Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Any chance of a new mouse at MW?
Page 2 of 2 Previous 1 [2]  Thread Tools
WrestleEwe

Send a message via Skype™ to WrestleEwe 
2007-12-30, 07:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
In case you can't tell, I dislike the Mighty more than a little. The really funny thing is that Microsoft's Intellimouse Explorer series are actually some of the better meeses I've used. Everybody knocks MS, and with good reason, but their peripherals unit is (or used to be, at least) pretty solid.
Very true, expecially if you have the older series that still 'click' when you turn the scroll wheel. I still have a few of those on spare, but somehow my first one still hasn't crapped out.

Apple would be wise to take some tips from MS regarding ergonomics and useability. There are so many things wrong with the MM, it's not even funny...
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2007-12-30, 16:22

If there's one change I'd like to see Apple make, it would be to introduce pressure sensors into the mouse so it can tell if you're right clicking without having to lift up your left finger.

But yeah, they have to fix the scroll ball too. Not sure how they'll do that.
nikstar101
Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to nikstar101  
2007-12-30, 16:23

I must admit that Microsoft Mice are pretty good. I did have a logitech one a number of years back, but when i got my PowerMac G5 Sept 03 bought a Wireless MS mouse which i am still using today (with the PM). It is great.

Ok its not elegant but it does the job. Apple need to look at the functionality first rather than beauty.

Nick
Koodari
Veteran Member

2007-12-30, 16:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca View Post
If there's one change I'd like to see Apple make, it would be to introduce pressure sensors into the mouse so it can tell if you're right clicking without having to lift up your left finger.
That's what I thought the first time I heard about MM. I can sort of understand and respect the vision they had for the mouse, even though it's not for me, but they completely blew the implementation. Pressure sensitivity is needed to do it right.
Quote:
But yeah, they have to fix the scroll ball too. Not sure how they'll do that.
Just making the ball considerably bigger should deal with the malfunction. AFAIK trackballs don't jam like the Apple nipple does.

But the mouse has a ton of other problems, like the hardest drag-and-lift on any mouse I have ever seen strictly because of the physical design, and also inferior optical sensor quality. I believe Logitech's cheapest model today has a sensor better than the wired MM.
Koodari
Veteran Member

2007-12-30, 17:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by electroniccpluralsleep View Post
Microsoft really get their mouses right. I've had the same one for 6 years or so now, and although it looks a little out of place parked next to my MacBook Pro, it's still the best on the market IMO.
Logitech, Razer and Microsoft make the best mice. The rest is personal ergonomic preference, really. Logitech and Razer have fit my hands best. The Logitech MX310 was, in hindsight, *the* best investment I have ever made in a computer part. Still works great after many years, it only dropped into backup status because I wanted the accuracy of recent mice and picked up a Razer Lachesis.

Lately Microsoft has been buying tech, design and branding from Razer (see Microsoft Habu) to keep up so that tells something.
World Leader Pretend
Ruling teh World

2007-12-30, 18:11

The issue for me is that I want a fully bluetooth mouse without a little dongle, which are very hard to find for a desktop computer. The Mighty Mouse is about the only full-sized laser mouse that syncs via bluetooth.

I just don't have the usb ports or the desk space for a RF dongle.
kshackelford

2007-12-30, 22:15

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...A&mco=52083270

is a good mouse! no dongle either. Prob the best mouse apple store sells at the moment.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2008-01-02, 17:35

I'd like to take a moment to reiterate my utter distain for the Mighty Mouse. I'm posting from a brand new 24" iMac 2.8ghz Core 2 Duo Extreme that I'm ready to throw out the window because I'm so frustrated with the mighty mouse that it came with.

I realize that it's not the computer's fault, but with a computer as amazing as this one is, why the hell can't it ship with a useful mouse?

I'm used to a Lotitech MX1000 so I'm spoiled by using what I consider to be among the (if not the) best mice ever made.

The mighty mouse hasn't worked correctly from the moment it was taken out of the box. The tracking is jumpy, the right click seems to function only when it feels like it, the scroll ball is essentially useless (although I suspect that's because I'm so used to the Logitech's scroll wheel.) At least once every 5 minutes the cursor will jump to one corner of the screen causing exposé or dashboard to activate and causing me to lose the cursor. This is the very definition of counterproductive.

Edit: I'm really enjoying Apple's new keyboard though. Very comfortable, quiet, excellent tactile feedback, not too easy but not too tough key travel, excellent key spacing. Great keyboard. Thumbs up!

Come waste your time with me
Dutch Pear

2008-01-03, 03:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMBand0026 View Post
The mighty mouse hasn't worked correctly from the moment it was taken out of the box. The tracking is jumpy, the right click seems to function only when it feels like it, the scroll ball is essentially useless (although I suspect that's because I'm so used to the Logitech's scroll wheel.) At least once every 5 minutes the cursor will jump to one corner of the screen causing exposé or dashboard to activate and causing me to lose the cursor. This is the very definition of counterproductive.
Sounds like the surface of your desk isn't liked by your mouse. Had the cursor-jumping problem with severent optical mice. I found such problems common with shiny/reflective desk surfaces. Try a mousepad, or simply a clean sheet of paper. WRT the right-click: make sure you don't even touch the left-click area when you right click.