User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

9400M replacement

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
9400M replacement
DK-Lach

2009-10-08, 12:36

I'm really in the market for a 13" MBP but i'm wondering about the Nvidia 9400M.

Does any of you know, if the 9400M's replacement is in the immediate pipeline?

I've been googling a bit, but didn't get any proper results and I would be sad, if they upgrade it a week after I buy.

I don't know anything about the Nvidia roadmap, but the 9400M has been around for a while, hasn't it?
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2009-10-08, 15:16

I don't recall the model number (or if it's yet known), but the GeForce 9400M will be replaced by a model with twice the number of cores (32 instead of 16). So I suppose it will have around twice the performance (i.e. a significant improvement). And importantly, it will do this at the same TDP - achieved by using a newer manufacturing process.

There's no guarantee that Apple will use this GPU, of course, but I would wait to see if I could. The next MacBook Pros will also probably have Nehalem processors, which should also be a significant improvement.
Quagmire
meh

2009-10-08, 15:26

We can say welcome back to Intel's GMA's once Apple's lineup goes to Nehalem until NVIDIA's and Intel's dispute is over. Unless Apple wants to continue to put Core 2 Duo's in their machines until it is over, the 9400M replacement won't be seeing a Mac any time soon.

http://www.macrumors.com/2009/10/08/...te-with-intel/

giggity
kdcny

2009-10-08, 15:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagmire View Post
We can say welcome back to Intel's GMA's once Apple's lineup goes to Nehalem.
Probably, but not necessarily. It could mean that now Apple has to go back to discrete graphics across the board in all Macs. I mean, do Intel's integrated graphics support OpenCL? That's kind of a major feature of Snow Leopard, and I don't see Apple starting to sell computers that can't take advantage of it.
Quagmire
meh

2009-10-08, 15:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdcny View Post
Probably, but not necessarily. It could mean that now Apple has to go back to discrete graphics across the board in all Macs. I mean, do Intel's integrated graphics support OpenCL? That's kind of a major feature of Snow Leopard, and I don't see Apple starting to sell computers that can't take advantage of it.
I am sure if this is indeed the case and Apple does not want to go back to discrete graphics, they will demand Intel to develop their new GMA's to make it OpenCL capable. But, I do hope they decide to go back to discrete graphics.

giggity
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2009-10-08, 15:58

I doubt they will go back to discrete graphics, even if they should considering the price of even the low end 13" MBPs. Also next generation Intel graphics will be on the CPU, so Apple wont have too many options.
DK-Lach

2009-10-09, 08:36

Even if the nextgen of Intel CPUs has integrated graphics dosen't mean, that Apple can't add another graphic processor to the system.

And a new graphic-subsystem naturally has to be more powerful, than the chip it replaces...
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2009-10-09, 09:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by DK-Lach View Post
Even if the nextgen of Intel CPUs has integrated graphics dosen't mean, that Apple can't add another graphic processor to the system.

And a new graphic-subsystem naturally has to be more powerful, than the chip it replaces...
This wasn't the case going from the iBook G4 to the first MacBook with the Intel GMA950 "GPU".
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2009-10-10, 13:30

The biggest problem with the GM950 wasn't so much that it was slower, but rather the lack of dedicated memory. IGPs with dedicated memory do better than those without, but for some reason they don't ship with dedicated memory.
screensaver400
Veteran Member

2009-10-10, 13:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
The biggest problem with the GM950 wasn't so much that it was slower, but rather the lack of dedicated memory. IGPs with dedicated memory do better than those without, but for some reason they don't ship with dedicated memory.
I've heard some chatter that that's why Apple moved to ddr3 with the unibodies, that having the faster memory helped the gpu.

I'm not sure I believe it, since I've also heard comments that ddr3 has minimal speed increases for real world tasks, at least when used as system memory.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2009-10-10, 13:46

The main benefit of DDR3 is lower power usage, but it has little to no benefit over the fastest DDR2 memory in terms of speed.
WrestleEwe

Send a message via Skype™ to WrestleEwe 
2009-10-10, 17:26

Yup, it's just the way Apple told us with the launch of the first Mini.

I refer to the text in my .sig, which has disappeared somehow:
"That’s because an “integrated Intel graphics” chip steals power from the CPU and siphons off memory from system-level RAM." (c)'06 ww.apple.com

SGI's O2 had unified memory that worked quite well but I don't see Intel completely redesigning their architecture to make this a viable option.

Last edited by WrestleEwe : 2009-10-11 at 05:34. Reason: edit: .sig gone?
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2009-10-12, 13:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
GMA950 also lacked hardware T&L (transform and lighting) units. These were added to the X300 or whatever they were called Intel integrated GPUs.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2009-10-12, 13:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrestleEwe View Post
Yup, it's just the way Apple told us with the launch of the first Mini.

I refer to the text in my .sig, which has disappeared somehow:
"That’s because an “integrated Intel graphics” chip steals power from the CPU and siphons off memory from system-level RAM." (c)'06 ww.apple.com

SGI's O2 had unified memory that worked quite well but I don't see Intel completely redesigning their architecture to make this a viable option.
Your post has to be a certain length for your sig to show up. I don't know how long that needs to be though.

[edit]
Original post wasn't long enough to show my sig before. Maybe with this added edit my sig will be visible.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-10-12, 13:34

I believe the sig cutoff length is thirty words, but that might have changed since alc (I think) implemented it.