User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » GamingNova »

MC 1.7: Future-Proofing for 1.8

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MC 1.7: Future-Proofing for 1.8
¡Damned!

2014-01-09, 21:21

This is probably a slight bit early, but I thought I'd nip it in the bud now. There's been a few hints that 1.8 will be all about "underground" in the same way that 1.7 was all about new above-ground terrain. New ores, new cave systems, etc. Fun, and welcome, since caves could be a lot scarier (especially for Drew ).

That said, it doesn't sound at this point like a world reboot thing, more along the lines of trimming outward chunks and letting the new stuff grow ala what we just went through.

It could be 6 months away, a year, whatever. Who knows. BUT, just so we're prepared for an eventual and unavoidable change (le sigh) I wanted to put together a quick thing for everyone to look at, plus call in the overlords for some input tech-wise:

^ This is very rough, but I took our current map and selected the 3x3 Regions area we saved before 1.7, then brought that to the edge NSEW. Then added another 1x1 region to get to Ely's place and put that on all edges. The blue square is (again, super rough) the expected Portal layout based on K's coords.

So I guess what I'm wondering is if we throw up a preemptive "don't build here unless you want it to go away" zone. Like, here's the edge of Region(s) X, build at your own risk outside of this area type thing. [edit]: Posting coords, obviously, not like a literal wall or fence or some sci-fi zapping shit.

The ultimate hope is that we can just wipe away the area around us and upgrade seamlessly to 1.8, keeping our 1.6 world and our 1.7 world intact, but you never know, especially with MC.

So it goes.

Last edited by 709 : 2014-01-09 at 21:42.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2014-01-09, 21:39

I'm voting for a totally erase and start over.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2014-01-09, 21:43

Ok, the reality is I'm totally against having to start over. Prune and new seed again like we did. I'm leaning to the blue box idea for now, since it will make the edges easier to clean up. Not that that really matters though.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
¡Damned!

2014-01-09, 21:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
I'm voting for a totally erase and start over.
¡Damned!

2014-01-09, 21:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
Ok, the reality is I'm totally against having to start over. Prune and new seed again like we did. I'm leaning to the blue box idea for now, since it will make the edges easier to clean up. Not that that really matters though.
Aha! Phew.

The blue box is the Nether portal layout - we'd need to give a few hundred blocks around those for rambling and whatnot. The red boxes are potential safe zones… that's 11x11 regions. Maybe 13x13 to play it safe? Too much? Perfect? Dunno.

So it goes.

Last edited by 709 : 2014-01-10 at 13:01.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2014-01-09, 22:55

Scary New Caves Omg Crap Crap Crap Crap
Lynn Nexus

2014-02-02, 21:19

I'm quite good with the idea of making more consentric areas where we have the new stuff... though I might suggest that it could be a good idea to make sure that everything we're keeping has been loaded... so that we don't have some funky jeb cliffs, only straight ones >.> *personal preference*