User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

I think my optical drive is failing

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
I think my optical drive is failing
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

Send a message via ICQ to turbulentfurball Send a message via AIM to turbulentfurball Send a message via MSN to turbulentfurball  
2009-01-22, 17:12

I recently bought a printer, and my MacBook rejected the disk. I assumed it was a bad disk, and thought nothing of it again until today. I put in an audio CD, and it's playing, but there's a dreadful loud noise that sounds like it's finding problems with the head. It plays all tracks on the CD without skipping at all, but the CD is much warmer than I'd expect when I eject it. Anything I can do before making a trip to see a genius?

Couldn't come at a worse time... I was planning on selling this MacBook next week!

MacBook Core 2 Duo 1.83GHz, 1.25GB RAM, Leopard.
MBHockey
skates=grafs

2009-01-22, 22:39

I just had the SuperDrive fail on my 15" MacBook Pro (bought October of 2007). It was replaced under AppleCare, but the symptoms were it could not burn DVDs (it could, however, read CDs and DVDs).

If it's making loud and abnormal noises that's usually never a good sign. I'd say the most logical next step is to take it in and show them.

The turn around time for my MBP was 6 days (including a holiday). Not bad for getting shipped from NY to Houston and back
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2009-01-23, 10:48

I've heard a lot of reports of slot-loading optical drives failing in Macs. Get it serviced and it'll be an easier sell anyway. Just hope the optical drive doesn't fail again (I've heard of people having their optical drives fail several times in a row).
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2009-01-23, 11:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBHockey View Post
I just had the SuperDrive fail on my 15" MacBook Pro (bought October of 2007). It was replaced under AppleCare, but the symptoms were it could not burn DVDs (it could, however, read CDs and DVDs).

If it's making loud and abnormal noises that's usually never a good sign. I'd say the most logical next step is to take it in and show them.

The turn around time for my MBP was 6 days (including a holiday). Not bad for getting shipped from NY to Houston and back
Ha, dropped my MacBook Pro off yesterday for this exact problem, and the failed GPU unit.

Apparently CD's use a different laser for burning, so you can typically burn CD's just fine, and the DVD burning part is all that fails.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2009-01-23, 11:37

My MacBook optical drive (combo, not DVD-R) doesn't read half the discs I try to get it to read. Really a PITA as my wife took it so my son could watch a movie at her brother's house and it wouldn't play it (commercial DVD, not home burnt). It's out of warranty (didn't get AC) so I use an external FW DVD-R if necessary. My iMac G5's disc burning reliability was so spotty it forced me to buy the afore-mentioned external DVD-RW.
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

Send a message via ICQ to turbulentfurball Send a message via AIM to turbulentfurball Send a message via MSN to turbulentfurball  
2009-01-23, 11:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca View Post
Get it serviced and it'll be an easier sell anyway.
I've got an appointment at the genius bar on Sunday. Yeah, I planned on selling a fully working MacBook. I just hope the cost of fixing it isn't too much.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2009-01-23, 12:15

Wait, cost? Is it out of warranty?

Apple will rape you on the repair if it's not covered. If it isn't, I'd suggest replacing the optical drive yourself - it's doable, and slot-loading DVD burners aren't too expensive.
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

2009-01-23, 12:49

Yeah, it's out of warranty. I've had it for 2 years and I've not got Applecare. Damn. Any guesses as to how much it'd set me back to let apple deal with it?
Dave
Ninja Editor

2009-01-23, 13:12

No, but you'll probably have an excellent idea in a couple days.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2009-01-23, 13:14

My guess would be $400-$600.