Password
AppleNova Forums » Feedback »

Strange "New Posts" Behavior

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Strange "New Posts" Behavior
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2010-04-02, 13:42

It seems that the "View New Posts" and "Mark Posts Read" links are behaving strangely. More often than not, "Mark Posts Read" isn't doing anything at all. I can double click the forum icons and mark the posts read but the link isn't working. Then, even more strange, clicking on "View New Posts" isn't actually bringing up new posts. I can see the latest posts marked on the front page, but when clicking on "View New Posts" I don't actually get them, I get a list of some other, somewhat recent posts. However, when I click on "View Today's Posts" I get the full list of new posts. This started with the HyruleNova transition and seems to continue, so I'm not sure it's theme related. I don't know if it's strange server behavior or something else but I figured I should let you guys know.

90% of statistics can be made to say anything 50% of the time.
Website | Twitter
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2010-04-02, 15:13

I seem to have a problem with "View Todays Posts" returning no results, but "View New Posts" works ok.

On the other forum I use this kind of problem is generally caused by a server clock vs forum clock mismatch. Worth checking?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2010-04-02, 17:20

What browsers are you guys using?

Try an empty cache and/or browser restart. That seemed to fix it for FFL when he encountered this issue recently.

Server clock looks good, AFAICT. The date command produces correct output and matches the time at the footer of this page.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2010-04-02, 17:45

So far so good after emptying the cache and restarting Safari.

I'm using Safari 4.0.5 on OS X 10.6.3.

After posting and then rechecking "view new posts" and then "mark as read" the same issue prevailed. Based on the forum front page, I can see there are new posts. Again, double clicking the icon is the only way to mark it read.

Website | Twitter
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2010-04-02, 19:36

It's still happening to me periodically with View Today's Posts, and Empty Cache in Safari seems to fix it every time.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2010-04-02, 19:58

Safari 4.0.5 on 10.6.3

Empty cache does, indeed, fix the problem.
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2010-04-03, 11:35

It seems that, for some strange reason, empty cache and restarting Safari does nothing toward this problem. Though, based on FFL and Bryson, I seem to be an outlier. I'm not really sure why it's not working, but it seems like it's something on my end.

Website | Twitter
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2010-04-04, 15:14

So, I finally encountered this bug here too, and clear caches worked for me also. I wonder if this is somehow tied to a recent Safari/OS update (since I just installed 10.6.3) and Safari is simply being a bit too aggressive with its caching now? I haven't changed any settings in the forum software recently that could cause this. Yes, we changed themes for HyruleNova, but that's a change local to some very small areas in the HTML that shouldn't affect this behavior.

Regardless, I've peeked at the HTTP headers and dug around through the vBulletin source code and found one possible suspect. When you perform a search, vBulletin returns an HTTP code 301 which represents "permanent redirect". My only guess so far is that Safari is caching that code and returning the URL with the same searchid instead of executing the search again to generate a new searchid.

I'm going to have to change one of the core functions in vBulletin to make redirects conditionally use 301 permanent or 307 temporary. Hopefully this will do the trick and Safari will work correctly again afterwards.

Things may break as I'm doing this, by the way. Hopefully it won't take long.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2010-04-04, 15:36

Okay, vBulletin's nest of global functions is too horriying tangled to risk making a change like I was originally intending. Instead, I've hacked in a change for the search page specifically to require the interstitial page when performing searches. This doesn't involve any header HTTP redirects but instead uses the old-fashioned meta refresh + javascript trick to push the browser to the desired page.

I've set the timeout on that page to zero seconds; so, the resulting redirect should be almost instantaneous.

So far, it looks promising to me. I've done several hits on the VTP/VNP links and it seems to be giving me current information. Please do let me know if this seems to fix the problem or if you guys keep getting the same stale search results.

Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2010-04-04, 15:57

This is probably unrelated but I've recently started having a problem with threads already viewed. Say I view this thread, then go browse elsewhere, return to see new posts here and click on the little black-circular-arrow that brings you to the newest post. Instead of bringing me to the new posts, with the white piece of paper next to the date, it will bring me a little further up page to one of the recently read posts with a blue piece of paper. I have no idea what causes this, I don't know anything about websites, but does anyone else have a similar problem too?

Maybe I'm just here too much.

User formally known as Sh0eWax
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2010-04-04, 20:05

So it appears that the problem is related to Safari. The new trickery you did with the new posts/today's posts seem fine but the mark read is still acting wonky. I've been using Firefox and am having no issues so I guess that means that the issue is on my end with my version of Safari. I've run the permissions verification process and there was nothing strange. I don't really know what's going on.

Website | Twitter
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2010-04-08, 11:41

I've determined that this is completely related to Safari on my MBP. I don't have the issue in any other browser nor using Safari on any other machine. My question is now how can I fix it?

Is it possible to re-install Safari? Should I clear out all the cookies? What's the best course of action?

Website | Twitter
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2010-04-08, 11:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maciej View Post
This is probably unrelated but I've recently started having a problem with threads already viewed. Say I view this thread, then go browse elsewhere, return to see new posts here and click on the little black-circular-arrow that brings you to the newest post. Instead of bringing me to the new posts, with the white piece of paper next to the date, it will bring me a little further up page to one of the recently read posts with a blue piece of paper. I have no idea what causes this, I don't know anything about websites, but does anyone else have a similar problem too?

Maybe I'm just here too much.
No, I'm getting this too. Didn't get it on Ubuntu Chrome, now getting it on OS X Safari.
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2010-04-10, 13:00

I've reinstalled Safari using the latest version from Apple's site, I deleted all cookies, reset Safari, uninstalled and reinstalled 1Passwords plugin, and repaired all the permissions and the 'mark posts read' issue still appears. I have absolutely no idea why so I'm just going to deal with it and hope it goes away at some point.

Website | Twitter
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2010-04-13, 08:15

I finally figured it out and the issue is now stranger than ever. Apparently when I click on "Mark Posts Read" at the bottom of the page, it don't always work because, for some reason, the homepage is loading before the server can make the update to my session. However, when I copy the link in question (http://forums.applenova.com/forumdis...hp?do=markread) and manually enter it into the browser address bar, it works every time. Again, this is ONLY in Safari on my MacBook Pro, I've not had the issue anywhere else. I don't have a clue why it doesn't register the command, but at least I figured it out.

Website | Twitter
dmegatool
Custom User Title

2010-07-12, 06:47

For a couple of days (weeks?) I've been experiencing weird "new post" behavior. It's just that if I click it, it doesn't reliably show me the new posts. If I click "Today's post" I can see the one I didn't read yet.

Could it be related to Safari's 5 new DNS pre caching feature ? I always had AN in my top sites and never had issue... Don't know why could cause this.

Dave Mustaine :"God created whammy bars for people who don't know how to solo."
dmegatool
Custom User Title

2010-07-12, 07:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmegatool View Post
Could it be related to Safari's 5 new DNS pre caching feature ?
Doesn't make any sense. Why did I say this ?