User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

is the PowerBook really worth it's money?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
is the PowerBook really worth it's money?
.Hack
Valiant Vicks Vizier

2005-02-01, 20:54

ok... I've been having a slight "debate" with a friend of mine. He's been using macs much longer, so he has more experience. I like to go to him with buying advice. But this time, I've made my mind up that I want to get a new powerbook, but my friend says that it's not worth the money since it costs more for the portability aspect. But I need the portablility. Sure, an iMac G5 sounds nice, but I need portability. Is my friend right in saying that I'm paying more for less, and it's only for portability?
RC23

2005-02-01, 20:57

im having the SAME dilema.. im scared that the power in this "powerbook" really isnt enough..
yet the imac g5 isnt portable but its got more power. and the imac g5 display has 350:1... thats... horrible!

same price range.

im really lost.

im sorta thinking about going with a dual 1.8 and getting a third party screen..
seems like the "smartest" way to buy right now.
cutman

2005-02-01, 21:07

I don't mean to be a jerk, but I don't understand "problems" like this. If you need a PORTABLE computer, get the best one you can afford. If you don't need a portable computer, get the best desktop you can afford.

I just dropped $2300+ on a new Powerbook, and I know that it's not nearly as good as the desktops in the price range. Hell, it's not that much better than my 5 year old upgraded Sawtooth. However, I absolutely need a portable computer, so the price is more than justifiable in my opinion.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-02-01, 21:11

Do you NEED the power of a PowerBook? iBooks aren't that bad, really. They're not super fast but they're not really slow either. For 75% of what I do, an iBook (even an old G3 iBook) would be fine. Ask yourself what you're going to be doing first, then consider a lower-end system if you are hesitant about paying full price for a brand new one.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2005-02-01, 21:14

well, if you truly NEED portability, then this question has answered itself. you need a laptop of some kind.

my next question would be what are you planning on doing with it that you need power. personally the only reason i wouldn't buy a powerbook is because i'd be more interested in an iBook. much better bang for your buck. save the difference in what you would have spent and buy yourself another iBook in a year and a half. you'll have a faster machine that the PowerBook of today, and still have some money left over.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
Wrao
Yarp

2005-02-01, 21:19

Personally, I think the newly released powerbooks are quite a bargain, you really do get a lot of bang for your buck. And if you need portability, I'd say go for it. Of course, if price is a big concern you could probably get a used rev 2 aluminum for way cheaper, still a very capable computer.
autodata
hustlin

2005-02-01, 21:40

I started buying powerbooks a couple years ago and I'll never go back to a tower if I can help it. I also don't have any problems with the processor speed at this point. In fact, my ghz titanium is the first computer I've ever owned that hasn't had me wishing for more power. And, yes, I've done a lot of video work on it since one of my side hobbies is doing motion graphics art for club/gallery shows.

The only problem is that it's easier to break stuff.

For a personal computer being used by one person, I just don't see the purpose in buying a desktop anymore. With wireless internet, I don't think about 'using the computer,' it's just integrated into everyday life no matter where I am.

We have a number of laptops in the house and it's all so simple that it's just like picking up books that do whatever you want them to.
Wrao
Yarp

2005-02-01, 22:22

Yea, I don't think I'll ever return to desktops either.
RC23

2005-02-01, 22:32

i wish i could make that switch..
i wanna do stuff with motion/fcphd/soundtrack/protools/dvd studio pro/photoshop/after effects..
aslong as it can handle those appls nicely im sold.

shake i can save for the dual g4's at school.
Zodiac
Shiny, Musky, Fleshy Member

2005-02-01, 23:09

The PB pricing looks pretty damn fine to me...
FearlessLeader

2005-02-02, 00:11

I think it depends on what you are wanting out of your laptop.

Me? I'm writing a doctoral thesis and I need a machine for storing my music and photos, running Keynote presentations at work, and various other low-level tasks. I want it to remain useful for three years, at which point I will replace it.

I spend a lot of time on my machine, and I like the Powerbook because it really is the "Rolls Royce" of laptops. It is a stunning machine, it is comfortable to use, and it provides a great overall user experience.

