User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Feedback »

Post count (and reputation) removed due to recent post lameness.

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
View Poll Results: scratt wanted to add a poll to vote on bringing back the counters
No, sillies. 46 30.46%
Leave them in the user CP 27 17.88%
Put them back in the main thread view 45 29.80%
Beer. 33 21.85%
Voters: 151. You may not vote on this poll

Post count (and reputation) removed due to recent post lameness.
Page 3 of 14 Previous 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7  Next Last Thread Tools
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2006-05-24, 21:40

I do hope that Molblin is safe and sound.

And that his sanctuary will be secret to everyone, of course.

Last edited by Banana : 2006-05-24 at 21:50.
rollercoaster375

Send a message via AIM to rollercoaster375 Send a message via MSN to rollercoaster375 Send a message via Yahoo to rollercoaster375 Send a message via Skype™ to rollercoaster375 
2006-05-24, 21:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
Searches only return the first 500 results.

FYI.
Well, that provides all that we really need to know: whether or not somebody is active.
macleod
Now in lower-case™!

2006-05-25, 01:08

Is it just me or are post counts back up but only when you view someone's profile? Was that nevere removed? Sorry I didn't track the changes much today.
Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

Send a message via AIM to Ebby  
2006-05-25, 01:17

I am so tempted to change my User Title to "Posts: 1,142" but won't tempt fate.
I just got this privilege. Won't mess it up now.

^^ One more quality post from the desk of Ebby. ^^
SSBA | SmockBogger | SporkNET
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2006-05-25, 03:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcimedes
We're working on a better solution.

So far it involves beer and a stripper. This might take a while.
Here's the the better solution.... Although I understand the reason for the change.

EDIT - Date of joining does not acurately convey someone's participation in the 'melee', unless coupled with post count IMHO.

I think the post information is relevant, not so much as in seniority in the forums, but so that newer users know a little bit about the people they are talking to. i.e. Someone with a few thousand posts is more likely to be a little more socially stable (present company excepted of course ) than somone who has just stumbled upon AN and feels like trolling..

i.e. a rebuke, or advice from somone with a few thousand posts will be taken more seriously than someone with 5! Often people are quick to retort here and I feel that without that information available at a glance, it runs us in to danger of more flame wars erupting..

Although I am sure the Overlords have already debated all this already.. Just thought I'd chuck my 2c in.

EDIT - From a personal point of view I find it interesting seeing people's post counts when I have been away for a week or so, or not spoken to them for a while.. That small pleasure seems to be denied now, unless one makes the effort to go and check out their info.

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt

Last edited by scratt : 2006-05-25 at 03:16.
usurp
High Monarch of MacDebate

2006-05-25, 05:29

I think I have a solution.
- All our usernames should be replaced by generic ones like AN001 or AN002 etc..
- You remove all other non important location like Location, Join Date etc..
- Finally, every month you offer a chance for one user to be chosen to go to "The Island"

portable: MacBook 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM, 250GB HD | personal: PowerMac G5 dual 2.3ghz, 6GB RAM, 6TB HD | work: MacBook Pro 2.5ghz, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD | car: Alpine iDA-W407 with black iPod 80GB | pocket: iPhone 3GS with Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 Pro's
scratt
Veteran Member

2006-05-25, 05:34

What about offering them the chance for one user to be chosen to go to 'Thailand'.

Send Carol over first.. She can spank me on the beach and then explain why she had to do it, to my wife...

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2006-05-25, 05:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratt
What about offering them the chance for one user to be chosen to go to 'Thailand'.

