User Name
Password

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iPhone 13
Page 5 of 7 Previous 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7  Next Thread Tools
Ryan
Veteran Member

2021-10-04, 22:15

It IS fucking confusing trying to parse it all. Doesn't help that Verizon's got just about the buggiest website on the planet. Probably took me an hour to get my order placed.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-10-04, 22:27

At least the carriers are offering ways to get into a good flagship phone pretty easy.

Those red ones are sharp.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-10-05, 00:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmith2.0 View Post
Ah. I understand nothing beyond the “red” and “512GB”.

Yeah, nothing to see here anyway.

Mansplation:

Me get new phone.

It red, hold many pictures.

Cost money.

Ugh.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-10-05, 05:30

Was looking at my original 2007 iPhone last night…4GB.

512GB is awesome. I’d be filming stuff constantly.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-10-05, 05:53

Quote:
Was looking at my original 2007 iPhone last night…4GB.

512GB is awesome. I’d be filming stuff constantly.
And amusingly, they discontinued the 4GB model after two months. Kind of a weird launch, in retrospect.

(The camera was also awful, even for its time. Can you imagine not having video at all?)
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-10-05, 06:54

I was in that earliest launch cluster, among the first batch of people to have an iPhone in Chattanooga…remember, upon launch in June 2007 it was Cingular (AT&T) only. I got stopped/asked about it constantly…grocery store, restaurants, pub, etc. if I had it out and using it.

It wasn’t the “everybody has one” thing it came to be, so that first year or two you were treated like Bigfoot piloting a UFO if someone saw you with one. And if you saw another person with one, you’d just do this smiling nod thing like “hey, nice phone!”

I lost count of how many random strangers would come up to me…”is that one of those iPhones?”, “that’s the Apple phone, isn’t it?”, etc.

Back then, we didn’t know what we didn’t have (storage, video, third-party apps, etc.). Even that lowly 4GB model I got in mid-July felt like The Future compared to anything else out there then.

Good, fun times, being in on the “ground floor” of such a thing.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-10-05, 07:29

Quote:
Even that lowly 4GB model I got in mid-July felt like The Future compared to anything else out there then.
It was!

There were some people who really didn't get it. Like (random family member) who would tell me that it doesn't even have a hardware keyboard, so it won't succeed in business. That take didn't age well.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2021-10-05, 07:31

Gosh I remember thinking, who the heck needs that (an iPhone) when they came out. I though it was cool, but not something I’d need. I even remember saying here that I’d never get an iPhone. I didn’t join the gravy train till the 4 came out. Now I’m on my fourth one. Number 5 next year, maybe.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-10-05, 07:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
It was!

There were some people who really didn't get it. Like (random family member) who would tell me that it doesn't even have a hardware keyboard, so it won't succeed in business. That take didn't age well.
I remember nearly every Dvorak, Enderle, Ballmer, etc. iPhone-related comment/assessment from 2007-2008. They’ve all been proven wrong/full of shit many times over.

Why anyone would put stock in anything they say/write after repeatedly missing the mark (and then arrogantly doubling-down on their terminal oblivitardation) is beyond me.

Hacky old dinosaurs who probably still wet their sheets over MS-DOS.
chucker

2021-10-05, 08:28

At least Ballmer had a business reason to be this wrong. If he was right, he'd win, and if he was wrong, it would buy him time. (Which he ultimately didn't have enough of.)
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-10-05, 09:00

I actually didn't like the iPhone when it first came out. I loved my AT&T Tilt 2 and had no intention of leaving the physical keyboard and stylus. Obviously times have changed and I have too, though I still have my Tilt 2 just in case I ever need it. Shockingly, I have Mrs T's original iPhone. It has seen better days though...
This is it compared to the 13 mini I just got:

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
chucker

2021-10-05, 09:01

Dang, that red mini looks hot.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-10-05, 09:03

It is everything I dreamed it would be* in real life. The pictures don't do it justice.

* Other than the lack of the telephoto lens.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-10-05, 09:10

Pics at Apple’s site of the red one have never done anything for me, but my stepmom’s red SE looks so nice. Pics/renderings can’t seem to capture the exact shade and the sheen. They do look great in real life.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-10-05, 09:24

Here are a few more... because.

Also, what is the plastic plug for below the sleep/Siri button?

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-10-05, 09:32

Is it where the SIM thing goes? Looks large, but it’s my only guess. But I don’t see a hole to insert a tool/paper clip. Isvv can it spring-fitted? What happens if you push it…does it pop out?

EDIT: Oops…I see the SIM tray is on the left side of these phones, below the mute/volume buttons. They’ve always been on the right side of every phone I’ve owned. I have no idea what that hotdog-shaped plug is.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-10-05 at 10:04.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-10-05, 09:35

SIM is on the other side with the volume buttons. It is almost like it is for an antenna but that seems odd with glass front and back.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-10-05, 10:03

Its a 5G antenna “window”, for better reception.

