User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Creative Endeavors »

Anyone in interested in having a Gap logo contest?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Anyone in interested in having a Gap logo contest?
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2010-10-12, 11:29

I think it's actually really hard to improve on such a simple design.

The new design looks awful by comparison.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-10-12, 11:39

I was reading about this some last week. People are freaking out (Robo - our resident branding monkey - is probably in such a state, he can't even bring himself to write about it...he's been strangely silent about all this, so I figure he's among the afflicted).

And maybe they should be freaking out, as that new "logo" is about the most bland, uninspiring "by committee" design I've ever seen for such a major, known outfit. It's just...weak.

I'd rather see them go back to their old school one than use this new one!

That's way more stylish and zingy than this new one. The new one looks like someone was given 12 minutes, default system fonts and PageMaker 2.0 and told "give us something cool!"

I guess I should shut up and put my money where my mouth is, but I kinda suck too and I'm not sure what I'd do (other than go back to the damn other one they had).

I might do something with all lower-case in a different, more interesting typeface...just so you can get some nice shapes and play with the "g". And, actually, the "g" and "p" kinda mirror each other, so that could be an avenue to explore, with an "a" in the middle of that particular "gap".

See? I've thought about it, casually, for a whole 55 seconds and I've already hit on a more coherent, sensible approach than this new one.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-10-12, 11:41

You guys know they've already switched back, right? Gap logo outrage is so last week.

Now, it's all about the new myspace logo.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-10-12, 11:43

Speak of the devil...

No, I didn't know they switched. Otherwise I wouldn't have written all the above.

Good...saves me some work and embarrassment.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-10-12, 11:46

Yeah, they announced yesterday that they were canceling the logo change due to all the protest.

But not to waste a good thread, here's the new myspace logo:

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-10-12, 11:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
(Robo - our resident branding monkey - is probably in such a state, he can't even bring himself to write about it...he's been strangely silent about all this, so I figure he's among the afflicted).
I tweeted.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2010-10-12, 12:13

Wow, holy crap. I can see why they changed back so quickly. There is always some controversy when a big company changes a well-established logo, but in this case it was deserved. That looks like something I could have made in 2 minutes on my old Mac IIcx in Illustrator 6 when I was 10!

Of course having a decent logo still won't convince me to ever buy something from them again.
Noel

2010-10-12, 12:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
Yeah, they announced yesterday that they were canceling the logo change due to all the protest.

But not to waste a good thread, here's the new myspace logo:

Wow. Just wow.

Maybe Gap paid them to take some of the heat off?
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-10-12, 12:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca View Post
Wow, holy crap. I can see why they changed back so quickly. There is always some controversy when a big company changes a well-established logo, but in this case it was deserved. That looks like something I could have made in 2 minutes on my old Mac IIcx in Illustrator 6 when I was 10!

Of course having a decent logo still won't convince me to ever buy something from them again.
The thing about the old logo was that you could take away any two of the three letters and show it to anyone and they'd still instantly recognize it as Gap. You can't design that sort of equity into a logo, even if you tried (and I'm not sure Gap really tried).

Also, the new logo looked very American Apparel. It also blended in too much with the rest of Gap's marketing materials and didn't stand out the way a logo should. It would be like if Apple didn't have the apple symbol, but just had the word "Apple" set in the same Myriad they use for everything else.

That, and the black-on-blue-gradient thing was just ugly.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-10-12, 12:34

I guess this is some of the edgy, overthought stuff we're destined to see as all these clever young twerps are coming out of design schools.

Yay!

Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2010-10-12, 13:47

Gap's now-abandoned new logo was silly, but their old (current) logo doesn't seem perfect either. It's perfectly pleasant, but it looks a bit yacht club to me. For a company named after the generation gap it's hardly edgy, is it? Of course Gap isn't edgy, but you'd think they'd want to pretend a little at least.

Gap is being destroyed in Paris by Uniqlo, the latest generic blandness with a bit of marketing savvy behind it. These companies and their sheer insipidness intrigue me. How the heck can they be so successful?
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2010-10-12, 13:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian Gray View Post
Gap is being destroyed in Paris by Uniqlo, the latest generic blandness with a bit of marketing savvy behind it. These companies and their sheer insipidness intrigue me. How the heck can they be so successful?
Probably because most people can't afford to go to real fashion stores. But they also feel that shopping for clothes at Target is beneath them or something. So they figure hey, I'll go to this place that looks trendy, is in a mall (not a strip mall), and charges $40 for a pair of jeans instead of $20.
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2010-10-12, 14:45

Quote:
Probably because most people can't afford to go to real fashion stores. But they also feel that shopping for clothes at Target is beneath them or something. So they figure hey, I'll go to this place that looks trendy, is in a mall (not a strip mall), and charges $40 for a pair of jeans instead of $20.
You nailed me.
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2010-10-12, 14:47

Last edited by ezkcdude : 2010-10-12 at 16:29.
tomoe
Veteran Member

2010-10-12, 15:31

FWIW, with respect to women's fashion Target has (according to various lady acquaintances) stepped up its game significantly in the past few years by doing limited run collaborations with well known designers that often sell out within hours of release.

To be honest...it's hard to give a shit about the Gap (their clothes fit as if they were made for fratards with keg swilling induced beer bloat of the body) but love their Microsoft-ty looking logo in a sort of, "Really, are you fucking kidding me?" sort of way. Sort of a precious monstrosity, wish they could keep it for the lulz.

Uniqlo is alright for its denim (raw, plain dark blue, fits me well, lasts v. long, cheap, and free hemming) but not much else...Better than H&M where one "waits in line for 15 minutes to buy clothes guaranteed to last just as long".

Seen a man standin' over a dead dog lyin' by the highway in a ditch
He's lookin' down kinda puzzled pokin' that dog with a stick
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2010-10-12, 15:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezkcdude View Post
linking fail
¡Damned!

2010-10-12, 16:11

Quote:
Gap, not Guess.
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2010-10-12, 16:30

Huh. Can you see it now?
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2010-10-12, 16:35

Does this remind anyone else of the New Coke/Coke Classic brouhaha?
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2010-10-12, 16:50

Quote:
Huh. Can you see it now?
Nope, I get a page that says "This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below." It has something in there about an access key that expired. Maybe it's a session-based link.

Just download it and toss it on TinyPic.
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2010-10-12, 17:55

Quote:
Nope, I get a page that says "This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below." It has something in there about an access key that expired. Maybe it's a session-based link.

Just download it and toss it on TinyPic.
Weird. So much for TwitPic. What about now?

all that buildup...