sed -e 's#notAfter=##'` ssldate=`date -d "${data}" '+%s'` nowdate=`date '+%s'` diff="$((${ssldate}-${nowdate}))" echo $((${diff}/86400))
If you want to make this something that just emails you from your server you can instead use this one:
Code:
$ cat testemail.sh #################### #!/bin/bash # # Check certs and email when renewal needed # data=`echo | openssl s_client -servername $1 -connect $1:443 2>/dev/null | openssl x509 -noout -enddate | sed -e 's#notAfter=##'` ssldate=`date -j -f "%b %d %T %Y %Z" "${data}" '+%s'` nowdate=`date '+%s'` diff="$((${ssldate}-${nowdate}))" daysleft=$((${diff}/86400)) #echo $daysleft echo "$1 SSL Certificate expires in $daysleft! Take action to renew it now!" | mail -s "URGENT: $1 SSL Certificate expiring soon" brad@bradsdomain.com

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-08-11, 10:40

Of course, if I weren't running this through the monitoring server I would have to if/then to not email under 15 days.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2023-11-21, 12:06

Well it's SSL season or something again... I wish I could go to school on this stuff but GADS is it complicated.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-11-21, 13:20

SSLs aren't bad really. It does depend on your host as to how "easy" it is though. If your host uses cPanel, it will do all of the SSLs for you automatically for free. If it is something like this server then it is a script at this point.

Something like acme.sh is the "easy button" for SSLs and Lets Encrypt nowadays.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2023-11-21, 15:27

It's running LE, so I imagine there is (supposed to be) an auto-refresh; it just didn't fire for some reason.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-11-21, 15:29

Brad specifically doesn't allow auto-renewal on AN's SSL. He has said it is his deadman's switch. We know he died if the SSL expires.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2023-11-21, 19:20

I replied to this thread earlier today because Safari threw up a warning page when I came here.