AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

New Tiger Build 8A268

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
New Tiger Build 8A268
Page 1 of 3 [1] 2 3  Next Thread Tools
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2004-11-01, 10:12

According to Think Secret another alpha build of Tiger has been released, the first since WWDC apparently. Still in "A build" territory so that's why I say "alpha", though technically that's not what the A in Apple's build numbers represents. In effect though, given the build numbers of other final releases, that's what it amounts to.

Sounds like it's still very unpolished. Still would be interesting to know if there are any new features, etc.

...into the light of a dark black night.
onlyafterdark
Sucker for shiny objects

Send a message via AIM to onlyafterdark  
2004-11-01, 12:29

There are some new features. AI has them up already. Burnable folders and a few changes to finder so far.
LudwigVan
Veteran Member

2004-11-01, 13:20

There are a bunch of screen grabs over in this thread in the MacNN forum (courtesy member "zachs") in addition to some commentary on the build.

Edit: Perhaps one of the mods could add "8A268" (or 8A269?) to this thread's title for future clarification?
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2004-11-01, 13:57

kick ass. screen grabs are png's now. i hated the whole pdf thing. what a pain in the rear.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2004-11-01, 14:04

MacNN was down earlier and those images were hard to get to. So, in the event that it happens again, I've zipped up the pictures here.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Tiger shots 1.zip (758.9 KB, 160 views)
File Type: zip Tiger shots 2.zip (238.3 KB, 111 views)
File Type: zip Tiger shots 3.zip (380.5 KB, 109 views)
File Type: zip Tiger shots 4.zip (733.2 KB, 61 views)
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2004-11-01, 14:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcimedes
kick ass. screen grabs are png's now. i hated the whole pdf thing. what a pain in the rear.
Agreed.

I'm also a fan of the motion style dashboard in DVD player now. I like my controls being mostly transparent so that change things, but see what's going on still.

Tis why I'm a fan of X-Tunes (at the very bottom) to control iTunes.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2004-11-01, 19:44

Muchas Gracias Brad. D/L now...
Wickers
is not a kind of basket

2004-11-01, 20:25

Damit... why do I even look, it only makes me want an OSX wothy mac even more.... sigh.

(but on a lighter note, I had to ditch my much loved Mac LC and LC 520 in my last move. It was hard to part with them, however, I have picked up an old LC 475 from my new work (that no one wanted) and all it needs is a hard drive. mmm... I can't wait, system 7.5 goodness ahead!)

no sig, how's that for being a rebel!
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2004-11-01, 21:22

The integration with Spotlight for Smart Folders looks good (and the improved viewing setup) but the burnable folders seems a little silly to me. It's so easy to just burn stuff with Toast or Disk Utility anyway... and how often do you burn the same folder with multiple content lists over and over anyway?

For our clients / jobs it's usually twice and out at most.

Kickaha
Veteran Member

2004-11-01, 21:26

Just had a discussion about this over at The Forums Which Shalt Not Be Named... had it pointed out that Burnable Folders are an interesting solution to making the ease of burning in the Finder more obvious. Most people I know don't realize you *can* burn in the Finder just by dragging and dropping to the CD-R icon... this makes it more obvious. It also fits in with the abstracting the user away from the physical file hierarchy and pushing them more towards thinking about what files are used *for*, and *when*. Ie, readying the user for database file systems. We're getting there a step at a time.
ast3r3x

2004-11-01, 22:03

I think it's stupid, but if it means no duplicates on your HD, it's good.

As far as business wise, if there was a way to make a variable date in the title of that folder, it would be a wonderful tool for the photography studio I work at.

We burn the users originals in tif, jpg, and raw, twice. Then we turn their retouched images to cd later.

Needless to say I go through a lot of CD's, and while this isn't the ultimate feature, it would be handy.
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2004-11-02, 09:01

burnable folders = good for backup. Y'all already back up regularly, right?
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2004-11-02, 09:16

To external hard drives mostly.
LudwigVan
Veteran Member

2004-11-02, 10:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha
Just had a discussion about this over at The Forums Which Shalt Not Be Named... had it pointed out that Burnable Folders are an interesting solution to making the ease of burning in the Finder more obvious. Most people I know don't realize you *can* burn in the Finder just by dragging and dropping to the CD-R icon... this makes it more obvious. It also fits in with the abstracting the user away from the physical file hierarchy and pushing them more towards thinking about what files are used *for*, and *when*. Ie, readying the user for database file systems. We're getting there a step at a time.
I've been following the same discussion over there. On top of everything else, I wonder if this particular folder is utilized by Automator for some special purpose.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2004-11-05, 14:07

