User Name
Password

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
New iMac too?
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2006-07-03, 15:40

Springing from the story just posted on Think Secret (http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0606macpro.html) talking about new enclosure to go with the new chip for the Power Mac replacement and the MBP, what are the chances of a new iMac design to go with the Conroe? I'm waiting for Conroe to be released and "hopefully" added to the iMac, but if everything is getting a makeover, wouldn't it make sense that the iMac got one too?
neiltc13

2006-07-03, 15:42

Not really, the iMac is just fine as it is now. I can't really think of any ways in which Apple could improve the case - it would just be change for the sake of change.
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2006-07-03, 15:44

I can't think of any ways it could really be changed either -- unless Apple puts a HDTV tuner in the thing with a new chip. That would make me happy.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-07-03, 15:50

Yeah, the iMac is currently about as distilled-down and elemental as something like that could ever be. Not too many ways to make an AIO with the guts behind the display and still have it be so thin and stylish.

Cosmetics and stuff strictly "for appearance" are about all I could imagine (or an additional port or two).

They've painted themselves into a corner with this one, I think.

As for the new MacBook Pro case, I can't imagine it getting TOO different (they look so snazzy right now). I do think it'll incorporate the magnetic latching system of the MacBook. That, I'd bet on!

Then again, if the towers go with a new, different look (design AND materials), then that could very well give a clue as to an autumn MacBook Pro redesign (matching materials, etc.).

Also, the displays might get redesigned at WWDC also, to match the new towers (and future MBP models).

This is all assuming they go with a different look than the matte-finish aluminum on the current pro gear?

Maybe the pro gear is getting the glossy black treatment (and then half of you will die from excessive orgasms).

Now that I think about it, if they took the entire line (towers, displays AND pro notebooks, when it was their time) to a unified black look, that might be cool I guess.

A nice change after five-plus years of everything in the pro line being silver or grey. And it seems the black MacBook might've been a good, safe "test pilot" for such a shift, to assess public reaction and acceptance to black Macs? It seems to have been a popular addition to the line, right?

Hmmm...

Mark this date: I hereby predict black is the new aluminum, and that's what the pro gear will look like at WWDC. Maybe more of a matte finish too (like the MacBook), because glossy might smudge up too easily? Maybe they'll go with plastic too...would that help with weight? No sense having the expense and weight of metal if it's going to be black and planted on your desk anyway? And the MacBook Pro can basically look like a 15" and 17" version of the $1,499 MacBook.

The G4 towers were plastic, remember? So it's not unheard of. Nothing says they have to be some sort of silver metal forever. While I normally think black plastic computers look like hell eating a biscuit, I also trust Apple to do it right (as they did the MacBook) and all would be fine. Besides, my latest trip to Best Buy has shown me that everyone else seems to be jumping on the silver (or white-ish) laptop bandwagon.

Now that everyone has zagged (following Apple-y design leads), it's time for Apple to zig once again, and give them something to shoot for and copy the next 3-5 years.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2006-07-03 at 16:06.
steve77uk

Send a message via AIM to steve77uk Send a message via MSN to steve77uk Send a message via Skype™ to steve77uk 
2006-07-03, 16:46

I hope they do stick with white for the consumer range...

Then again I am a hypocrite because I went out and bought the black Macbook! My mate has got a white iBook which looks pretty cool, but then again, I suppose people associate Mac's as being glossy white compared to the standard boring creams, silvers and blacks in the PC world... I suppose that is what makes the consumer range different and more snazzy...

I did get a black iPod, but wished I went for white which looks better for longer I think... I suppose I went for it because it was different, but soon regretted it!

I got the black laptop because I use it for work and was matte which doesn't show up the scratches as much, although if they did the exact spec in white (which they have done now according to AI, I would have gone for that one instead)

Just thought I would post this useless bit of irregular information!

I must admit that I am very curious on how they might redesign the iMac, I seriously doubt they will stand still and not change it, design moods change frequently - I loved the iMac G4, shame they didn't to it in a G5, but I love my iMacG5 anyway and to be frank - I have no idea on what they will come up with next - maybe we will really ask "where did the computer go" next time! I bet it will sport a 23" screen and thinner.