These guys are talking about the iPhone 12 above, but it would be the same for the 13.

Now I can sleep tonight.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-10-05, 10:34

If you clip wires to a Pringles can and connect them to a 9-volt battery and place that battery next to the "5G port" you are a very strange person.

chucker

2021-10-05, 10:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
SIM is on the other side with the volume buttons. It is almost like it is for an antenna but that seems odd with glass front and back.
Quote:
Yep. Which, even with the 13, is a US-only feature.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-10-05, 10:56

I can't even imagine trying to make something like an iPhone (and its accompanying OS) for all the languages, regions, carriers, etc. on the planet. And making those little concessions/allowances for this or that tech in this or that country/region all while maintaining a single, unified design/dimensions...damn, it's quite impressive when you think of all the bases they have to cover/boxes they have to check to put these things in every corner of the planet, and have them looking/working the same everywhere. To my knowledge, the Russian version isn't .2" wider than the U.S., and the Australian model isn't .117" taller than the Chilean models which themselves are...

(if they are, that's news to me)

And if you go to the Technical Specifications page and scroll down to the both the Cellular/Wireless and Language Support (language, keyboards, dictation, Siri, spell check, Apple Pay, etc.) sections, your head will explode!

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-10-05 at 11:06.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-10-05, 19:17

I am now trying to decide between Apple Care and the AT&T insurance policies. Anybody got an opinion? I always buy it because it ALWAYS comes in handy, eventually.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-10-06, 06:57

Follow-up.

I used the Google and learned that the company that AT&T uses isn't really as good as Apple.

So I'll go with AppleCare.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-10-06, 09:15

The two times I’ve had AppleCare, it’s really come through when needed and was simple, solid and done well. I felt like I was done right and it wasn’t a hassle. I took the product in to a local Apple authorized service/repair provider and things were fixed in a timely, efficient manner. I think AppleCare has a good reputation for what it is.

I didn’t respond to your original question because I’ve never used AT&T’s protection/insurance. I have been with them since June 2004, and have had good phone service/experience with them, minus a couple of snags/hassles. But that’s not bad over a 17* year stretch.

My only real beef with AT&T is how hard is is in recent years to get a human on the phone (but that’s probably true of any big company anymore). I’d just hate to marry that with a repair/warranty issue. I could see that getting frustrating really quick.

You made the right choice, IMO.

FWIW, I rarely get AppleCare because I keep stuff so long. If I were a three-year cycle kinda guy, I probably would, but for 20+ years now I’ve kept my various Macs, iPods and iPhones WAY past the point any reasonable person does, presfering to let them die a natural death. The weird/funny part? The only two times I needed AppleCare were the two times I bought it. I felt like maybe I jinxed myself doing so.

PS - I’ve never had AppleCare on any iPhone I’ve owned (a total of four since 2007).

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-10-06 at 09:27.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2021-10-06, 09:19

I just buy the phone on my Amex which comes with $800 in cell phone protection. Reports are they pay out reliably.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-10-06, 17:48

The new red phone is in my hand now and I literally don't know what to do next.

I'm looking back and forth between my old phone and new phone.

Ho boy.

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2021-10-06, 18:46

Get some photos of them lightning port to lightning port. That will get people excited.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-10-06, 18:47

Got my 13 Mini today. Haven't activated it yet, but gonna do that tonight. It's very blue.

Very blue.

I love the size, and I love the way it fits in my pocket and in my hand. Looking forward to getting everything transferred over and putting it to use.

I'm looking at this thing and thinking, "This was FREE?"

I guess data plans are profitable enough that such deals can be had. Glad my wife sorted it out when she did. I was planning on ordering direct from Apple, and the phone would have been $700. Instead, on our plan if I send AT&T my X then the Mini is $0, and if I keep the X it's $350. Since my X is worth about $300, it makes sense to just give it to them in exchange for a brand new thing and not have the hassle of selling.

Our unlimited phone plan has a 50% discount on a new phone every 3 years, and gives most of the remainder for trade-in. Helluva deal.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
¡Damned!

2021-10-06, 19:36

Mang it feels like this go around a lot of the crew here are getting new kit and I could not be more thrilled.

Your saga has to continue Drew, somehow. I feel like you've been inquiring about new phones longer than I've been dreaming of a new iPad mini.

So it goes.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-10-06, 19:57

It does indeed seem like a lot of folks here got an iPhone 13 of some sort.

I’ve pretty much decided an SE is my Christmas present to myself (early or otherwise). I think five-and-a-half years on one phone is plenty.

I always buy from AT&T, walk into the store and buy it outright. Do you think it’s worth asking if they have any deals on an SE 2? Damn thing is a year-and-a-half old, after all. What if I could get it for something less than $399? I should probably drive out there and ask in the coming weeks. Not looking to change anything plan-wise, I’d just like a new SE at the cheapest, paid-upfront-with-cash price they’ll do.