Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Secure file transfer over network

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Secure file transfer over network
scrouds

2005-08-26, 20:32

Here's the setup:
iMac G4, wired into campus network, ruinning Panther.
and my new iBook, with Tiger

what i want to do is use my iBook on the public wireless network to access the files on my iMac G4. I tried checking off use ssh when trying to connect to the server, but it tells me that the server does not support secure connections via SSH, and gives me the option to send the password in the clear.

Over the non-protected wireless network and campus network. Not good.

I'm not worried about the data being protected, but i certaintly want the login/password protected.

I tried setting up an SSH tunnel manually, but it didn't work (if i even did it right)

Are there any work arounds to enable it?
Will upgrading the iMac to Tiger fix my problem?
Or, are they any third party solutions?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-08-26, 21:35

Simple solution:

1. Enable SSH on the iMac (System Prefs -> Sharing -> Services -> Remote Login).
2. Download Fugu or Cyberduck on your iBook.
3. Use said app to connect to your iMac using the "SFTP" option.

You don't need to have an FTP server open on your iMac to use SFTP; all you need is SSH. This is a lot easier than figuring out port forwarding.

If this short procedure doesn't work, then your school is doing some evil, evil port blocking on the network. Of all the ports to block, SSH should be last on the list.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
scrouds

2005-08-26, 22:01

Thanks Brad, worked like a charm.

PS. The iBook is still behind the campus internet filters, so none of the ports are blocked.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-08-26, 22:09

Glad it worked.

If you're into remotely accessing your computer for various purposes like this, you might be interested in my explanation about Securing a Remote VNC Session with SSH. When I used to live on campus and before I had a PowerBook, I would routinely work on my Power Mac from other lab using this method.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.