User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

Looking for iMac Replacement

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Looking for iMac Replacement
knickas

2007-02-07, 22:39

I have a iMac G4 700mhz 15" computer that I want to either upgrade or replace. The reason I'm considering upgrading is that I use the current iMac to do my schoolwork and other graphic design, plus I do video editing. I use my G5 when I need the extra power, but I use the iMac for everything else and when I do use the G5 I need to share it with other people. I'm on a tight budget, but I want to get the best I can with what I can afford.

The major issue I have at the moment is that if I go to an Intel based Mac, I want to use Adobe CS2 but I know it will be emulated through software. I especially don't want to go that route until I know when CS3 will be available--I use Adobe products every day.

The options I'm considering are as follows:

• Upgrade processor using Daystar's iMac G4 upgrade
• Do a trade-in thru PowerMax and getting an iMac G5

Or...

• Upgrading to the New iMac Intel Core 2 Duo
• Purchase a PowerMac G4 FW800 and Cinema Display

I want to have the maximum options available, but I don't know what I should do. Should I go and do the upgrade of the processor that costs $480? Or what?

Thanks for the help.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2007-02-07, 23:09

CS3 will be out in a matter of months and an intel iMac will have a much longer life than a G5 (or G4 yuck!) based one.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2007-02-08, 07:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
CS3 will be out in a matter of months and an intel iMac will have a much longer life than a G5 (or G4 yuck!) based one.
Not only that, but an Intel Mac with enough RAM will run CS2 through Rosetta faster than your G4 anyway.

Get the C2D iMac.

Out of my own curiosity, though, I'd like to know why in the world you would buy an old Power Mac to go with it. That makes no sense to me. The Core 2 Duo is faster, even running PPC applications. It just seems like a waste of money to buy two desktops when the iMac will be more than enough for you.

Twitter: bwyatt | Xbox: @playsbadly | Instagram: @bw317