User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

What's your longest uptime?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
View Poll Results: What's your longest uptime?
< 1 day (Windows users click here) 2 2.27%
1 day 1 1.14%
1 week 13 14.77%
2 weeks 11 12.50%
1 month 25 28.41%
2 months 8 9.09%
3 months & over 28 31.82%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

What's your longest uptime?
Page 1 of 3 [1] 2 3  Next Thread Tools
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

Send a message via AIM to atomicbartbeans  
2005-11-11, 10:12

Your current uptime is super-easy to check... just start Terminal, type "uptime", and press enter.

I am on what I believe is my longest uptime ever... 16 days, 15 hours, 42 minutes. Do others typically leave their computer on for this long (even longer)?

(Dedicated) servers don't count.

You ask me for a hamburger.
SKMDC
superkaratemonkeydeathcar

Send a message via AIM to SKMDC  
2005-11-11, 10:21

iPulse can tell you as well. plus it looks cool.
beardedmacuser

2005-11-11, 10:31

My work Mac runs 24/7 but it never gets much more than a month runtime before Apple releases an update that requires a restart.

My backup Samba server (also a Mac) at work is a different story, but as you said servers don't count...

And my Mac at home gets shutdown every night (unless it's on a particularly large Bittorrent! ).
Mikester

2005-11-11, 10:32

I shut down my Mac (iBook) every day. Is that bad?
SKMDC

2005-11-11, 10:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikester
I don't think it's bad but it's not necessary. When booting up was endless I would've said it's a pain in the ass, but now it starts up so quickly (relatively) that's really not an issue.

"What's a Canadian farm boy to do?"
SledgeHammer

2005-11-11, 10:46

I use the Showoff Widget to keep track of uptime. My longest since I started using it this summer is 16 days, 10 hours, 53 minutes. I almost never shutdown my PB unless there is an update that requires it.
BlueRabbit
Veteran Member

2005-11-11, 11:47

Right now I'm at almost 11 days, because of 10.4.3. However, my record from last summer is over 70 days.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-11-11, 12:10

I think my longest Windows uptime actually exceeds my longest Mac uptime, and that's not for a dedicated server either. Either way, they're both probably around the 2-3 week mark. Right now my uptime sucks (14 hours) as OS X hates it when it tries to access data on a drive that has been disconnected. Apparently it can't JUST FUCKING STOP TRYING TO ACCESS IT.

FTFF Apple!
kretara
Cynical Old Bastard

Send a message via AIM to kretara Send a message via Yahoo to kretara  
2005-11-11, 12:25

I had a Linux (RH 6.2) gileserver (at home -- not a work server) up for over 200 days and the only reason that it "went down" was because of a power outage. I currently have an Ubuntu box that has been up for 67 days.

My longest Mac uptime was actually done on an old B&W 400 running 8.6. I got 40 days out of it before I needed to restart. All my coworkers were amazed that anyone could keep OS 8 or 9 up for that long. My longest OS X uptime is 36 days. The only reason that I restart OS X is for software updates.

My longest windows uptime is around 14 days (xp pro) and that is only because I never use the XP box I have at work. Still, after just sitting on my desk and doing nothing it still needs to be restarted every other week because it gets sluggish.
SKMDC

2005-11-11, 12:49

Mine was 63 days, but mostly because I was gone. (30 days of it anyway) When I got back their was an update that required a restart and I thought to look, otherwise I'd never have bothered.

"What's a Canadian farm boy to do?"
Koodari
Veteran Member

2005-11-11, 15:30

There is no option for "don't know" on the poll. That's the situation with me. Absolutely no idea how long my best uptime is.

My mom might actually have a better uptime record than I do, because only time she boots is when there's a major OS X update in Software Update. I occasionally install and tweak things that need a reboot. Last time I rebooted was because of this.

And what's that about Windows in the poll? I actually have a friend who has had up to ~50 days uptime on Windows 95 (that's how long it takes for the system time counter to overflow) and ~80 days uptime in Windows 98.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2005-11-11, 17:21

I only have my machines on when necessary (to save electricity). Actually, my PC desktop, which I'm selling next week, hasn't even been plugged in for almost two months.

I have had months of uptime on Windows machines. On my Mac, I don't think I've had it on for more than four or five days, but I only turn it off to save power. I use my laptop (Fedora, 1.3 GHz Celeron D) more than anything, but I leave it off most of the time too (for some reason Fedora can't suspend my laptop, so if I leave it on the battery dies--even with it closed).

Twitter: bwyatt | Xbox: @playsbadly | Instagram: @bw317
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2005-11-11, 18:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikester
Not bad, but completely stupid unnecessary. What is the advantage?

My eMac at work has been shutdown *maybe* twice in over a year of service. It only gets restarted with a system update.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
AndyX-

2005-11-11, 19:07

Quote:
Not bad, but completely stupid unnecessary. What is the advantage?

Maybe you didn't know that there are environmental consequences to using electricity? Do you leave your car running overnight? No - of course you don't! Every time you turn your computer on, you create a little pollution so saving electricity doesn't just put money in your pocket (or your boss's pocket in your case), it helps keep the air and water clean, too.

