Please Don't Trust Us, Inc®

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Please Don't Trust Us, Inc®
Page 8 of 8 First Previous 4 5 6 7 [8]  Thread Tools
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-04-19, 13:16

Insteon was one I almost did business with. They were who my Uncle went with long before "connected" was a thing. Their method was pretty cool for the day.

These days it isn't as appealing as the conglomeration with Z-wave, Zigbee and Thread. There is much greater flexibility with the other options so I'm not really surprised to hear they didn't make it. What surprises me is that they just "disappeared". I was able to browse their website still, but I don't have any devices so I'm unaffected.

I will say though, this is why I would really rather something that is decentralized like Thread where we don't have to have a supporting "hub" to control. Even still I am currently running two hubs in my house for various connections to HomeKit.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-04-27, 12:22

Gee, I’m shocked.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-04-27, 12:43

Yipes. That's a bad one.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2022-04-27, 14:57

People lie and cheat when it comes to everything else, why not when it comes to getting data from companies? People have been pretending to be law enforcement for as long as it has existed. It was just a matter of time.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-05-27, 16:29

Amazon is killing its Cloud Cams.

This is going to happen with increasing frequency as one company or another decides their devices just aren't worth supporting any longer.

I remember years ago being able to buy lifetime memberships at gyms. That is, until the gyms had sold so many lifetime memberships that they didn't have space inside the gyms, and there was no longer any way to make any money. So, they all went out of business and were replaced by "subscription" (monthly fee) gyms.

The way forward for these stupid things is going to be subscriptions and data harvesting to pay for the cloud services. Hardware fees alone are not enough to support massive monitoring servers.

Buy these things at your own risk.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2023-01-26, 10:59

Now Home Depot is in on the show. Sharing user purchase data with Meta. Just another reason to never give your email address to a store.

https://globalnews.ca/news/9436369/h...rivacy-report/
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-01-26, 11:25

I've love to be surprised... but I'm not. Privacy is a thing of the past and we have to work so hard to retain it. Even when we think we have it locked down another organization shares our data and we are out that much more.

I'm still not going to just hand out my data willingly. Heck, I'm ready to move back to cash for most purchases so there is little digital record.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.