AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Cloning and Backing up

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Cloning and Backing up
_Ω_
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to _Ω_  
2004-09-08, 02:00

I am currently in a tidying up phase and wanting to strip all the unnecessary files/apps from my laptop.

I have a 667 TiBook with a 60GB HD (with 24 GB currently available) and a 250GB Lacie FW drive with 2 partitions. Both partitions are currently a direct clone of the laptop, though this was always going to be a temporary set-up.

What I want is one partition that is a direct reflection of my laptop, which is not a problem, and the other partition to be dumping ground so to speak. I want an app that will look for new files on my laptop and transfer them to this dumping ground. From my understanding a lot of the backup apps will delete files from the destination so it reflects the source.

Currently I have been using SilverKeeper from Lacie and I have had a quick look at the CCC forums.

Ideas???

Angels bleed from the tainted touch of my caress
staph
Microbial member

Send a message via AIM to staph  
2004-09-08, 02:57

Retrospect supports incremental non-destructive backups, although it's kind of pricey, has a truly annoying GUI, and seems to break in ever more interesting ways with every major OS update (which they'll charge you for the fix for…)

It's generally pretty reliable tho'. Generally.
sunrain
Veteran Member

2004-09-08, 03:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by staph
Retrospect supports incremental non-destructive backups, although it's kind of pricey, has a truly annoying GUI, and seems to break in ever more interesting ways with every major OS update (which they'll charge you for the fix for…)

It's generally pretty reliable tho'. Generally.
Damn, what a glowing review.
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2004-09-08, 03:33

Yeah with a review like that I would just forget software and just write down all the stuff that is important to you with a pencil and pad!

That's what I do once a month anyway! Sod Carbon Copy Cloner!

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
staph
Microbial member

Send a message via AIM to staph  
2004-09-08, 06:49

I must admit that I am a little biassed. It generally is an OK piece of software if you're willing to live with the occasional… eccentricity.

There are other options, by the way, I've just never used them. Tri-backup springs to mind as one which seemed nice on trying it out for a few days a while ago… With a bit of work, rsync should work pretty well, or even tar for that matter.
_Ω_
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to _Ω_  
2004-09-08, 08:21

I should have added, something real easy to use as well - point and click!

I have been thinking about the manual way of copying files across, by setting up a junk folder on laptop that I can transfer over when need be......

Thank for all replies so far (and staph, I hope you are not planning on being a salesman!! )

Angels bleed from the tainted touch of my caress
usurp
High Monarch of MacDebate

2004-09-08, 08:22

Yeah i use Retrospect with my exabyte VXA-1 and i love it. But like staph said the GUI is not very friendly and the way u set things up and stuff is really confusing.

Once u have things set up though its really does the job right.

portable: MacBook 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM, 250GB HD | personal: PowerMac G5 dual 2.3ghz, 6GB RAM, 6TB HD | work: MacBook Pro 2.5ghz, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD | car: Alpine iDA-W407 with black iPod 80GB | pocket: iPhone 3GS with Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 Pro's