User Name
Password

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Apple and Tesla
Page 2 of 2 Previous 1 [2]  Thread Tools
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2019-07-24, 16:28

Typeset that "T" in Helvetica San Francisco, of course.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2019-07-24, 16:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
Tesla’s logo is the ugliest thing on the car. It (and the logotype that goes with it) is trying way too hard to be futuristic and sci-fi, like a teenager’s vision of what looks “badass” rather than something that inspires confidence in its design or engineering. It’s maaaybe fine for a concept car startup, but electric cars are fast becoming the present, and Tesla is outgrowing it.
OK, I can sort of buy the "outgrowing it" argument, but for the first decade and a half of its existence, Tesla was arguably the harbinger of the future of cars. So it may be dorky, but it also fits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
I think Apple would redraw the “T” icon to something simpler and sturdier, and then ditch the dated-looking sci-fi movie logotype for something more modern.
Possibly.

(I don't think they'll buy Apple in the first place. )
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2019-07-24, 17:11

I think it’s a little amusing that as we’ve been having this conversation, Tesla announced a quarterly loss that was far greater than expectations, and their stock plummeted.

I’m pulling for Tesla, I really am, but I don’t have as much confidence in their future as I did a few years ago. I’m not sure I’d buy a Tesla, right now, even if it was technically superior to an EQC or iX3. They’re making moves that seem increasingly erratic, like finally introducing the long-promised $35K Model 3 and then immediately canning it. Musk went on the record as saying that Tesla was “weeks” from bankruptcy as recently as a year ago, a time when he was telling people everything was okay, which doesn’t inspire confidence when he’s telling everyone everything is okay now. They seem over-extended.

What is their plan for passenger cars, beyond “S3XY”? When is the Model S going to be redesigned? It’s been out for nearly a decade, now, and yet that doesn’t seem to even be on Tesla’s horizon yet. They’re making a new Roadster, a pickup, a semi…

I’ve heard a few too many horror stories from Tesla owners who love their cars but have everything fall apart the moment they need service or repair or really anything at all from Tesla the company. I’m beginning to agree with the idea that it’s time for “grownups” to run the show.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-07-24, 17:38

If Apple does decide to buy them, it will be wise to wait for the stock to tank, but not so wise to wait for the cars to follow suit. Public opinion matters, and right now Tesla is winning most of that war. However, if public opinion begins to slide, Apple won't go near the joint, even for the manufacturing, people, and patents.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2019-07-24, 17:53

I feel like one of the people at Apple who would not be in favor of buying Tesla is Jony Ive, and he’s leaving.

It seems like after Apple Watch Jony was already halfway out the door and he was really primarily involved in two things that interested him: the car and Apple Park. But it seems like he was fairly unwilling to make the compromises in the car necessary to turn it into a shipping product (he didn’t want it to have a steering wheel, for example), and so that project kind of stalled. And he finished Apple Park, so he left.

Buying Tesla isn’t a Jony Ive move at all, but – and I mean this in a good way – I think it is a Tim Cook move. And a Jeff Williams move. It’s pragmatic.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-07-25, 13:18

Each time I think about this subject, I keep coming back to the same conclusion:

If Apple does buy Tesla I will not hang my head in shame, but recognize that it could be good for both companies—in the long run.

Or,

If Apple does not buy Tesla, it may or may not be bad for Tesla, but it will definitely not hurt Apple.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
huntch
BANNED
I am a filthy spammer.

2019-08-06, 02:49

I believe that Tesla cars have been on the market long enough to prove their great response with users. I am planning to buy me one of those. I have seen a great ad at [spam link deleted - KS] Tesla. It’s fully equipped and ready for my vacation with family.

We have no use for spammers. Go bother someone else!

~ K

Last edited by kscherer : 2019-08-06 at 13:26.