What's the advantage of leaving your computer on other than for system maintenance tasks anyway? If it's just for that then use MacJanitor. There are also advantages in shutting it down - if I'm use Photoshop all day, I can normally clear between 3Gb and 4Gb of space just by restarting....
gsxrboy

2005-11-11, 19:42

I sleep my powerbook (most 70+ days) and the server (most 150+ days) never shuts down either. The only time they restart is from system updates or apps that require one etc..
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2005-11-11, 19:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyX-
Every time you turn your computer on, you create a little pollution
Exactly. Emphasis on "turn on". The startup process requires a lot of disk and CPU usage and thus a lot of electricity. In many cases, it is much more energy-saving to put the machine to stand-by over night than to turn it off and back on.
revolution

Send a message via AIM to revolution  
2005-11-11, 21:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker
Exactly. Emphasis on "turn on". The startup process requires a lot of disk and CPU usage and thus a lot of electricity. In many cases, it is much more energy-saving to put the machine to stand-by over night than to turn it off and back on.
Something I was just about to say, and have used many a time to defend the fact I leave it turned on all the time.

I have no idea about longest uptime, probs a week or so.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-11-11, 21:16

And we've had this discussion before in the past. Some people got really indignant about power usage, but computers use a tiny, tiny amount of power. Even big desktops don't use much power. You don't save much power by turning off your computer, and like others have said, you use a lot more power by turning it off and on constantly than you do by just leaving it on and letting it go to sleep when you're not using it.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-11-11, 21:42

Quote:
Maybe you didn't know that there are environmental consequences to using electricity?
Do you unplug your TV and VCR/DVR at night?
Disconnect your phones and slide the battery off your cell when you're not placing a call?
Remove the batteries from your watch and clocks when you're not using them?
Do you even know how much power these devices consume regularly?

"No - of course you don't!"

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
SpecMode
Wait what

2005-11-11, 22:00

I let my 'Book sleep when I'm not using it, meself...I've probably gotten close to 2 months uptime during this last deployment (not being able to download updates for two to three months at a stretch kinda sucks, but then again, not having to restart for nearly that long is kinda cool, too), but every once in a while I'd shut down entirely just to be on the safe side (old Windows habit kicking in, as my Toshiba laptop never takes well to sleep mode).

OT: One of a very few advantages gained from being out to sea for six months: not having to worry about the electric bill! (having a 'portable' 32MW of electrical generating capacity comes in handy sometimes...)
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2005-11-12, 00:46

Quote:

Maybe you didn't know that there are environmental consequences to using electricity? Do you leave your car running overnight? No - of course you don't! Every time you turn your computer on, you create a little pollution so saving electricity doesn't just put money in your pocket (or your boss's pocket in your case), it helps keep the air and water clean, too.

What's the advantage of leaving your computer on other than for system maintenance tasks anyway? If it's just for that then use MacJanitor. There are also advantages in shutting it down - if I'm use Photoshop all day, I can normally clear between 3Gb and 4Gb of space just by restarting....
Ever heard of *sleep*? I don't leave my computer "on" all night. I just don't shut it down. If it makes you feel better, I rarely use my powerbook plugged in. I have a battery for that.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
Koodari
Veteran Member

2005-11-12, 01:51

Quote:

Let me guess, you live someplace really warm? Because if your house was heated even a little bit on thermostat control, it wouldn't matter how much electricity your gear takes.
staph
Microbial member

Send a message via AIM to staph  
2005-11-12, 02:43

On several eMacs I run at work, the best uptimes (approximately) were something like 180 days, 162 days, and 160 days. In every case they went down for a system update. So far as I'm aware, none of the three computers have ever had a kernel panic.

They're actually a pretty good advertisement for eMacs. Old tech surely, but very very stable.
Powerdoc
Cat's Dreamlands

2005-11-12, 02:45

I turn off my computer every day.
tekmoe

2005-11-12, 03:15

longest uptime i've had that i can remember was 29 days on my 12" powerbook. then i had to run an update that forced a restart.
Res

2005-11-12, 04:17

I had over two months uptime on my powerbook a while back. Nowadays it seems like we get an update that requires a restart every few weeks.
julesstoop
Veteran Member

2005-11-12, 04:24

My desktop Mac has once made it to 171 days (!) at that moment I thought: time has come to install some updates.
Jerman

2005-11-12, 04:24

Let's see... My longest time was from August 19th 2005 to this Sunday, November 7th 2005. Not sure of the times as I wiped the drive. So I guess it was 80 days. Exciting!
T-Man
The Hoarding Packrat™

2005-11-12, 08:53

About a week. I think I've made it longer on my old VAIO as I HATED to restart it since it took forever to load evereything, and was slow before or after restart, so I just left it on. I like to restart my PowerBook. So elegant when starting up. Too bad the dong doesnt play with all my surround sounds speakers...
Mac+
9" monochrome

2005-11-12, 10:23

Can't recall my longest uptime, but lately I have been averaging a few days.

However, in defense of turning off/restarting, I have found that with only 512MB of RAM and a small amount of available HD space (<2GB) page outs have been a problem. A fresh start really helps clear things up and the system is *much* more responsive - such a joy to use for the first few days at least.