Anyone else uncover anything new in this build?
Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2004-11-05, 16:03

Yeah, speaking of backup - is there a tool to back up selected files and/or folders on your hard drive to any other selected media, volume or location? Something like Synk, but built into the OS? Or will we just be able to set it up in Automator (which would rock)?
staph
Microbial member

Send a message via AIM to staph  
2004-11-05, 18:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaqtly
Yeah, speaking of backup - is there a tool to back up selected files and/or folders on your hard drive to any other selected media, volume or location? Something like Synk, but built into the OS? Or will we just be able to set it up in Automator (which would rock)?
rsync baby!
LudwigVan
Veteran Member

2004-11-05, 23:51

For some more screenshots of 8A294, check out the November 1st posts at macosxrumors.

Here's one compelling bit of information from the site:

Quote:
TextEdit has been improved a lot in Tiger, this new version (1.4), allows editing of document properties, adding or editing of tables, spacing, lists, links and other things. Other features like printing page numbers are also available. Considering TextEdit has had .doc file format support since version 1.3, Apple could easily rename this piece of software “iWord” .
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2004-11-06, 08:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by LudwigVan
For some more screenshots of 8A294, check out the November 1st posts at macosxrumors.
And I have conveniently added those pictures as Tiger shots 4.zip to my previous post in this thread.

How kind of me.
shatteringglass

2004-11-06, 16:33

Thanks a lot. Tiger looks like a huge upgrade, much more so than Panther was to Jaguar.
Majost
monkey with a tiny cymbal

2004-11-06, 16:46

Looks like they kinda fixed the security hole where passwords are stored in two different kinds of hashes - a less secure one for windows sharing and the more secure one for the Mac. In the posted screenshot, at least it warns you about it, and you can choose to do it for each user.
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2004-11-06, 17:30

Quote:
TextEdit has been improved a lot in Tiger, this new version (1.4), allows editing of document properties, adding or editing of tables, spacing, lists, links and other things. Other features like printing page numbers are also available. Considering TextEdit has had .doc file format support since version 1.3, Apple could easily rename this piece of software “iWord”
What's really nice about this is that any Cocoa app will get these things for free too. So Create is going to have these options when it's running in Tiger. That's what so great about Cocoa: your apps get "free" upgrades whenever you upgrade the system.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2004-11-07, 12:57

The thing I'm not liking about Text Edit as they add more and more is that everything is accessed via detached dialog windows. Looks and feels very disconnected when apps do that IMO. Apple has to find a way to make some tighter visual integrations as they expand Text Edit's feature set, etc.

ast3r3x

2004-11-07, 13:25

8A294 sucks on my PB 15" 1.25GHz.

Anything relating to graphics is weird. Windows dragging (not resizing) is smooth, but delayed. I can drag a windows all around my screen quickly, and it'll go everywhere I drug it, but in it's own time.

Dock and expose are jerky. DVD player say no video device can be found

So as I said in the other thread...I'm going back to 10.3.x
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2004-11-12, 18:20

Some interesting explanations and graphics about Tiger from ADC:

http://developer.apple.com/macosx/tiger/index.html

Also some Tiger Server info in case any missed it.

http://www.apple.com/server/macosx/tiger/

chucker
‽

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2004-11-13, 05:37

Quartz Composer is a really cool application, provided you have a CoreImage-capable card. Which I don't.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2004-12-08, 18:16

Latest build: 8A323 . Anyone care to comment? I'd fork over the $500 for a Select ADC account and start testing it myself if I weren't already under a heavy beta load from another developer. Sounds like this is mostly bug fixing territory though, no new gizmos.

hype.it

Send a message via AIM to hype.it Send a message via MSN to hype.it  
2004-12-10, 10:55

iSync still doesn't work with some mobiles, such as mine. :-(

feels more stable though and ichat still buggy...
nuff said
Barto
Student extraordinaire

2004-12-12, 20:42

http://www.apple.com.cn/developer/Do...chOverview.pdf

Tiger Tech Overview which, according to OSNews, discloses more features than previously available documents.

I don't know if it's been discussed before now, but Tiger now has a hidden setting to change the pixel:virtual pixel ratio. So really tiny or really huge interfaces ahoy!

The sky was deep black; Jesus still loved me. I started down the alley, wailing in a ragged bass.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2004-12-12, 23:17

Thanks for the link; I'll check that out. [just realized the server is in China... stopping download now for fear that Big Red Brother is watching me. ]

Last edited by Moogs : 2004-12-12 at 23:25.