Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Top Case Replacement

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Top Case Replacement
iThink therefore iMac

2008-03-26, 15:11

Hi All,

I took my 15" PowerBook in to an Apple store the other day and I was told that they needed to replace the top case (and my AppleCare runs out in about a month, so GREAT timing!). They didn't have the part in stock, so they ordered it for me. I just got a call letting me know that the part is in and that I can drop off my computer for the repair to be completed.

I forgot to ask how long this type of repair takes (a few hours, a couple days). Does anyone know?

Thanks!
Lyngo

2008-03-26, 22:34

I had to have my topcase replaced and they took the computer in on a Saturday and waited for the part to come in and I was able to get the computer back on Wednesday. It really is dependent on how "backed up" they are with repairs and what not.

There have been other times I have had my computer sent out for repair to Houston, TX (I'm in Rochester, NY), on a Monday and it was back in store repaired on Wednesday that same week!

- Jay
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2008-03-26, 22:42

It took them about 3 days to complete the top case replacement on my wife's MB.
iThink therefore iMac

2008-03-26, 22:49

The good thing is that they ordered the part for me, so I have been able to use my computer for the past few days. Hopefully they will be able to get it done quickly (maybe even same day???).
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2008-03-26, 23:33

Maybe same day if you get it in early enough. I would plan on being without it for at least three though.
iThink therefore iMac

2008-03-27, 00:03

Yeah...I was guessing 2-3 days...but I'm hoping there isn't too much of a backlog.
RobUSVI

2008-03-28, 08:11

> I forgot to ask how long this type of repair takes (a few hours, a couple days). Does anyone know?

It takes about 15 minutes to perform the swap if you know what you are doing. If I remember correctly, four screws on each side, four screws on bottom (towards the back), memory cover (three screws), two more screws under the memory cover, two screws in the battery compartment, and two screws on the back edge. Loosen the top case from the back edges, towards the front, starting on the left side. Three (or four) clips on the front, one near the left center, and two or three at the top of the optical drive. Be careful of the flex cable; don't yank the top case off when it is free or you will break the flex cable.

Don't mix up the screws. Some of the smaller ones are different in length by only a fraction of a mm.

Oh, I forgot, if they have to move the keyboard across, that adds about thirty minutes to the process. Lots of tape, small connectors, and around ten to twelve more screws. Plus you have to be real careful not to scratch up the new top case when installing the keyboard.

All of the above assumes that I am thinking of the correct machine. There is a bit of difference between the various models, but all in all, it is about the same from a time perspective. Regardless, it is less than an hour of labor, even on the difficult ones.
iThink therefore iMac

2008-03-29, 22:38

Well I got a call almost 24 hours after dropping the computer off at the store that it was ready to be picked up.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2008-03-29, 23:54

Great!