AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

Any chance of a new mouse at MW?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Any chance of a new mouse at MW?
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
Satchmo
can't read sarcasm.

2007-12-15, 22:33

I know many loathe the mighty mouse. Personally I don't mind it except for the occasional scroll ball hiccup. But nothing a little cleaning can't fix.

But given the new iMac colour scheme and rumoured graphite coloured Macbooks, maybe a new mouse completely void of white might be in order. Of course then, there's still the white keyboard, so I don't know. Maybe white will always remain in Apple's palette but as a secondary colour.
BlueRabbit
Veteran Member

2007-12-15, 23:25

I doubt we'll see a new mouse. Apple seems to have a pretty good track record of keeping peripherals around even though the rest of their lineup has moved on design-wise. For example, the pre-aluminum Cinema Displays and the old white mouse/keyboard combo stuck around for what seemed like forever.

The Mighty Mouse has only been around a couple years, so the biggest change I think we'll see is something internal, to fix the scroll ball cleaning problems.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2007-12-16, 00:12

I think we'll see the trackball replaced with just a "trackpad" over the entire face of the mouse. It's a very Apple-esque solution, and one that they recently patented. Probably not at MWSF, though.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
BlueRabbit
Veteran Member

2007-12-16, 00:31

"And Steve said, let there be Multi-Touch; and there was Multi-Touch.

And Steve saw the Multi-Touch, that it was good..."

DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2007-12-16, 02:21

I think you guys are forgetting how long it took Apple to even get to the mighty mouse. Remember the Pro Mouse? How about the Pro Keyboard? Hockey puck, anyone?

I'd be beyond shocked if Apple actually started paying attention to their peripherals which have always been an afterthought.

Apple's history of mice isn't good and the Mighty Mouse did nothing to improve that. It's not a good product, it's too expensive, it's over thought and under engineered. It has a long way to go before it's truly, "mighty." It's a shame, a product with so much potential, so much promise. Too bad it went so wrong.

Come waste your time with me
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2007-12-16, 05:32

"I want a new mouse!"

WrestleEwe

Send a message via Skype™ to WrestleEwe 
2007-12-16, 08:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMBand0026 View Post
I think you guys are forgetting how long it took Apple to even get to the mighty mouse. Remember the Pro Mouse? How about the Pro Keyboard? Hockey puck, anyone?

I'd be beyond shocked if Apple actually started paying attention to their peripherals which have always been an afterthought.

Apple's history of mice isn't good and the Mighty Mouse did nothing to improve that. It's not a good product, it's too expensive, it's over thought and under engineered. It has a long way to go before it's truly, "mighty." It's a shame, a product with so much potential, so much promise. Too bad it went so wrong.
To be fair to Steve; ergonomics is a very long word...
DK-Lach

2007-12-16, 10:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugge View Post

Ha ha ha!

That customer sounds a bit like David Lynch!
Satchmo
can't read sarcasm.

2007-12-16, 11:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRabbit View Post
"And Steve said, let there be Multi-Touch; and there was Multi-Touch.

And Steve saw the Multi-Touch, that it was good..."

Yeah good for general interface navigation, but try drawing a complex illustration in Photoshop or Illustrator using your finger. That's going to be one worn out finger tip.

Could we see an integrated (and elongated) keyboard with trackpad area that can be used with a stylus? I know, it's not very Apple-like. The more I think about it, the mouse will be here to stay. It's what separated Macs from early PC's. It's in the DNA. Multi-touch will play a role, but perhaps just for the rumoured tablet.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2007-12-16, 11:46

More likely, it would be a might mouse, with a multi-touch pad in place of the physical ball, rather than a trackpad.
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2007-12-16, 11:53

The Mighty Multi Mouse™

BlueRabbit
Veteran Member

2007-12-16, 13:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satchmo View Post
Yeah good for general interface navigation, but try drawing a complex illustration in Photoshop or Illustrator using your finger. That's going to be one worn out finger tip.
Actually, what I was referring to was this Apple patent, which seems to involve a method for doing Multi-Touch via imaging hand positions on the surface of a mouse - sort of like PB PM's suggestion, except over the entire top of the mouse. The patent is pretty vague as to what you could actually do with this, but it seems pretty cool.
kshackelford

2007-12-25, 20:31

I pray one day apple will make a nice bluetooth real 2 button mouse!
spikeh
BANNED

Send a message via AIM to spikeh Send a message via MSN to spikeh  
2007-12-26, 13:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRabbit View Post
I doubt we'll see a new mouse. Apple seems to have a pretty good track record of keeping peripherals around even though the rest of their lineup has moved on design-wise. For example, the pre-aluminum Cinema Displays and the old white mouse/keyboard combo stuck around for what seemed like forever.

The Mighty Mouse has only been around a couple years, so the biggest change I think we'll see is something internal, to fix the scroll ball cleaning problems.
FYI the old white keyboard is still in circulation. They display with Mac Pros at all retail stores.
BlueRabbit
Veteran Member

2007-12-26, 16:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by spikeh View Post
FYI the old white keyboard is still in circulation. They display with Mac Pros at all retail stores.
That's interesting...there's no good reason for them to not have the new keyboards included with everything, unless they're trying to get rid of extra inventory of the old version. It seems likely that any Mac Pro update at Macworld will include the new keyboard in the box, then.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2007-12-26, 16:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman View Post
I think we'll see the trackball replaced with just a "trackpad" over the entire face of the mouse. It's a very Apple-esque solution, and one that they recently patented. Probably not at MWSF, though.
At that point, Apple's input devices would go from "mildly annoying" to "useless for actually doing any kind of work."
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2007-12-26, 21:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca View Post
At that point, Apple's input devices would go from "mildly annoying" to "useless for actually doing any kind of work."
...which pretty much guarantees that Apple will release it in the near future.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2007-12-26, 23:59

I don't see why, Luca.