Send Carol over first.. She can spank me on the beach and then explain why she had to do it, to my wife...
Just send the admins of this board some Kratom and chill them out…you DO lived in Thailand.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2006-05-25, 06:26

Scratt person.
You have a point.
Whoever you are.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2006-05-25, 08:31

Ok, posts and posts per day are back on a user's CP page. We talked about this some and it seems like the best compromise. You can still see how many posts someone has, but it's not jumping out in your face every page.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Windowsrookie Send a message via MSN to Windowsrookie Send a message via Yahoo to Windowsrookie  
2006-05-25, 08:40

I still like it better the old way, Who cares who has more posts. It just depends how long you have been here/how much you post. People can't get mad at brad for having more posts than them. He is here more, and posts more.


scratt
Veteran Member

2006-05-25, 08:47

I would have to say, for what my vote is worth, I agree with windowsrookie.

Post Count is a good feature to have in the threads.

Just my 2c.

I know AN is not a democracy, but can we have a vote on this?

Argento
I puked at work.
Because I'm a pussy.

2006-05-25, 08:47

Honestly what the fuck does it matter? If you like numbers write them on a posted note and put them around your monitor. Then you will be kewl again.
scratt
Veteran Member

2006-05-25, 09:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argento
Honestly what the fuck does it matter? If you like numbers write them on a posted note and put them around your monitor. Then you will be kewl again.
It's not about cool Argento. Perhaps if certain people didn't see it that way, like perhap you, then we might not have the problem...

Last edited by scratt : 2006-05-25 at 09:32.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-05-25, 09:15

Quote:
can we have a vote on this?
You can vote, but it probably won't influence the outcome.
Foj
Veteran Member

2006-05-25, 09:22

personally, i'm in the 'post quality over quantity' train of thought(though not always in practice) and i'm fine with the post count not showing up when you post, but i do miss the green dots in my profile.

A knife and a fork, a bottle and a cork, that's the way to spell New York.
scratt
Veteran Member

2006-05-25, 09:37

Quote:
You can vote, but it probably won't influence the outcome.
Go on then.. For shits 'n' giggles put a post on this thread..
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-05-25, 09:46

Quote:
Go on then.. For shits 'n' giggles put a poll on this thread..
T,ftfy.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-05-25, 09:58

Done, kimo.
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2006-05-25, 10:15

Quote:
Done, kimo.
Qualitay!

Who says the overlords don't respond to requests promptly.

We didn't specify what kind of tacos...

Soft -v- Hard
Chicken - Beef - Fish
scratt
Veteran Member

2006-05-25, 10:32

Sweet, thanks for humouring me Overlords.

Glad to see everyone who has voted so far has taken it so seriously!!
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2006-05-25, 10:44

From what I understand, reputation system is primarily there as a mean of self-policing members who get out of line, and not really about who's most popular or rite most hilarious posts?

If this is indeed the case, why not simply "flatten" the reputation. Give everyone a set amount of points, oh say, 100 points. If they get out of line, they lose points and if they lose too many points, their ability to post and other stuff becomes restricted.

Would this be a solution you'd be interested in?
Argento
I puked at work.
Because I'm a pussy.

2006-05-25, 10:52

What if we want to vote for more than one option? I had to choose between beer and being serious, how dare you make me choose.
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2006-05-25, 10:53

Choose beer. Then nothing has to be serious
Oompa Loompa
Awaiting Email Confirmation

2006-05-25, 11:00

Why should a reputation system be necessary at all? Those of us who are eggheads will not suddenly stop being eggheads.
Those of us who are slightly less gifted will always be little retards.

Does the reputation system in anyway affect the quality of the posts? I don't know, really.

Anyone?

P.S. I have a little green dot growing on my buttocks. It's so sweet!

Last edited by Oompa Loompa : 2006-05-25 at 11:06.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2006-05-25, 11:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oompa Loompa
I recommend a good fungicide?

scratt
Veteran Member

2006-05-25, 11:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana
From what I understand, reputation system is primarily there as a mean of self-policing members who get out of line, and not really about who's most popular or rite most hilarious posts?

If this is indeed the case, why not simply "flatten" the reputation. Give everyone a set amount of points, oh say, 100 points. If they get out of line, they lose points and if they lose too many points, their ability to post and other stuff becomes restricted.