How long was the iMac G4 alive for? I bet the iMac G5/Intel range must be coming up to three years now? (obviously not intel, but the general design if you know what I mean). I bet they might save this one for the Paris Expo, that might sound about right... (i'll stop waffling now - I promise!)
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2006-07-03, 16:59

I don't think we'll see black pro products but a black iMac would be more likely. So far all the black products are consumer based (iPod, MacBook) rather then pro. So a black pro-sumer iMac would be the next logical step.

According to ThinkSecret the Pro towers are coming out at WWDC. Steve suggested the Paris Expo might be another announcement point. What are the upcoming "big dates" that could signal a release of products? I know Conroe comes out July 25 and WWDC is August 7, but what are some of the others that are on the horizon (including the end of the Cram and Jam)?
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-07-03, 17:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
Yeah, the iMac is currently about as distilled-down and elemental as something like that could ever be. Not too many ways to make an AIO with the guts behind the display and still have it be so thin and stylish.

Cosmetics and stuff strictly "for appearance" are about all I could imagine (or an additional port or two).

They've painted themselves into a corner with this one, I think.
Agreed - I don't think any of Apple's new computers will look radically different, unless Apple does an about-face in their design philosophy. Right now, all of their computers are about as pure and simple as they could get.

I think the new iMac might be slightly thinner (perhaps it will have a straight back again?), and the chin might be a little smaller, and it will probably start at 20", but that'll be about it - barring any sudden reversals in design direction.

Quote:
Mark this date: I hereby predict black is the new aluminum, and that's what the pro gear will look like at WWDC. Maybe more of a matte finish too (like the MacBook), because glossy might smudge up too easily? Maybe they'll go with plastic too...would that help with weight? No sense having the expense and weight of metal if it's going to be black and planted on your desk anyway? And the MacBook Pro can basically look like a 15" and 17" version of the $1,499 MacBook.
I've been saying that the next pro towers (and the matching displays) would be matte black adonized aluminum forever. It just seems like the next logical step. They wouldn't look like cheese graters anymore, because the black would serve to "hide" the holes (that's if the Mac Pro still needed them). Black would also camoflauge the IR port, as well as the probable iSight on the new Cinema Displays.

The new, headless, mid-range, wet-dream, $999 "Mac" desktop could be silver aluminum. That'd give a nice a nice sense of progression and "completeness" to Apple's three-tiered line: White on the low-end, silver on the mid-range, and black on the high-end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve77uk
How long was the iMac G4 alive for? I bet the iMac G5/Intel range must be coming up to three years now? (obviously not intel, but the general design if you know what I mean). I bet they might save this one for the Paris Expo, that might sound about right... (i'll stop waffling now - I promise!)
The iMac G5 turns two on August 31. The iMac G4 lasted about two years. That doesn't mean that we should be expecting an all-new iMac design, of course - both for the reasons I outlined above, and because the iMac G4 is generally considered the least successful iMac, sales-wise (bless its heart). Conversely, the megahit iMac G3 was around four years before it was replaced by "The new iMac," and it remained in the line as a lower-end machine for a year or so after (until being effectively replaced with the eMac).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcfsu
I don't think we'll see black pro products but a black iMac would be more likely. So far all the black products are consumer based (iPod, MacBook) rather then pro. So a black pro-sumer iMac would be the next logical step.
I wouldn't rule out a black iMac, but I'll also suggest that the reason the iPods were made available in black was so they could match the eventual black "Pro" Macs, and the reason that the MacBook comes in black is to appear similar to the forthcoming black MBPs, similar to the 12" Powerbook of olde. Perhaps the BlackBook is even a placeholder for the "true" prosumer compact notebook we'll see when the line is redesigned? It's fairly obvious that the $150 paint option was an experiment for Apple, perhaps to gauge reaction to a black Mac, or perhaps to see how much people were willing to spend for a paint job, who knows. Only time will tell us the results.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-07-03, 19:09

I do think that black MacBook was a "real world test subject" of sorts. Apple can fling it out there, see how folks take to it and maybe go from there and think about how - or if - they want to offer that in their other Macs.

It wouldn't surprise me to see a black iMac, I guess. Or, of course, the pro gear.

A matte black tower with a matching Cinema Display might really be something to see.

And I think they'd sell like hotcakes laced with crack if they offered the MacBook Pro (both 15" and 17") in the same skin as the black MacBook. People won't care if it's metal or not, as long as it's fast, relatively slim and light and cool.