It'll be just like the current Mighty Mouse, where it senses where you touch it. The only difference is that, by moving your finger across it, you'll be able to scroll around. It'll be just like the current Mighty Mouse, only without that scoll ball that everyone loves to hate.

And I could actually see Apple calling it the "Multi Mouse." "Multi-touch" = the new Cover Flow.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-12-27, 00:12

Anything's better than that stupid little pea-sized ball that seems to stop working for everyone I know after approximately six months.

Anyone have a Mighty Mouse that's older than one year and the little scroll ball still works? Don't lie...be serious.

Mine crapped out on my in 2-3 agonizing stages, never recovering from the final one. Currently, two friends are experiencing the same thing. And I expect my Dad to encounter this come February or so...

Put a little round sensor there, the size of a marble or dime, that simply reads directional pressure (left, right, up, down and diagonals...just like the ball does, but without an actual ball that loves to stop working right when you get used to it and love using it).

No, I'm not bitter. Why?

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2007-12-27, 00:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Anything's better than that stupid little pea-sized ball that seems to stop working for everyone I know after approximately six months.

Anyone have a Mighty Mouse that's older than one year and the little scroll ball still works? Don't lie...be serious.

Mine crapped out on my in 2-3 agonizing stages, never recovering from the final one. Currently, two friends are experiencing the same thing. And I expect my Dad to encounter this come February or so...

Put a little round sensor there, the size of a marble or dime, that simply reads directional pressure (left, right, up, down and diagonals...just like the ball does, but without an actual ball that loves to stop working right when you get used to it and love using it).

No, I'm not bitter. Why?

Actually, I see Apple making the entire mouse-top (or at least the part you place your fingers) a sensor. (It already is...that's how it senses between left and right clicks. They would just need to make it more precise.)

Imagine that...a mouse you move around with no visible buttons or scroll wheels/balls. Just one solid oval...and technical wizardry does the rest. What could be more Apple?

Last edited by Robo : 2007-12-27 at 00:59.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-12-27, 00:49

True. I'd be interested in that (I assume it would come with any new Mac desktop).
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2007-12-27, 01:58

Quote:

Yup, mine does. Two years old, and still ticking. That said, I only use it about 30% of the time now, since I like my wireless mouse better. The MM has gotten its fair share of use in the last two years though; since it was the only mouse I used for the first year I had it, due to my liking of the 360º scrolling while using painting apps.
Anthem

2007-12-29, 14:23

Quote:
Yeah, I do. But it's been in a box for most of that time. Replaced it with a $2 Fry's Special... best upgrade I've given my Mac.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-12-29, 15:40

Answers to my question of "does anyone have a Mighty Mouse where the scroll ball is still working?":

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
Yup, mine does. Two years old, and still ticking. That said, I only use it about 30% of the time now...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
Yeah, I do. But it's been in a box for most of that time...

Not exactly the hard, real-world answers I after.

"I've had one for three years and it works perfectly! I used it for 20 minutes the first day I got it, but it's been in the attic ever since...".

**SMACK!!!**

Try again, folks. Any actual day-to-day, real-world usage Mighty Mouses (Mice?) out there with working scroll balls after 6-12 months?

Shades of Blue

2007-12-29, 17:00

Mine lasted about 8 months before the scroll ball starting crappy out, and maybe 12 before right-click mysteriously stopped being detected. So it's useless for me now.

Quite a bummer, because I do like the Mighty Mouse when it's working perfectly.
Satchmo
can't read sarcasm.

2007-12-29, 19:31

To be honest, I've only had sporatic problems with the tiny scroll ball. I've had my iMac now for about a year and half, and can only recall a few times when the ball suddenly went dead. I usually give it a shake or do a quick wipe down and it's back and running.
No, the Mighty Mouse is not perfect by any means, but when it works, it's not bad.
electroniccpluralsleep

2007-12-29, 19:47

Microsoft really get their mouses right. I've had the same one for 6 years or so now, and although it looks a little out of place parked next to my MacBook Pro, it's still the best on the market IMO.
thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2007-12-29, 20:19

Logitech MX Revolution. Expensive. But brilliant. http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/mi...mice/&cl=gb,en
Anthem

2007-12-29, 20:32

Quote:

"I've had one for three years and it works perfectly! I used it for 20 minutes the first day I got it, but it's been in the attic ever since...".

**SMACK!!!**

Hey, I did what I could to help you out. I honestly can't imagine using the MM for an entire year, scroll buttons or no.

In case you can't tell, I dislike the Mighty more than a little. The really funny thing is that Microsoft's Intellimouse Explorer series are actually some of the better meeses I've used. Everybody knocks MS, and with good reason, but their peripherals unit is (or used to be, at least) pretty solid.
Anthem

2007-12-29, 20:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegeriatric View Post
Logitech MX Revolution. Expensive. But brilliant. http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/mi...mice/&cl=gb,en
I've used it. It is brilliant.

Too rich for my blood, but if I was back in the text design world that I used to be in, I'd get the company to shell out for one of those, no matter what platform I was on.