Would this be a solution you'd be interested in?
Personally, not really. No offense. Let's not get ahead of ourselves here..

The Overlords [ *does small curtsy* ] do a fine job, and everything works well as it is here.

I think AN is fine just the way it is.. My only wish is that the user info stayed as it was. But it's no biggie at the end of the day.. and that's only my view amongst all the far more relevant and important thoughts about Tacos and stuff..

Hmm.. Tacos.. Way to get me to forget what I was wound up about..

Slightly off the main thrust of the topic.. I do think knowing your post count info personally is essential, if only to be able to account for the time lost here each year of our lives, posting! So thanks, for putting it back in the CP. I didn't know it had been removed.

And I think the person giving reps, and the comment are quite a usefull snapshot, if nothing else, of your current state of mind, and that of people you are interacting with.. and over time in the community as a whole.. So I think the rep system is good for moderation, both 'Overlord-ish' and personal.

scratt
Veteran Member

2006-05-25, 11:21

Hey Brad, you only put beer in because 'Put it back' is ahead of both 'no' and 'hell no' even if you add them together!!! Of course the cool people who want to put it back are going to be confused and vote for beer now.. Sheesh!

So I suggest we split beer evenly over the 'No' vote and the 'Put it back' vote..

EDIT - Then 'Put it back' will be level pegging with 'Leave it in the CP' choice...

Can we get a Pie Chart of this, and perhaps some Exit Polls before the Final Vote is in....

Foj
Veteran Member

2006-05-25, 11:24

Quote:
Why should a reputation system be necessary at all? Does the reputation system in anyway affect the quality of the posts?
It may not be necessary, but I think we should keep it, if only in the user profile. I think it does affect the quality of posts a little bit, it can certainly indicates which posts are not quality posts.

A knife and a fork, a bottle and a cork, that's the way to spell New York.

Last edited by Foj : 2006-05-25 at 12:39.
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2006-05-25, 11:32

Post counts in and of themselves say nothing about the value of the ideas from a given poster, only that they're a more or less prolific poster (i.e.: have no life other than posting or know what the outside world is like). Although they do impact things like access to the bazaar.

There are plenty of longtime lurkers whose few posts are informative and therefore very high in signal to noise ratio. There are others who have plenty of experience with the submit button but apparently not much depth in their pond.

Reputation (in an ideal world) might be a means of validating that signal to noise ratio, but it's particularly useful for those who aren't longtime members and don't already know the tone and tenor of most of our poster's writing. It's also a handy place for gauging feedback on what the membership likes or doesn't like about your posts (without taking the relevant thread OT). This can help reinforce good habits/sense of humour/etc. Or not.

As for how it affects the quality of posts, I suspect that some folks sometimes post fishing for reputation, in much the same way some teens seek validation in cliqués or membership in clubs through actions designed to get noticed. There have been members here who seemed to seek attention (positive or negative) and act out (usually as a drama queen complaining that Brad is ______ ) until they got banned.

Immaturity of this kind I think would occur irrespective of the reputation system being in place, but in part because we have the system, folks can flag them early and others can take them with a load of salt.

Generally, I think the more mature members don't suffer these problems (go figure... green wisdom points!), and as I understand the system, longer term members have more rep to dish anyway, so those who've been here long enough to spot the thinkers from the trolls may not need rep to tell who's who.

Brad has at times had to repeatedly quote in his sig the line about quality posts making us a quality board, so there's clearly a % of the membership who can use the reminder... if a rep point system makes that clear by rewarding quality posts, I say keep it.

Quote:
And Oompa, it depends if it's a pale green dot or a bright green dot, and where. I'd wager it's a bit salty too.

Full Disclosure: this was my 2,999th post. Yay me. <checks depth of pond>

All those who believe in telekinesis, raise my hand.

Last edited by curiousuburb : 2006-05-25 at 11:42.