And, you have to admit, nothing pops off black quite as nicely as that glowing white Apple logo. My gosh, you could see it from across an auditorium or basketball arena!

Anyway, I bet they're closely tracking the sales of those black MacBooks...and planning the future accordingly.

macleod
Now in lower-case™!

2006-07-03, 19:16

I think they will offer the iMac in black also. And I think they will make the HD user replaceable much like the MacBook. They will also add this feature to the MBP to make their computers more upgradeable.
Dave Hagan

2006-07-03, 19:26

I dislike the keyboard on the new MacBooks; not because of the typing action, but because I think it's aesthetically unattractive. I have also noticed that some of the key's lettering is slightly off center. Has anyone else noticed this? But I digress...

I don't think the MacBook Pro will employ the magnetic latch the MacBook uses because then Apple would be forced to move the optical drive off to the side which would also mean they would have issues with ports. It would be a pain for them to do. I think a latch design that should be adopted would be one from the first clamshell iBook that sprung shut. Apple also needs to make the display able to adjust further back as right now it's inhibited by its hinge design.

I don't think that Apple will use the same type of plastic design for a pro notebook. The MacBook is not that much lighter than it's ancestor iBook models, and I believe Apple not only wants to make enclosures thinner but they also want to make the entire notebook lighter as well.

I am one that believes that even the MacBook's design is a modest change from the iBook and only an interum solution to get the transition to Intel done and over while giving consumer's confidence in the transition.

As far as the coloring is concerned, I don't think the enclosures will be annodized black aluminum, but rather some other material. While the minimalist monochromatic aluminum design is highly attractive and destinctive, it's not necessarily indicative of Apple's future professional computer design directions.
iFerret

Send a message via MSN to iFerret Send a message via Skype™ to iFerret 
2006-07-03, 19:27

I'd agree with that. I think it'll be white for consumer, aluminium for mid-range (possibly, but I'm not really sure) and black for the top end. No, scratch that.

I've had an epiphany and a change of mind.

Aluminium for the bottom-end would make sense, the Mac Mini (which sort takes the low-end) is aluminium. Then white for the mid-range (iMac, MacBook- no black options on either) and black for the pro/high-end (Mac Pro, MacBook Pro, Maybe even displays?).

But black for the top-end I think, would see removal of black for the MacBook- because the MacBook is consumer level.

So...
Aluminium- Mac Mini
Sub Notebook? (Maybe?)

White- iMac
MacBook

Black- Mac Pro
MacBook Pro
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-07-03, 19:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hagan
I don't think the MacBook Pro will employ the magnetic latch the MacBook uses because then Apple would be forced to move the optical drive off to the side
Why?
Dave Hagan

2006-07-03, 20:04

If Apple can't get a dual-layer SuperDrive thin enough for the 15-inch MacBook Pro...how the hell are they going to squeeze a magnet in there too?
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-07-03, 20:09

Quote:
If Apple can't get a dual-layer SuperDrive thin enough for the 15-inch MacBook Pro...how the hell are they going to squeeze a magnet in there too?
What makes you think a magnet takes up more space than the current latch mechanism?
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2006-07-03, 20:17

Quote:
Note: the magnet is in the lid on the MB. There would be plenty of room to put a magnet in the lid and a metal bar behind the aluminum.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Dave Hagan

2006-07-03, 20:33

Hrmph. I would have never known that the magnet is in the lid...Open mouth insert foot. I still don't think they will use it though.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-07-03, 21:03

Sure they will. It's a great idea, very clean and novel. Why wouldn't they? Just one more thing not to wear out, snap, get stuck, hang, become bent, come loose, etc.
Dave Hagan

2006-07-03, 21:34

Quote:
Sure they will. It's a great idea, very clean and novel. Why wouldn't they? Just one more thing not to wear out, snap, get stuck, hang, become bent, come loose, etc.
I agree that it's clean and novel, but Apple needs to do something about that hinge with limited range.
julesstoop
Veteran Member

2006-07-04, 00:56

Which excludes using the magnetic latch mechanism at the same time?
Dave Hagan

2006-07-04, 08:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by julesstoop
Which excludes using the magnetic latch mechanism at the same time?
Potentially. I just don't think of it as an outstanding feature. But that's just me, and if I were Apple I would be more interested in incorporating the hinge design and the latch into the same mechanism like they did with the clamshell iBooks. Thus killing 2 birds with 1 stone.
chucker