Like a Rolls Royce, while it is fantastic to use, you can find cheaper alternatives that out-perform it, but frankly they lack its character and quality. And that will make big a difference to me over thousands of hours of use.

Do I want a speed demon? Well it would be nice, but it's not what is going to make the difference for me personally. (so right now, I'm a very good Apple Powerbook customer, thinking just like Uncle Steve wants)

I'm sure there are others around here who really want the speed. All the grace and well-honed industrial design in the world won't make up for the fact that they can't do some processor intensive tasks they way they would like. And there's nothing wrong with that.

For me, when you look at the other laptops on the market (and the fact that they don't run OSX ) a Powerbook is well worth the money, and I will get my moneys-worth from it very easily. (Once it arrives, given that I only ordered it today)

So I guess the answer very much depends on what you want to do with it.

I would say that while the G4 processor is not a patch on the G5 in some respects, it is sometimes maligned quite unfairly. Altivec (which is better implemented in the G4 than the G5) has really helped to extend the life of the chip, and at some tasks lets it punch well above its weight. (and boy am I gonna get in trouble for saying that ...)

For me, absolutely, the new PBs are a no-brainer. I have no idea if it is the right machine for you ... what do you want to do with it?
NaMo4184

2005-02-02, 19:00

I don't think its really worth the money. I am using a 12 inch iBook and haven't had any problems with needing more cpu power. I think its better to get a ibook and replace it ever 1.5 years than to blow 2gs on one computer.

For example. Last year my friend bought a power book that was 1ghz. a couple of months later i bought a an ibook and guess what it was also 1ghz. Even if u are doing video editing and all that stuff the 1ghz power book was fine a year ago so why not a 1.2 ghz ibook right now.
mama's left eye

2005-02-02, 19:06

I considered much more than just processor speed, and had to go with the powerbook. Better hard drive, more space for ram, better vid card, FW 800, better resolution, and backlit keyboard. It will have a much longer lifespan for me than an iBook.

It is better to be judged by twelve than to be carried by six.
wuf

Send a message via AIM to wuf Send a message via MSN to wuf  
2005-02-02, 20:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama's left eye
I considered much more than just processor speed, and had to go with the powerbook. Better hard drive, more space for ram, better vid card, FW 800, better resolution, and backlit keyboard. It will have a much longer lifespan for me than an iBook.
Are you saying just because it can be upgraded more, it will last longer? I don't think that just because you have a backlit keyboard or better vid card, your machine will last any longer than any other machine.

I know people that are still using beige G3's just fine, and I know of people that have had PB's for a couple years and had to replace things (ie-hard drives) on them. I think a machine will last as long as you take good care of it.

Yes, I realize HD's die for no apparent reason. I think that happen just as much in any Mac machine.

My 2 cents worth....

-wuf
defaultmike

2005-02-02, 21:06

I decided on getting an iBook instead of a powerbook for my personal things. I figure my Dual 2.0 GHz G5 will be solely for my pro design work, and the digital pics, mp3s, videos, wireless internet browsing will be done solely on the iBook.

I can see how a powerbook would be more useful for "power users", but it still lacks compared to PC laptops price/spec-wise. Mind you, I'd pick it over any souped up PC laptop anyday of the week though. And sure, u can argue that it does have things like the Sudden Motion Sensor and the new trackpad thingie, Bluetooth 2.0, etc, but solely if what u want is power... it offers slightly less for a bit more $$$.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2005-02-02, 21:34

The last machine I bought was an iBook. I bought it as a portable option to my desktop. I mainly work in Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Office and a few webdesign apps. Up until this fall I felt that this machine was fast, and it's only 600Mhz. If you are running VIDEO apps or studio MUSIC apps or beefy ANIMATION apps then think desktop and power. If you are just checking email, playing online and using your computer like a celebrated typewriter then you're playing to your vanity to get the "fastest" machine available. Figure out your needs and your work habits. If a laptop has the most checkmarks beside it then pick it. If the desktop really fits your requirements then pick it.

This is one of those things that you'll have to pick yourself. And don't discount your gut feeling. If you go with logic, but against your heart, you'll never enjoy the experience. I suspect you already know what you want but want somebody else to tell you what to get~

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter