AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Fitness Test - DONE!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Fitness Test - DONE!
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2006-08-28, 11:01

I got a 276/300 on the test. 3 miles in 18:46, 15 out of 20 pull ups, and 100/100 on the sit ups...hells yeah!!!
hiltond

Send a message via AIM to hiltond  
2006-08-28, 11:05

Well done Messiahtosh. You really are in excellent condition.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-08-28, 11:09

Cool. That's better than I could do.
AWR
Veteran Member

2006-08-28, 11:13

That's barely better than I could do, and I'm more than twice your age, ffs. Pick up your game.

(Must be those Nike's you and WLP insist on wearing.)

Nice job, really.
thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2006-08-28, 11:18

Nice one. I think my days of doing that kind of thing are well and truly over.
murbot
Hoonigan

2006-08-28, 11:20

Good work, man. I can match you in sit-ups and beat you in pull-ups, but I wouldn't even want to try running 3 miles. I've never had the beer fridge that far away from my couch so I'm pretty sure I've never run that far before.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-08-28, 11:26

A bear would have to be chasing me for me to run three miles. And even then, I can't guarantee I'd stick with it...bear might wind up with a Paul sandwich for his effort.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2006-08-28, 11:27

Murbot, so you're saying that if they had a beer-athon where you run with a full pint in your hands, the objective being being the last one running after nonstop drinking?
murbot
Hoonigan

2006-08-28, 11:34

I'd just stand there and enjoy the beers, and then jog to the next watering station. That would be one competition where I'd embrace the "it's not whether you win or lose" lie that I always tell my kids.

Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2006-08-28, 12:06

Haha, beer-a-thon...

Anyway, the pull ups were my "downfall" I guess. He said that if I controlled them less and just went up fast, and then dropped without a controlled descent, then I'd have had energy for maybe 2-4 more. It's something to work to but I'd rather do 20 of them legitimately, so I'll keep working at 5x5 weighted pull ups and then some days do as many as I can.

Blah, whatever - 194 is passing and I got a 276, so I think this calls for a celebratory gorge-fest or a beer-a-thon of some sort.

"We are reviewing some 9,000 recent UNHCR referrals from Syria. We are receiving roughly a thousand new ones each month, and we expect admissions from Syria to surge in 2015 and beyond." - Anne C. Richard, Assistant Secretary, Bureau of Population, Refugees, and Migration
Wrao
Yarp

2006-08-28, 16:05

That's not too shabby at all, Were those the only three sections of the test? no pushups or bake-offs?
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2006-08-28, 16:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrao View Post
That's not too shabby at all, Were those the only three sections of the test? no pushups or bake-offs?
Thanks and yeah, I WISH there were a push-up component. I was reading a book I got about the USMC earlier and it said the average male fitness test score is 229, so I definitely destroyed the test.

"We are reviewing some 9,000 recent UNHCR referrals from Syria. We are receiving roughly a thousand new ones each month, and we expect admissions from Syria to surge in 2015 and beyond." - Anne C. Richard, Assistant Secretary, Bureau of Population, Refugees, and Migration
BarracksSi
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2006-08-28, 16:15

There's not much use for pushups because, well, there's not much practical use for pushups anyway. They won't help you climb a wall or rope as much as pullups will.
Wrao
Yarp

2006-08-28, 16:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarracksSi View Post
There's not much use for pushups because, well, there's not much practical use for pushups anyway. They won't help you climb a wall or rope as much as pullups will.
Right, they also won't help your climb a wall as much as situps will. I agree that pushups aren't necessarily functional, but they are still a decent gauge of how well you can handle your body(as are all body weight exercises)

Now, what about the bake-offs? I hear messiah makes a mean marang pie
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2006-08-28, 16:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messiahtosh
It's something to work to but I'd rather do 20 of them legitimately
Definitely. It's all about style!

Of the three elements of the fitness test that you mentioned, pull ups are probably the easiest thing to improve on anyway. Running that well requires good aerobic fitness (not to mention an economical technique) which would otherwise be a real bitch to build up. Most people on the street have enormous difficulties with pull ups but its amazing how fast one develops pull up ability. I think it's because if one weighs 70 kg and has a maximum pulling strength of 69 kg then one simply cannot do a single pull up (with proper technique). But with an improvement of a mere 2% one suddenly has enough residual strength to beat gravity. As the lactic acid sets in strength falls, but again, a very small improvement in strength (or lactic acid tolerance) will result in a good few extra pull ups. Likewise, sheer will-power can work wonders when only a marginal increase in strength is needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarracksSi
There's not much use for pushups because, well, there's not much practical use for pushups anyway.
I think this is also why people who haven't done weight-training have such poor bench-pressing ability compared to gym rats. The other muscles groups (biceps, quads, traps, etc.) are all used in "real life" and therefore quite well-developed in any fit person regardless of whether he or she lifts. But mighty pecs aren't much use for anything other than benching stupid weights in front of your mates.
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2006-08-28, 16:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian Gray View Post
(...)

I think this is also why people who haven't done weight-training have such poor bench-pressing ability compared to gym rats. The other muscles groups (biceps, quads, traps, etc.) are all used in "real life" and therefore quite well-developed in any fit person regardless of whether he or she lifts. But mighty pecs aren't much use for anything other than benching stupid weights in front of your mates.
Or kissing puddles of mud many times over, while the drill seargeant pokes his boot at you.

Wrao
Yarp

2006-08-28, 16:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian Gray View Post
But mighty pecs aren't much use for anything other than benching stupid weights in front of your mates.

And attracting the womens, which we all know is the REAL reason why Chris is interested in fitness/army/baking...etc.
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2006-08-28, 17:07

I thought that was what the red blazer was for?