2006-07-04, 08:31

I'm positive the magnetic latch feature of the MacBook will come to the MacBook Pro, as will the easy hard drive replacement feature. Positive.
Dave Hagan

2006-07-04, 08:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker
I'm positive the magnetic latch feature of the MacBook will come to the MacBook Pro, as will the easy hard drive replacement feature. Positive.
Gut feeling or inside sources ?
chucker

2006-07-04, 08:42

Gut feeling.
Dave Hagan

2006-07-04, 08:54

I really liked the way you could access EVERYTHING on the PowerBook G4 Titanium and the first generation iMac G5s. I hope that Apple would return to that design. It must cost Apple a fortune in service costs when someone has to send one of the current models in for a repair. Having taken apart my 17-inch PowerBook to put in a new hard drive and putting it back together was a real bear and stressful. I was longing for the day when I had my Titanium and it's a relative snap only having to remove the bottom lid.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2006-07-04, 12:04

Quote:
I really liked the way you could access EVERYTHING on the PowerBook G4 Titanium and the first generation iMac G5s. I hope that Apple would return to that design. It must cost Apple a fortune in service costs when someone has to send one of the current models in for a repair. Having taken apart my 17-inch PowerBook to put in a new hard drive and putting it back together was a real bear and stressful. I was longing for the day when I had my Titanium and it's a relative snap only having to remove the bottom lid.
Then there were the days of the Powerbook G3, Wallstreet, Lombard, Pismo. Lift the keyboard, unscrew the head-sink and you could replace the HD in minutes.
halo1982

2006-07-04, 12:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM
Then there were the days of the Powerbook G3, Wallstreet, Lombard, Pismo. Lift the keyboard, unscrew the head-sink and you could replace the HD in minutes.
Replace the HD, upgrade the processor, replace the optical drives, anything! Sure it looked like every other PC laptop, but it really was the golden age of PB upgrading. =P Sigh. *looks at MBP snickering at me over soldered on CPU and 900-screw replacable hard drive/keyboard*

MacBook Pro 15"/2.2GHz C2D/120GB/2GB
Dave Hagan

2006-07-04, 13:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by halo1982
900-screw replacable hard drive/keyboard*
It's more like 18 but it just proves that it's way to cumbersome to deal with. Perhaps Apple didn't want people upgrading so they were forced to buy new PowerBooks and/or Power Macs. Whatever the case may be I think Apple would be wise to return to user accessibility, right down to the damn logic board.
Satchmo
can't read sarcasm.

2006-07-04, 13:17

Quote:
Yeah, the iMac is currently about as distilled-down and elemental as something like that could ever be. Not too many ways to make an AIO with the guts behind the display and still have it be so thin and stylish....

Now that everyone has zagged (following Apple-y design leads), it's time for Apple to zig once again, and give them something to shoot for and copy the next 3-5 years.
Perhaps Apple may surpise us and do redesign something to spice up the line. Not unlike BMW, where the old 5 series received a radical re-design when many thought would never happen. That rocked the entire luxury automobile market and has injected a breath of fresh air.

First the Jellybean iMac, then the Lamp iMac to the Current Slab iMac.
What's next? Maybe a brushed titanium angular design based on the Guggenheim Museum in Bilbao, Spain. Now that would be radical.
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2006-07-04, 14:04

Haha, yeah, I really don't think a redesign is in the works but a 23inch version might be possible. I just hope they put the Conroe in and maybe an HD TV tunner and release it before the WWDC so I can go buy one and get a free iPod at the same time.

Along the lines of the easy hdd replacement with the MacBooks for the MBPs, is it difficult in a current iMac? Perhaps that would be something that could be updated as well.
LaEsperanza
Awaiting Email Confirmation

2006-07-04, 14:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satchmo
Maybe a brushed titanium angular design based on the Guggenheim Museum in Bilbao, Spain. Now that would be radical.
Considering that Frank Gehry has been the designer of Disney buildings in the past and Steve Jobs is now on the board, I think it should happen. Get Gehry to create something that is completely different. The only problem is that he loves things to be extravagent and Apple likes it simple.