Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Wikipedia + Browser Tabs

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Wikipedia + Browser Tabs
intlplby
Veteran Member

2007-03-15, 10:47

Does anyone else here find that whenever they venture to wikipedia to learn about something that they end up with dozens of browsers tabs.....

every time i hit up wikipedia for knowledge i end up command+clicking each link in the article I don't know, when I'm done with that article I go on to the next where I then end up command+clicking even more links within that article. next thing I know I got like 60 tabs open and growing exponentially.

i'm sure there is some sort of equation for this.

numNewTabs = (numCurrentTabs)^(avgUnknownTermsCoef*numLinks)

or something like that

does anyone else here indulge in this guilty pleasure?
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2007-03-15, 11:04

I always find going to Wikipedia is a good "waste" of time.

I've gone there many times to read one thing, click on a link to something else, then something else, etc... and completely forget what I originally went there for.
spikeh
BANNED

Send a message via AIM to spikeh Send a message via MSN to spikeh  
2007-03-15, 11:07

chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-03-15, 11:09

xkcd FTW.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-03-15, 11:22

Sounds like a willpower/focusing issue to me, guys. Ignore 'em...

I love going there. I know it's not gospel, but it's a quick, easy overview to something. I click those other things sometimes and "get lost" myself. But only because I want to.
BlueRabbit
Veteran Member

2007-03-15, 15:36

The 'random article' link is perhaps one of the greatest time-wasters ever invented by man.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2007-03-15, 15:40

Except when it hits boring demographics articles... which I get a lot whenever I click a random article.
Wrao
Yarp

2007-03-15, 15:49

What I think is the funniest thing about Wikipedia. It provides near limitless ammunition for online forum bickering. I have a bad habit of reading politics forums sometimes. I don't participate much, but I dunno, I guess I just like seeing 'real' people talk about world issues. It is especially amusing because nearly every argument. It is abundantly clear, the less informed side runs to Wiki to get a quick crash course, form and opinion, and continue arguing. Sometimes people will even post quotes from wiki articles with a "QED bitch" type attitude.

The worst thing about Wikipedia though, is the topic of this thread. I cannot count the amount of times I have found myself looking up oh, I don't know, numbering schemes for the 3rd syndication of lupin the 3rd's american release... at 2 in the morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spikeh View Post
I know most of my wikisurfing ends in at least lesbianism.

Last edited by Wrao : 2007-03-15 at 15:49. Reason: Posts merged
intlplby
Veteran Member

2007-03-15, 20:42

that comic is classic
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2007-03-16, 05:57

I have a worse problem with Wikipedia. I joined the Stagecraft project (because the pages were frankly awful) and did some work on it...and the other day I found myself clicking on "Recent Changes" and spending 2 hours reverting Vandalism (example "Dillon is a fag") to the Macbeth article. It all seems so futile....