Should have joined the Mounties.
World Leader Pretend
Ruling teh World

2006-08-28, 17:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messiahtosh View Post
I got a 276/300 on the test. 3 miles in 18:46, 15 out of 20 pull ups, and 100/100 on the sit ups...hells yeah!!!
Nice! Today my workout today consisted of 3 laps (70 seconds, 75, 80) then a mile outside the track @ 5:54, then 2 laps at 2:25, then another 6:04 minute mile outside, then three laps at 80, 74, 64. Without stopping. It's a famous Prefontaine workout, I guess (except they did it at Oregon for 12 miles )
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWR
(Must be those Nike's you and WLP insist on wearing.)
Mine felt great today, you Mizuno/Adidas/Brooks/Asics/Pearl fanboi
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2006-08-28, 19:45

Good work man. You'll be a good fit for the Corp. Congratulations, I'm glad to hear it went well for you. But then, I'm sure you aren't surprised since you have obviously been working out along the way making you prepared unlike most. I wish you the best! Keep us posted.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2006-08-28, 20:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle2472 View Post
Good work man. You'll be a good fit for the Corp. Congratulations, I'm glad to hear it went well for you. But then, I'm sure you aren't surprised since you have obviously been working out along the way making you prepared unlike most. I wish you the best! Keep us posted.
Thank you, sir. I watched the OCS dvd tonight and while it looks intense and challenging, it seems very doable with the right attitude and fitness level, going in.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2006-08-28, 22:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messiahtosh View Post
Thank you, sir. I watched the OCS dvd tonight and while it looks intense and challenging, it seems very doable with the right attitude and fitness level, going in.
I will say that what happens for real and what happens in those videos are often different. That fact remains though, it is doable with the right attitude. They won't let you fail if you keep up physically and with the right attitude. Remember the ultimate goal is you are nothing of yourself, but it is for the team. OSC might be a little different than regular recruit training in that you will be an officer, but the military is a team no matter how you slice it. You will rely on your men and they will rely on you, plain and simple.

Go into it knowing it is a temporary condition and level of treatment. They will beat you mentally, because it will bring strength. You will come out very focused and skilled at the core levels. Then you'll move onto specialized training most likely where you hone it even more.

My one word of caution comes from my Navy background and may not apply to you. In the Navy the officers are pretty much taught that the enlisted are do-nothing slobs that need to me micromanaged and who are always out to stab you in the back. While this is sometimes the case, let each member prove their own. Another bit of advice, your senior enlisted will make or break you. Learn the ropes from them wile following your code of conduct. The military can operate without officers, but it can't operate without enlisted. The senior enlisted know more about the military and personnel than all the officers combined. When you take command of your first group, meet with the senior enlisted first to get a feel for your group. Also, know that they will train you one way or another. If you work with them, it will be positive, if you don't...you get the idea. So go in knowing you'll be getting trained beyond a school or classroom. Also remember, you'll be the one who is in charge of that group though, don't let the wrong things happen unless you are willing to face the music for it.

With that, I'm proud of you for serving and doing something you feel strong about doing. Don't let anyone steal your dream!

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2006-08-28, 22:55

Quote:
I will say that what happens for real and what happens in those videos are often different. That fact remains though, it is doable with the right attitude. They won't let you fail if you keep up physically and with the right attitude. Remember the ultimate goal is you are nothing of yourself, but it is for the team. OSC might be a little different than regular recruit training in that you will be an officer, but the military is a team no matter how you slice it. You will rely on your men and they will rely on you, plain and simple.

Go into it knowing it is a temporary condition and level of treatment. They will beat you mentally, because it will bring strength. You will come out very focused and skilled at the core levels. Then you'll move onto specialized training most likely where you hone it even more.

My one word of caution comes from my Navy background and may not apply to you. In the Navy the officers are pretty much taught that the enlisted are do-nothing slobs that need to me micromanaged and who are always out to stab you in the back. While this is sometimes the case, let each member prove their own. Another bit of advice, your senior enlisted will make or break you. Learn the ropes from them wile following your code of conduct. The military can operate without officers, but it can't operate without enlisted. The senior enlisted know more about the military and personnel than all the officers combined. When you take command of your first group, meet with the senior enlisted first to get a feel for your group. Also, know that they will train you one way or another. If you work with them, it will be positive, if you don't...you get the idea. So go in knowing you'll be getting trained beyond a school or classroom. Also remember, you'll be the one who is in charge of that group though, don't let the wrong things happen unless you are willing to face the music for it.

With that, I'm proud of you for serving and doing something you feel strong about doing. Don't let anyone steal your dream!
Great advice that echoes some former Marines who I've talked with. Thanks a lot.
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2006-08-29, 00:12

Congrats, 'tosh!
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-08-29, 02:21

Quote:

Yeah, I thought this sounded like great advice too.

Especially:
Quote:
let each member prove their own.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2006-08-29, 05:42

Terrific score!
I get the feeling you're going to do very well because you're so intent on excelling. Don't forget about us on the other end of your training, but you're going to be a busy guy.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
Matsu
Veteran Member

2006-08-29, 06:56

Run Forest run!
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2006-08-29, 09:14

Interesting concept. A forest running.

I think you mean Forrest, didn't you?
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-08-29, 09:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana View Post
Interesting concept. A forest running.
Too much LOTR maybe?
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2006-08-29, 10:20

The OCS video made me realize exactly (for the most part) what is ahead of me but I did come away feeling okay about a few things and burdened about others. I know I'm going to go there in good shape, that will only help so much though. The hard part is going to be facing the constant barrage and unrelenting the unrelenting schedule of daily life there. Just gotta think...it's 10 weeks. It's worth it.